Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #1  

Question What do you eat?

I was curious what everyone eats in a typical day. I thought it would be interesting to see how our eating habits differ. Does anyone else ever find something that just hits the spot and then eat it every day for a while? I ask because the breakfast below I've eaten for over a week straight now, lol.

Today...

Breakfast:
1 cup milk - 120 cals
1/2 cup cottage cheese - 80 cals
1 piece wheat toast 1/2 tblsp butter - 100 cals
1 slice fat free chicken breast - 20 cals

Snack...
apple - 100

Lunch...
1 bag baked Doritos - 170 cals
2 slices fat free chicken breast - 40 cals

Snack...
Peppermint Swoops - 190

Dinner...
Subway 6" turkey on roasted garlic bread with olives/tomatoes/pickles - 400 cals
1 bottle diet cherry vanilla dr pepper - 0 cals

That's a total of - 1220 calories.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:01 PM   #2  

I'm curious, was today a typical day for you? I.E., no vegetables and only 1 fruit, and so much simple starch? Have you lost all of your weight eating like that?

I currently eat approx 1500 calories per day. What I eat specifically varies wildly day to day, but the food groups and eating pattern are fairly consistent. (Note I'm on Jenny Craig so about half my entrees for the week are JC foods. However, you could easily subsitute a Lean Cuisine or similar as long as it had lots of vegetables and not too much starch.)

BREAKFAST
Health Valley breakfast bar
Latte made with nonfat dry milk powder equal to 1 cup milk

SNACK
sugar-free yogurt

LUNCH
Sandwich: 2 slices Sara Lee reduced cal multigrain bread, 1/2 Tbsp Kraft reg mayo, 2 oz Healthy Choice ham
raw baby carrots
apple

SNACK
medium whole red grapefruit

DINNER
JC personal pizza with mushrooms, onion, lowfat mozzarella added
steamed broccoli with goat cheese

SNACK
1% milk
graham crackers
Old 02-04-2005, 10:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 212/155/140

Height: 5'7"

today...

oatmeal with added flax & raisins
coffee with vanilla soy milk

veggie beef soup
1 c Caesar salad
cheese toast (2 oz cheese, 2 oz bread)

1 cup steamed turnips topped with
low-fat beef stew (made by my husband)

snack: 1 c soy milk with 2 T cocoa powder & splenda

(usually I have a big salad or yogurt with berries for lunch, or tuna or salmon salad, or a really hearty mostly veggie soup, but this was lunch out). I have tried lots of "good" cereals, but I'm finding oatmeal is the best way to start my day, I don't feel super full but it keeps me steady for a good four hours. I have a pretty big bowl, 220 cals worth.

cheers,
Sue
Old 02-04-2005, 10:41 PM   #4  
Staying on track!!

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by funniegrrl
Latte made with nonfat dry milk powder equal to 1 cup milk
I'm curious - why dry milk instead of regular milk? do you just use normal brewed coffee, or do you have an espresso machine? recipe please!
Old 02-04-2005, 11:12 PM   #5  
Keeping It Simple

S/C/G: 185/178.5/115

Height: 5' 2"

First of all, Chaoticfish, you have been my mentor without even realizing it. The first thing I do when I come to this board every day is check for any new posts you have made. You inspire me and I have learned a lot from you.

I too, eat pretty much the same thing every day right now and I like to keep it simple. Because of quitting smoking at the same time, I chose things for my food plan that I enjoy so I wouldn't feel deprived. It could be more nutritious, but my focus right now is not smoking and losing weight. I stick very close to 1200 calories every day. The times are approximate.

9:00 am - Instant Oatmeal (sometimes skip)
10:30 am - Nabisco 100 Calorie Wheat Thins
12:00 pm - Turkey (thin) Sandwich on Whole Wheat; Raw Carrots; Lowfat Yogurt; Nabisco 100 Calorie Chips Ahoy; Diet Coke
3:00 pm - Clementine
6:00 pm - Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones Entree (on weekends substitute fresh chicken breast and veggie); Nabisco 100 Calorie Chips Ahoy
8:00 pm - Mini Bag Low Fat Microwave Popcorn

When I start exercising more, I'll add a few more calories. Right now I'm losing 1.5 - 2.5 lbs per week.

Diana
Old 02-05-2005, 04:45 AM   #6  

A normal day for me is:

breakfast: 1 bowl of porridge (oatmeal) made with skim milk, topped with raspberries, strawberries or blueberries with one teaspoon honey or maple syrup.

snack: fresh fruit usually a clementine and a few cherries

lunch: ryvita (rye crispbread) cucumber, beetroot, celery, cherry tomatoes, chicken tikka (the protein changes every day to make it less boring, sometimes chinese chicken, tuna, prawns, cottage cheese)

snack: snack a jacks - corn and rice crispberad things - very nice and only 100 calories

dinner: this changes dramatically every day two nights a week it is a hearty home made soup, other nights it is a small portion of meat with lots of vegetables. Carbohydrate is either brown rice, wholemeal pasta, polenta, couscous, bulghar wheat - changes every day.

