South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 03:15 AM   #1  

Default *~*Weekend Chat on the Beach*~*

Welcome to the weekend chat everyone .

I thought I would get us started this weekend.... I haven't been around too much over the past week. I have been trying to get organised for uni and have been banning myself from the computer until I get some work done. I find once I get online heaps of time just simply flies by...ooops... no self control.

I have been doing a modified SBD. I hope its OK to keep visiting the forum to get help. I have been having a very low GI carb (small portion) with each meal. I am still following the guidelines for other foods like vegies and meat... I suppose it is more of the way that someone who has been on SBD for awhile would eat.

I am finding that I am feeling better, and still have the physical benefits of the SBD to go along with it. I have found that my cravings have increased - but to be honest I think it is more of an emotional eating issue rather than a true desire for food.

I will go and read the posts for the other threads tonite... I hope to read that you are all well.

Have a great weekend,
Marianna
Old 02-05-2005, 06:11 AM   #2  

I did a modified SB Diet (with a few cheats) when I was away and lost the weight I put on over Xmas so the principals must be right. I do notice that I am craving sweets but not starches. Perhaps those cravings have always been there though.

I have survived half a social weekend though. Had eggs for breakfast, went to Mum and Dad's and just ate the salad with cold meat (left the bread alone) for lunch, then went to a BBQ tonight and had diet lemonade, chicken kebabs and a small piece of lean steak with salad and a couple of choc dipped apricots for desert. I had a bit of garlic bread and it tasted revolting.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:22 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You mean I'll lose my taste for garlic bread? Actually, I am starting to dislike it - especially to soggy kind.

I'm just pecking in and out this morning because I have to be at a Church Council meeting at 8:30 and it's about 8:20 now. Do you think I can go in my pink chenille robe? I spent too long making the fresh fruit salad this morning - darn fresh pineapple is a bugger to prepare. Somebody should invent one without those eyes! A blind pineapple?

At the funeral "lunch" yesterday I avoided goodies by helping serve - worked fine. Kay Dean and her famous butter tarts were there and I avoided them. I had second thoughts last night though - Kay is getting on and I'm sure her butter tarts will disappear when she does. Carpe tartae!

Gotta rustle out of here and decide which feathers to don for the meeting. See you this afternoon.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:31 AM   #4  

I typed a long message a couple of hours ago and my PC hung. I'm up working but waiting on others. I am SURE hoping they finish before too long since we have Cub Scout activities at 9.

I'm feeling a little better this morning. I'm still running a fever but it isn't quite as high. My DH is a lot sicker than I am so I don't know if I can count on him to take Brian if I get stuck working.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 02-05-2005, 08:35 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Marianna, there are a few people here who aren't completely on South Beach (including Ruth and I), so please keep coming back! For some of us (even we mods!), the friendships and support are even more important than the "diet" advice.

Chick, congratulations for staying OP so far this weekend! It's a good feeling when we taste something "good", and it tastes bad.

Taz, I hope that the selling of the houses goes well. Hugs and prayers for you...

Nat, I hope you're having a wonderful weekend away. I love your son's nickname. Bug.

Laurie, I KNEW there was something else I hated about the downdog! Yes, it hurts my arms, too! They start to shake, and there I am, upside down, staring at these poor fat shaking arms that are holding up much of my body weight.

Amy, you're a smart girl. Thank God you're NOT younger than him, because you might not have the maturity that you have now!
Yes, that poor girl needs help. I hope she gets it... post partum depression can be a terrible thing.
I know this is disappointing for you... thinking of you, hon.

Barb, take care of that cold, sweetie. It's so hard to stay healthy when you're run-down from too much work. And I hope your DH gets better soon, too!

Kissy, you're doing GREAT with the exercise! You almost make me want to pull out my old Tai Bo tapes.
How's the kitchen going? I'm sorry... you keep asking about mine, and I keep looking at it and rolling my eyes. We're still in the drywalling stage.
I don't know if I mentioned this here, but I pulled the wainscotting off the wall in the breakfast area (where our computer normally goes), and the wall beneath was so bad that we're having to drywall over it. (I'm DAMNED if I'm taking the old stuff off!)
So we're running a little behind schedule. AND we're tired all the time, and never feel like renovating.
However, once the drywall is done, I can start painting and get the rest of the cabinets up, plus the stove hood.
I WILL post pictures soon! I'm going to pull DH out of bed soon, and we'll get going. I can't WAIT!!

