Old 02-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #1  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Default Battle of the Bulge #11

Here is the new thread...enjoy!

Just a reminder- today is weigh in day.

Also-

Monday- support day and a good day for tips on staying motivated

Tuesday- support day and a good day for reasons why we want to lose- I think that keeps us motivated more than anything when we reexamine why we want to lose..

Wednesday- "what have I been eating all week day" and I want to start trying to get everyone to share quick recipes or tips on cooking that work for them.

Thursday- "what I have done to move my bootie day" and I want to get everyone to start giving us an idea on how they work exercise into their lives and the things they enjoy doing.

Friday- support and influence day- lets make this a day we talk about anything or anyone that influenced our weight loss for the week- things like friends giving bad foods or a partner that supported our efforts.

Saturday- recap day- lets talk about the things we thought worked for us for the week and those that didn't- this might help us see where we strayed and where we stood firm.

Sunday- weigh in day and reaffirm goal day- give us an idea of your goals for the week, month, and long term.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-06-2005, 03:42 PM   #2  

Goodmorning. Pleased to hear everyone is ok. Grass - what about a pic of your hair cut?? I got mine done too in the weekend. It was kind of the same as always, just a trim, but i got more caramel than blonde put through it and the weird thing is that it looks blonder than normal!

Anyway I'll check back and talk more later. Some really interesting things are going down at work which may put me in a really good position to bargain for things I am already meant to have gotten...
Ciao
Tiff
HAL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 03:48 PM   #3  
stormy1

Hi. I'm back. My flight was cancelled last night b/c of mechanical problems. So I have ate crappy food for the last couple of days. I had airport vouchers to eat b/c of the cancellation. Airport food is not healthy. I had pizza, croissants, bagels, etc. Crap. Today of course is superbowl Sunday which means beer, pizza, chips, cookies, etc. in the house. I am so tired from traveling that I do not have time to go to the grocery store. So I guess it will be one more day of eating yucky. So Monday will be a new day and I will get back on track. I did not exercise at alll on Friday and Saturday b/c of school. 8 more days until the end of this Valentine's challenge so I will not weigh until then.

I really do not have time to go back and read everyone's posts but I hope everyone is doing ok. Remember summer is quickly approaching us which means shorts and less clothes. So let's reaffirm our goals and make sure that we look great this summer.

1) I want to lose 20-25 pounds by summer.
2) Exercise 5-6 times a week.
3) I want to have more energy
4) I want to look decent in shorts, bathing suit,etc

I will accomplish these goals!!!

So what are your goals again????
stormy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 03:57 PM   #4  
Trying or Dying

Default Goals..

My weight loss goals are:
Lose 40 pounds before graduation.
Exercise 4-5 times a week
Drink 8+ bottles of water a day
Be able to start running again in May/June

Other goals:
Get a job by end of March
Make at least an hour of time for myself every day

So there you go-
Glad you are back stormy! Sorry you got delayed-I thought you were bringing back your car though?? Still not ready I am guessing.

NBK- put a pic of you up too- we want to see the new hair color and cut.

Got to get back to studying-
Later
Crime girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 04:36 PM   #5  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Cool monday morning. . .

Good morning. Up, already 6. Have two articles to write up, just short ones before I leave for work today. Got those two manuscripts off last night. I wanted to walk today before work but there's just no time. I shouldn't be writing here. Dilemmas.

Wow, guys, I didn't think I sounded that bad. I mean, of course I'm disgusted with myself. If I weren't I don't see how I would change anything. Stuffing myself with the things I like is how I got to be so fat. I think a little disgust is in order. I mean, if I say I want to lose weight and then don't I don't think that's behavior that should be tolerated. Of course, you could say that the failure to love myself (if that is the case) is what makes me eat in the first place. If I say I will meet a deadline with work I will do as I say. If I say I will lose such and such weight by Valentine's Day then I should think it's no different. Anyhow, I hear you on loving yourself but I think my love of myself is misguided. I'm thinking it's the food, the eating the food is loving myself, and it's not. Not the junk food, that is.