My diet is my own creation - concentrating on low G I foods, and plenty of fruit and vegetables.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:49 AM   #7  

I love threads like this. My daily meals usually vary greatly from day to day but I do get stuck on certain snacks that I'll stick with for a week or two. So, let's see yesterday I had:

Breakfast: half of a wheat berry bagel, 1 teaspoon regular cream cheese, 1 morning star breakfast patty, half cup of oJ (275 calories)

Sanck: 2 oz. Almonds, eaten thoughout the day (340 calories)

Lunch: Lean Pocket Supreme Pizza Ultra, 8 oz apple, with peel (323 calories)

Snack: 2 slices Wheat Bread, 2 oz Deli Select Smoked Turkey, 1 Tablespoon Miricle Whip Light, Lettuce (206 calories)

Dinner: Lemon Thyme Shrimp Pasta made with half a small onion, half teaspoon olive oil, 1/4 cup chicken broth, 4 oz shrimp, peeled, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 2 oz bow tie pasta (327 calories)

I don't count fat grams but it was 51 for the day - 30 from the almonds to aid in raising my HDL cholesterol. Total calories of 1471 (32% fat, 42% carb, 26% protein).

I vary my calories throughout the week from 1200 to 1800 calories so this would be on of the average days for me.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #8  

I'm new to these boards and havent even posted a hello thread yet, but I wanted to comment on this one first. I too also end up eating the same things a lot. I've found over the years that habit really helps you stick to a diet - same with exercise. But I wanted to comment on what person said about you not eating much veggies/fruits.

I find myself falling into that too. I get so caught up in calories and fat grams that sometimes I forget that I need to be making sure I'm eating something HEALTHY for my body as well. It's easy to stay under 1500 or 1200 calories eating nothing but mcdonalds all day or lean pockets all day.. but I dont think thats good for my body either. I'm trying to eat more vegetables, fruits, and a lot less processed sodium-filled foods. Just starting to watch my sodium intake has significantly changed how I'm eating. Here's what I've been eating lately.

Breakfast
eggmockmuffin and a glass of juice or milk- (an english muffin w/ 2 egg whites on a small slice of low-sodium ham)
or 1 cup Raisin Bran Crunch and 1/2 cup of 1% milk

Snack
fruit - usually an orange, apple, or grapes (I LOVE grapes!)
or cottage cheese w/fruit

Lunch
subway 6 inch sub with LOTS of veggies and that lovely honey mustard dressing, a bag of Doritos Light
or Healthy Choice soup and a toasted cheese sandwich - one low-fat slice of cheese w/tomato

Snack
Sometimes a lean pocket, sometimes low-fat popcorn. I'm trying to get myself to eat things like carrot sticks instead.

Dinner
This varies a LOT because I have a boyfriend and 2 children, so I'm not just cooking for myself and sometimes make 2 meals. One for them and one for me.
Last night was a WONDERFUL pork roast (203 cal, 6g fat per serving), a low-fat modified version of scalloped potatoes (200 cal, 2.5 g per 1/2 cup), oven-roasted Zucchini and yellow squash. (I also made homemade applesauce, but I ended up being too full for anything but a taste when I was making it!)
The night before that was vegetarian chili over a baked potato and a small salad.
I end up eating a frozen dinner and a salad a lot if I'm making something for the rest of the family that is something I'd rather not have.

Dessert/snack - I dont always eat dessert
1/2 cup of Whole Fruit sorbet
or
fat free yogurt and fruit mixed together with a sprinkle of the Raisin Bran crunch over it.

gina
Old 02-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #9  

Here's my typical day:

Breakfast- 1c. Kashi Go Lean Crunch w/ 3/4 c. skim milk and 1/2 caffine coffee.

Snack- Either 1/2 Zone bar or a small-medium frozen banana or 1 Nature Valley crunchy granola bar.

Lunch- HUGE salad w/ mixed greens, spinach, celery, green onions, carrots, chicken, a little FF Italian dressing and some La Choy rice noodles for crunch! I also have a Blue Bunny Lite 85 yogurt (FF & reduced sugar), which I freeze and I swear it's like eating ice cream! YUM!

Snack- Either 1 c. sliced strawberries w/ Egual, 2 tbsp. FF cool whip & 2 tbsp. Go Lean Crunch, or 1 snack sized bag of 94% FF pop corn, or Quakes mini popcorn cakes, or one of the mid-morning snacks.

Dinner- What ever we're having as a family but with definite portion control. Usually a protein, a carb, and a large salad w/ everything above, minus the chicken.