Uh, Ruth... when Kay and her butter tarts "go", we don't want you going with them. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!! They're not worth it. (I know they are, but they're not.) Are you treadmilling today? Be careful that your robe doesn't get caught in the belt.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #6  
Ready!!!

Morning to you all. Doing OK in this neck of the world.
I am busy again this day as today I am going to go to my other house and clean the snow from around the back door.

It would be wonderful if I could get my snowblower in town
I can see me now

Well chicklets i have been doing darn gooood with this way of eating.

A quick note on a treat that I love.

8 ice cubes (made from leftover coffee)
1 cup low fat milk ( or whatever kind you use)
1/2 to 1 tspoon instant coffee (you figure how strong you like it)
1, 2, or 3 packs sweetner (you use what you like, I use 2)
blend in blender

You can add cocoa to make moca, flavours are endless, milk cubes and vanalla, milk cubes and anything

well all for now I have to go get ready for the day,
I think I am eating too much salad, when I fart It smells like green pepper
Taz
Old 02-05-2005, 08:50 AM   #7  

Oh, Taz... that recipe sounds wicked! Thank you!!
Old 02-05-2005, 09:24 AM   #8  

Happy Saturday!

Hope that everyone is doing well. I am also thrilled that it is the weekend! We don't have much planned for the weekend, which is just fine with me. I got nothing accomplished last weekend and spent the week trying to catch up. No fun!

Sounds like most of you are cruising along with SBD. I, on the other hand, had gained 6.5 pounds this past month. I am going to keep posting my current weight until I can't stand it anymore.

We found out on Monday that we are having a baby GIRL!! So my husband will live out his days surrounded by estrogen. He looked at me and stated that we need to try for a third. I looked at him as though he were crazy! (I am already 36) I let him know that if he could increase his salary by a minimum of $25,000 in the next two years that I would consider it.

I am going to try and catch up on some posts, so I can reply more personally. I miss you all!
Old 02-05-2005, 09:34 AM   #9  

Karen, congratulations on the girl!! Yeah, I would definitely hold out for at LEAST 25 grand.
Don't worry about the weight too much... we'll whip you back into shape when this is all over.

Ruth, we have a smog warning! In the middle of winter! Things are getting bad...
Old 02-05-2005, 10:10 AM   #10  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

Good Morning Ladies~

WTG Ruth on avoiding the butter tarts!! Well done!!

Barb~ I hope you & your dh feel better soon!! Lots of nasty colds & Flu going around right now.

Karen~CONGRATS on the girl!! I wanted a girl, but, i'll take my boys. That's so exciting! Have names picked out already??

Well, not much planned for this weekend. I will take the boys outside today. It's going to be beautiful today, snow & cold tomorrow. UGH! Is it Spring yet??

Maybe I can get some outdoor exercise. We'll see I guess. I may end up going shopping.. That counts right?? ha

Have a Great day!!
Old 02-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #11  
We are all Beautiful!!!

Afternoon Chickies:

I had a little wine last night but not too much. Food is right on OP. I'm working on an art project today for a customer who has been very patient during my soup kitchen fundraiser. I'm almost done with that. DS is with my x-inlaws for an overnight. Maybe I'll rent a movie tonight. My girlfriends are all going to a fund raiser auction tonight with their hubby's so there is no one to pal around with. Last year one of them won a trip to Vegas so they are all very excited. I was so busy with my fundraiser that I missed out on getting a ticket for tonights. That's ok though I spent enough at my auction fundraiser.

Taz cat - Great recipe! I'm going to have to try it.

Oh well I better buck up the self disciplne and get this project done. I'll peep in later.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:10 PM   #12  
Punkin Fairy Mama

S/C/G: 262/233/140

Afternoon all...