Really, with me these days it's a matter of time and being around people who are nothing like me. Honest, all the people at work are married or out on the town constantly boozing or both. They have no hobbies, nothing they're striving for. They don't speak Japanese. They don't even do good work with what's in front of them. I am subjected to their criticism, their measure and it wears on me, often consciously, but more often than not, subconsciously. It's like friggin' elementary, junior high and high school all over again.
Attracting jealousy and disdain for just being myself. Do you realize how much everyone hates to see others become successful. It's a mindset I can never understand.
OK, enough of the psych stuff. Just let me say that I am sick of always having to dumb down and downplay my efforts so others don't feel jealous. Encouraging people who never get off their butts to do anything yet complain and criticize constantly. I suppose I should just ignore them. Hard to do when you work all day with them.

By the way, I never said Happy Birthday to the boss at work. I would have, had even gone to get a little box of chocolates at the convenience store but I didn't see him before I left. Just as well I guess. Kind of beaten-dog-lickin-your-hand kind of behavior really. These people I think are beyond guilt or feeling bad, except when they're the ones feeling wronged.

Grass -- look at you!! The scale says 135 and you're saying you don't like it! What does this have to do with the scale anyhow. YOU got to 135, whatever the scale says. It sounds like you don't want to believe that you have actually gotten there or don't think you have perhaps? But you believe the scale when it says a higher number. Nevertheless, I think the scales are a poor measure. We know when we've done well with our efforts, when we've slacked off. Is this what's bothering you, that you don't think you did well and yet the scale says you did? I think we should maybe just look at our bodies more and not the numbers on a scale. If we like the fat, be happy. If we don't want it there, continue working to take it off. And grass, your efforts are much more than weight loss. They're about health, which is much, much more complicated.

Crime girl -- Thanks for the new thread and the horoscope. I don't want to experience any unpredictability today, however! Not unless it's something good! Loosening self restraints! Oh no, every time I do that I get into trouble. Hmm. . . Maybe trouble is the way. Your horoscopes always make me think.

Heh, did you like my poem? Of course, I took it neatly out of context but I think you can do that with poetry. In fact, that is what poetry's about, isn't it? its beauty is that it can speak to us all in different ways.

Well, today, I am going to try to look at what I put into my mouth and what I do with my body as stepping stones. Does indulging my desire for a brandy filled chocolate serve my goals? Perhaps, if one of those goals is to make me feel good but if it counteracts a longterm goal of the same then I can't sacrifice that to the shortterm one of making myself feel good NOW. Or, I should come up with ways of making me feel good now that don't counteract the longterm goals. Very hard to do when mindless eating is so automatic. I am an eating machine on autopilot!

OK, must get to work. The kerosene just ran out. Have to go out into the cold and fill it up. . .such is the joy of life in Tokyo. .

Last edited by redballoon; 02-06-2005 at 04:44 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

hey guys. Long, but good day here. filled with eating bad stuff because...ding, ding, DING......BF is going to begin eating healthier starting TOMORROW! He's going back on his old training diet. Wants to race again this summer and I'm all for it. He was so healthy!! Anyway, we're eating whatever he wants since this is his last day. Also, met my mom for lunch and there was NOWHERE to eat that wasn't fast food - and I don't mean the kind of places where you can get a salad either. I ended up having BBQ, NC style - no sugar, lots of vinegar. It was yummy!!

Stormy - welcome back!! I hear you about airport food!!! I was stuck in DC on my return trip at the little terminal - all they had was prepackaged food and I was terrified that if I ate any of it I'd get sick on the plane! YIKES!!! I ended up eatingg M&M's because I knew they wouldn't make me sick.