Snack- Either another Blue Bunny Lite 85 yogurt (frozen), or one of the mid-morning or mid-afternoon snacks, and Decaf coffee.

And of course, LOTS of water throughout the day.

I don't count calories so I'm not sure what that would come out to, but it works for me.

Beverly
Old 02-05-2005, 03:17 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyla2001
I'm curious - why dry milk instead of regular milk? do you just use normal brewed coffee, or do you have an espresso machine? recipe please!
Well ... LOL ... it's like this:

I misspoke calling it a latte -- it's really a cafe au lait, or what Starbucks would call a misto. I make with the wimpy coffee they have in the office. I like a LOT of milk, and if I put in regular milk it would make it MUCH too weak. So, to keep as much coffee flavor as possible, I just add dry milk powder directly to the cup without mixing with water first. Also, it's easier to keep a big ol' bag of milk powder in my desk than it is to worry about keeping fresh milk around at the office, so I'd probably do this even if the coffee were stronger.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #11  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

breakfast: sweet onion teriyaki sub (I usually have a bagel, haha, but I was out)

snack: banana

lunch: lean cuisine and salad with lite dressing

snack: pear

dinner: 2 cups whole wheat pasta w/ 1 cup spaghetti sauce

snack: yogurt

cals: 1589
Old 02-05-2005, 05:53 PM   #12  
singletrack chick

i love to cook so what i eat daily varies greatly. i usually cook up something in bulk at the first of the week to take for lunch every day like stuffed peppers or fritata or tuna patties (you get the picture).

here's a day from last week

breakfast:
1/4 cup 8 grain cereal with 3 egg whites, 2/3 cup sugar snap peas, 1 cup slaw and 1/4 cups mushrooms mixed in. 190 calories

snack: banana 100 cal.

lunch: stuffed pepper 140 calories, salad 25 cal. yogurt 80 cal. 245 total

snack: v8 70 calories clementine 30 calories 100 total

dinner: tofu 90 cal., spaghetti sauce 60 cal., spinach 20 cal., whole wheat pasta 200 cal. sugar snap peas 30 cal, frozen veggies, italian blend 70 cal. total 470

dessert: pudding with graham crackers and 1/2 banana 180

about 1300 hundred calories.

i usually eat more than that, i try to get more snacks in during the day so i am not starving at night. that was a day that i wasn't very hungry.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:38 PM   #13  
Jen

Default Me?

me?

breakfast - 1 slimfast shake - 237 cals

snack - applesauce, or Source yogurt or 2 graham cracker spice cookies - 50 cals

lunch - 1 slimfast shake - 237 cals

snack- applesauce, or Source yogurt or 2 graham cracker spice cookies - 50 cals

supper -

1 medium potatoe - 200 cals
1 1/2 chicken leg baked - 300 cals
1/8 cup cheddar cheese - 60 cals
1 tsp sour cream - 30 cals
1 green salad with 1 1/2 tbsp raspberry vinegrette - 100 cals

dessert - candy cane 50 cals

total intake 1314.

good day for me

jen
Old 02-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #14  

funniegrrl.....

Hi
Yup, that's about what I eat in a typical day although I usually eat wheat bread, not white. I try to eat a little bit of everything and did have veggies on the turkey sandwich. To be honest I don't even know what a simple starch is, lol. Before when I would decide to lose weight I always ended up frustrated and gave up because for me anyway all the talk about starches and fat and how to do this and how not to do that etc is just confusing and makes what's actually very simple seem like a nearly impossible scientic feat. Truly what it comes down to is that if you intake less calories than your body needs to maintain itself, you'll lose weight. So I decided to do it MY way and eat a little of everything even if it isn't within the governments dietary guidelines. I figured anything was better than my current state (my legs would swell so much water would leak out of them) and was worth a try and it's worked out great for me

Oh and yes, eating like this is how I've lost all the weight.

I was thinking after I wrote this post about what I USED to eat and decided to write it down just to see what it comes up to. Below is a typical day of how I USED to eat.....

Breakfast...
Large biscuits and gravy from mini mart - 600

Snack...
bag of Doritos - 250
pint of chocolate milk - 380

Lunch...
Hamburger (vending machine) - 400
bag of Doritos - 250

snack (always had this right after work)...
fried chicken - 400
stuffed jalapinios - 600
white cheese popcorn - 220
44oz ruby red squirt - 600

dinner...
2 beef supreme gorditas - 620
2 mexi nuggets - 450
44oz ruby red squirt - 600

snack...
2 candy bars - 400
white cheese popcorn - 220

That's 6750 calories

I've never figured this up before and I have to say I'm quite shocked. No wonder I was almost dead

Last edited by chaoticfish; 02-06-2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:59 PM   #15  
It's gotta be the glasses

Height: 5'8"

Hmm. . . my typical day?