I love the weekends because I can actually jump on and participate during the light of day instead of jumping in after the fact I had a bad evening last night, DH had an insurance physical that they did at 8:00 so we couldn't eat till after that was done... and of course we couldn't decide what to have so we ordered pizza and not the low fat or low carb... although I did order thin crust because I figured it wouldn't be AS bad... I spent the rest of the night whimpering because my stomach hurt so bad! Well I guess that will teach me. Maybe it will help me do better during the Super Bowl Party tomorrow. ****

The scale is stuck again hasn't moved for two weeks but we are working out an hour and a half 3 days now... and the measuring tape showed an inch loss in all places over the last week. It is so hard not to obsess over the numbers. We are eating only salad and baked chicken or Turkey durning the week... don't know what else we could cut out (well except for the pizza obviously he he) Maybe it's time to check out some new recipes ...

anyway here's wishing everyone a wonderfull sbd weekend!

*Heather*
http://dolphindreamdesigns.com/bodypage.html
Old 02-05-2005, 07:47 PM   #13  

Last night was just so hot that after dinner we drove for 30 minutes to the bay and then went for a 30 minute walk along the waterfront. It was just lovely. We didn't get home until 10pm, but at least we hadn't sat around inside a hot house all night!

Kiko - congratulations on your child being a girl!

I weighed in for my first time since switching to the half SBD/half low GI diet and I lost 0.5 kilos (just over 1 pound) for the week! I am pretty happy with that result - I didn't feel deprived all week and I felt nice and healthy.

Have a great day,
Marianna
Old 02-05-2005, 08:39 PM   #14  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Congrats Kiko!!!

I thought I was doing well today eating wise, but didn't know where I was going to lunch and thought I made ok choices. Then I got home and looked up what I ate Boy was I wrong!!!

only a .02 loss this week but that's ok. With the way I drank this week, I didn't expect anything but a gain, lol!!!

Have a good Saturday night/Sunday morning!
Old 02-06-2005, 09:15 AM   #15  

I will come back and read later but just wanted everyone to know that I lost 2 more pounds in my second week of phase 1! That is 5 pounds total for phase 1!

OK I'm back, ate my breakfast and I'm catching up. It was a busy end of the week and I did not have as many chances to visit the board as I would have liked.

Friday I attended a birthday party and did not handle it well. I did not eat before I went, even though I had no idea what the menu would be. Guess what the menu was? Stew with beef, carrots, peas, potatoes, and corn! And biscuits (awful ones)! And birthday cake and ice cream. NOTHING SBD-friendly. So I picked at the stew, eating mostly beef and broth. I ate half a biscuit slathered in margarine (as per Dr. A's assertion that carbs digest slower when combined with fat). By the time the cake came around, I was so hungry and cranky, and "didn't want to be rude" so I caved and had not one, but TWO pieces! I had a horrible headache that started as soon as the food started digesting, and did not end until breakfast on Saturday (a veggie omelet).

Friday was day 13 of phase 1, so I decided that I would be really good yesterday and wait and see what the scale told me today, as to whether to extend phase 1 or not. The scale was down, and I think it was because I ate the carbs as my last meal of the night so they did not really induce more cravings. Plus my overall caloric intake was probably low. So I think it turned out OK. So I am starting phase 2 today.

Yesterday we built lambing/kidding pens in the barn. We have a kid (baby goat) due in the next two weeks, and 2-4 lambs due within the next month to month-and-a-half (the ram was in with them for two months). I am looking forward to it. So the sheep are indoors now (the goat doesn't go into the lambing pen until after delivery). This afternoon I need to trim the sheep's hooves and the areas around their teats (can I say that here?) and "birthing areas." They will be inside now until the pasture gets lush enough.

I also received my garden seeds this past week, and dug out the "Gardening in Indiana" book to see what my chores are for February. It's a pretty easy month -- I need to gather seed-starting materials, make sure the grow lights work, and that is about it. The first things get started indoors on March 1, and we need to rent the tiller and till the garden by March 15 ground permitting. We have had the ducks in the garden all winter for weed-killing and fertilizer, so I am hoping that we get a better garden this year than last. I preserve a lot of food myself, and this is the year that I expect to actually save money by gardening.

This afternoon I have a tea party to attend. I plan to eat before I go, and go heavy on the tea and light on the treats. My hostess cooks and eats organic food, and I fully expect there to be more than just sweets.

I hope that you gals have a great Sunday!

Last edited by geekchic; 02-06-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Closed Thread