Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2000, 05:17 AM   #1  

Here is what we had for dinner last night:

A Variation of Reggie's Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes (3 pts) [I put it in an 8" square Pyrex
dish (sprayed with butter-flavored Pam) in a 325°F Oven to keep it warm while working on the chicken.]

WW 's "In A Flash" Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms (4 pts)
French-cut Green Beans w/ 1 Tablespoon of toasted, sliced almonds per serving (1 pt)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms - Extra sauce-- 4 Pts

Recipe By :WW Magazine's In a Flash
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken Lowfat
Weight Watchers

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tablespoon vegetable oil -- divided
24 ounces skinless boneless chicken breast -- 6, thin-sliced 1/4"thick
1 1/2 large garlic cloves -- crushed, 3/4 tsp.
Marinade For Chicken
4 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
6 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Mushroom Topping
6 cups mushrooms, whole -- small, halved
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme -- leaves, crumbled
salt and pepper -- to taste, optional

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil. In a medium bowl, mix 3 tablespoons of the vinegar, the mustard and garlic. Add the chicken and turn to coat.
Transfer the chicken and marinade to the skillet; sauté the chicken until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a platter and keep warm. (I used chicken breast halves pounded thin and cooked for closer to 10 minutes per side -- until done)

In the skillet, heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil. Sauté the mushrooms 1 minutes; add the broth, thyme and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of vinegar.

Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are deep brown, about 2 minutes longer. Serve the chicken topped
with the mushrooms. (I cooked my mushrooms much longer -- until sauce thicken and most of the liquid evaporated)

Per serving (as per Magazine cookbook)without sauce ingredients being doubled:
187 Calories, 4g Total Fat, 1g Saturated Fat, 66mg Cholesterol, 233 mg
Sodium, 6g Total Carbohydrates, 0g Dietary Fiber, 29g Protein, 22mg Calcium.
Points per serving 4 (Even with mushroom topping being doubled, per MC5)

Original Poster's comments:
This is an excellent dish. We served it as follows:
4 Points - Balsamic chicken with Mushrooms
3 Points - Baked Potato (8 oz. cooked) served with
1 Points - 1/4 cup fat free sour cream
0 Points - 1 cup steamed whole green beans
0 Points - 1 cup carrots
1 Points - 2 teaspoons reduced-fat margarine
Total 9 Points for whole meal

Source:
"JaneStarr's Variation"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 176 Calories (kcal); 4g Total Fat; (22% calories from fat); 29g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 66mg Cholesterol; 267mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : I made this 1/26/00 and it was excellent. I used a 10 oz. package of baby bella's that were quite large. I thickly sliced them into 4 -6 pieces, rather than just cutting them in half. Next time I will double the mushrooms and sauce ingredients. I cooked everything longer than the recipe directed. We like our mushrooms cooked down and our chicken was thicker than 1/4 inch -- even after pounding it out. Chicken cutlets would cook up more quickly. I felt that the mushroom topping needed salt and pepper.
The combo of balsamic vinegar and Dijon mustard made a delicious marinade for the chicken (and I don't even like mustard). I plan to keep a package or two of chicken breasts frozen in this marinade. The marinade will really flavor the chicken as it thaws.JaneStarr
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Old 03-24-2000, 04:21 AM   #2  

pulling up
Closed Thread