REd - I think I'm pissed with the scale because today it says 135 - tomorrow it'll say 137 and will fluctuate all week long so I never really know what I weigh. I can't get excited about the number because it won't show up again for a week. That's why I'm pissed. On the other hand I haven't eaten well today or yesterday. I'm not sweating that too much. As long as I can get back on board easily I will allow myself cheat days and try not to kick myself for cheating. I just couldn't cheat before because it led to a week of eating whatever the **** I wanted!!! I couldn't cheat once and get back on track. I SEEM to be doing better now. Thanks for the advice though and I agree with you - I will do my best to follow it.

NBK - I'm working on a picture - I don't have a digital camera. I am going to get a snap shot taken and post it. It would be neat to have a face with all the screan names!! I'd love to see picture of you guys!!! All of you!

Crime Girl - It was 64 in NC today. Incredible weather!!! We rode to wilmington with the Windows down!! Wonderful - I'm thinking of all the veggies I want to try to put in my garden this year.

okay, have to go eat with BF - talk to you guys soon!!!!

my goals -

lose 10 more pounds by summer.
maintain healthy eating habits after weight loss
exercise 5 times a week
attend yoga and pilates classes for stress and pain management
read book monthly to keep me on track and motivated (any recommendations are highly appreciated!)
little grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:31 PM   #7  
Never give up

NBK, stormy, hello there. I didn't see your posts until now, after I had written that last ramble, only talking to CG and grass. Notifications don't come in for the new thread. OK, I am polishing the two articles here before I have to leave for the office. I changed my breakfast. Instead of the usual oatmeal I had a bagel with tomato and broccoli sprouts and cheese. Don't know if the calories are more or less but it's different. I really do get stuck in ruts. Later!
Old 02-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #8  
Never give up

so grasshopper, you didn't say how your mom liked the new cut.

Last edited by redballoon; 02-06-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:40 PM   #9  

Red - mom likes the cut. Said it made me look thinner. I asked if she'd knew I'd lost 25 pounds...she said "no, but I guess that would make you look thinner too )" BF has decided it's a really sexy cut too

One thing I have started asking myself when I go for a craving is "okay, what is it I'm REALLY wanting right now?" sometimes It's something salty - anything will do, sometimes something sweat, and sometimes it's just something to do, or a hug or attention or something cruncy. I'm trying to get better at figuring out what I really want and then getting that. If I don't get that thing I'm dieing for - eating the craving doesn't end the want....I just keep looking for it.

okay, have to go eat !! I'm trying to get a picture - I'll post one this week.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:46 PM   #10  
Never give up

Grasshopper, I'm glad your mother liked the cut. I can't believe she didn't realize you had lost 25 pounds! Maybe she sees you too much to realize. Glad too the boyfriend thinks it's sexy!

Yes, thinking what we want is always a good thing. The problem is that usually we can't get what we want and that's why we're turning to food. Maybe though, if we acknowledge this and even picture getting it in our minds it will help.

When I was studying for a Japanese test that would often distract me enough not to eat out of boredom or frustration at wanting to be somewhere else. It also gave me a sense of accomplishment as well. Maybe I should do that again, go to the next level in the Chinese character tests (that's what I was doing). Not do them with any real goal in mind other than doing it for doing its sake. It does help with the translation work though. Just makes things go faster the better you know the characters.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:09 PM   #11  

hi Guys, I am sorry for being so quiet. Am having major it issues here at work, on top of being really really tired today (no sleep in the weekend.. $&#%)#( mosquitos! I look like lumpy the lumpfish I tell you.. it's horrid!). Anyway tomorrow night I go away on vacation until the 21/2/05 so don't know if I'll be able to report in much over that period. However I promise a big email telling you all my news tomorrow!

Red - stop beating yourself up! You are only human. Grass has a good point about thinking long and hard about what you really want.
stay tuned more later...
Grass - you crave sweat foods? are they salty and watery at the same time? he he he (i know you meant sweet)..