I mentioned some of this in another post, so forgive me if you suffer from deja vu . . .

I usually alternate between two breakfast ideas:

I make a veggie omelette with the microwave. I take a big handful of freshly chopped veggies (spinach, broccoli, onion, peppers, etc.) and throw it in a bowl, and add one egg and stir (there are more veggies there than egg). I put it in the microwave for a minute, and flip it over like a patty. Then I add a bit of low or non-fat shredded cheese to the top and microwave it for another thirty seconds. This becomes the patty for my breakfast sandwich. I use whole-grain toast with fat-free ranch (or some other flavor) salad dressing instead of mayonnaise. And I switch around what veggies I use depending on what I'm in the mood for. I like to have this every other morning so I don't have too many eggs in one week.

The other usual breakfast I have is a fat-free no sugar added yogurt (like Blue Bunny Lite 85), but I put it in a bowl and add various fresh fruit (also depending on my taste for the day) and top it with a serving of whole-grain cereal to give it a crunch. Mmm. . . good stuff!

In the rare event I'm not in the mood for either of these, I have oatmeal with added fruit.

I almost always have a huge spinach-based salad at lunch (I don't even bother with iceburg lettuce anymore). I add various chopped veggies to it depending on my mood. I try to keep broccoli, carrots, peppers, onions, kidney and chili beans, corn, tomato, cucumber, and such on hand at all times. I usually top my salad with sliced roasted almonds or sunflower seed kernels. I try to fill up with salad before I get to the actual meal so I'm not tempted to eat a large portion, and even then I try to keep it low in fat. Today the "main course" was part of a frozen Boca pizza (low in fat).

For yesterday, I made stir-fry with one chicken breast, one green pepper, one red pepper, one yellow pepper, three green onion stems, one red apple (of all things), and some spicy Thai peanut sauce. I just kinda chopped up everything and threw it together. I was very satisfied with the results, but I probably should have added some wild rice to make it go further. I topped it with some La Choy rice noodles.

When I make a meal from scratch, I avoid simple carbohydrates whenever possible and concentrate on fresh veggies. Then I move on to what kind of meat (usually chicken) I might want, and then a complex carb. Brown and wild rice is a god-send: it can be a filler for most of my meals to make them last longer.

And for dinner, today I made a Healthy Choice seseme chicken meal (9 oz. size) to go with my usual salad. I'm not always in the mood to cook, you know. Those meals are nice to have handy for back-up. But basically, I can have anything I want for dinner, I just make sure it's relatively low in fat and that I eat a sensible portion.

I also have many small snacks throughout the day, whether it's a serving of yogurt, a small handful of almonds, a carrot, an apple, or whatever. I also drink fat-free soy milk and regular old skim milk.

I've pretty much sworn off fast food (I live two blocks from Burger King and there are four McDonald's in my town, AAAHHH!) but when I'm in that situation, I either get a grilled chicken salad with low fat dressing or I order a kids meal! If I really want a burger or fries, that occasional small portion isn't going to kill me. I also love to get the sweet onion chicken teryaki sandwich from Subway on honey oat, but I'll buy it as a foot-long and save half of it for another meal. Their spinach salad is really good, too, but my home-made one is a lot cheaper, LOL!

I've banned all sugar soda from the house. I will drink the various Diet Rite flavors as well as 7 up Plus, but even though it's diet I try not to overdo it; water is still a better choice. I love juice (especially cranberry), but it has a lot of sugar in it (even though I get the no-sugar added kind), so if I do want some, I either water it down and have a small portion or mix it half and half with white grape Diet Rite. The only juice I don't need to "water down" is grapefruit. It's not my favorite, but Jeff likes it and it *is* healthy enough for me to have it here and there.

If I really need a sweet treat I have frozen grapes (sliced in half) or a frozen banana. Yummy! I also have other fruit on hand in the fridge, and I try to get something different every week. I just try not to eat too much of it.

I also take a few suppliments every day to make sure I get enough calcium and omega fatty acids. I also take St. John's Wort for depression.

Well, my meal plans aren't an exact science, it's more of a flexible framework I like to use that took lots of trial and error to come up with. It's worked very well for me in the past; the only trick is to keep up the motivation. I enjoy the meals I have, I don't ever go hungry, and I don't count calories. I don't want to spend my life pre-occupied with counting calories and fat grams. . . the last time I did that, I became way too obsessive and slowly began to starve myself out of less and less food!

And while I don't count calories, that doesn't mean I don't check labels! I avoid buying anything that has more than 30% of the calories from fat, I check the ingredient lists for sugar and other simple carbs, and I check for portion size (since that can be deceptive at times).

Well anyway, that's what works for me. I'm gonna weigh in tomorrow to see how I'm doing.

Last edited by esmaraude; 02-06-2005 at 10:46 PM.
Closed Thread