CG - If I could I'd be your PA. Some days I reckon it would be the best job in the world to organise someone elses life!
HAL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:21 PM   #12  
Never give up

Heh NBK, yeah, I was thinking on the way in to work. Why not really enjoy my pigouts if I'm going to do them? I mean, if I don't enjoy them, that's a double slap in the face, isn't it?
Old 02-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #13  

I agree with you Red - you might as well enjoy every single freakin minute of it! You're eating it anyway right - don't leave any part of you left feeling deprived!!!!! I find I'm more able to stick to the program is I REALLY enjoy my cheats.

NBK - Can't wait to hear all this news????! Yes I love WATERY sweets! I hope you have a great vacation! We'll be here when you get back!! Have a blast!

I'm being like a kid tonight and trying to avoid going to bed. Don't ask why - just don't want to sleep but I'm sleepy! I need to give this childish fight up and get some sleep - 3:30 comes early and that seems to be my favorite hour to wake up lately....... Good night - NBK, REd, have a great day!
Old 02-07-2005, 06:20 AM   #14  
Never give up

Hi guys, I'm back home. Should be doing more work. Am writing emails instead, to a friend in Italy and now this. I thought about things today and I've decided to more or less give up the weight loss for now. I'm going to just try to have a little more fun in my life and if that involves doing nothing, eating all sorts of junk food, being a sloth or whatever, I'm going to do it. What I'm hoping is that this freedom will allow me to reconnect with the things I truly want, not the things I think I SHOULD be doing.

Like you Crime girl, I am going to try to really give myself more time to me, time where I don't think I should be doing all the things that need done. Yes, I know they will still be there for me to do and in less time because the deadlines are drawing nearer but if I don't take breathers in between then I'll just burn out, which really means you just lose all interest in life. That's actually where I think I am. I say I'm bored, but it's not because life is boring per se, it's more because I am too tired, mentally and emotionally to take pleasure in so much around me. I can do it when I have the time but I want to learn how to do it when I don't have the time.

Well, wish me luck. NBK, I'm waiting to hear more from you.
Crime girl, grasshopper, how are you? Where is everyone else?!! Come on you people, come and chat with us.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:58 AM   #15  
Trying or Dying

Default Good morning

How is everyone this morning? I just woke up and frankly it was not a good night of sleep. I am not sure if the changing weather is responsible but it is what I highly suspect. On top of that- my bf has made my house feel like we are living in an igloo on a frozen lake somewhere in Anartica. It is freaking cold in here.

Little grasshopper- I am envious of you living in NC. I bet it is beautiful up there. You are thinking about your garden eh? I use to do that when I lived in SC- we had a 2 acre garden full og veggies and such. It really spoils you so that grocery store produce doen't taste right. I still can't tomatos in FL because they taste nothing like a tomato should taste.

NBK- Where are you going on vacation? To Florida? To be my personal assistant? How nice! No, really- are you and bf going any place special? or are you going sans bf?
Either way- have a great time and we will miss you!

Red balloon- I know you are struggling and it this is what you think is best for you right now- more power to you. I am a firm believer that you first have to take care of you before anything else in life good can happen. I am just glad to see you not beating up yourself anymore.
As for the poem- I liked it very much. Sorry-I think I thought it and never typed it to you. I love poetry- and you picked a good one. I think poetry has a way of appealling to people that is more personal because it has to be interupted and really understood. In the process one can not help but bring in her life experiences and background into that interpretation. It makes poetry more personal and thus more powerful. Just my view.

Jacque- I hope you are out there and still reading. Hop on and talk when you can- we miss you. I can understand if it takes time- you take all the time you need to get back into things- just know we are here and ready to talk whenever you feel like it.

Okay well happy people- I need to go. I still have the usual tons of school work and home work to do and not enough time to do it. 81 days until graduation and I have to get a job before then. Wish me luck everyone- I am going to need it!

Have a wonderful day everyone-
Crime girl is offline   Reply With Quote