South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 06:20 AM   #1  
Staying on track!!

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/175

Default I don't use artificial sweeteners - what should I do?

I know SB encourages you to have dessert once/day, but since I don't use artificial sweeteners, I don't know what to do! I know this is probably one of the reasons I didn't stick to the diet (was b/c I didn't get to enjoy any sweets at all for 3 wks).

Please don't attempt to change my mind re: artificial sweeteners (including Splenda)...... but let me know if you have any ideas/ suggestions for me! Thanks!
Old 02-03-2005, 07:27 AM   #2  
it's always something

My personal opinion -- It may not fit in with the guidelines, but maybe you can make a list of favorite sweets, how many calories they have per serving, reduce the serving size to 75 cal worth, and limit yourself to one per day. Do this, weigh every week, and see if you are still losing weight. As long as you know your triggers and can control how much you consume, then you should be fine. The feeling of deprivation is one of the main reasons a person doesn't stick to a particular diet plan. Many people do fine with sugar substitutes as a way of treating themselves, but if you can't use them, then portion control may be your best option. If it is still not working for you, and you need more flexibility to be able to stick to a plan, then you might try another plan
Old 02-03-2005, 08:29 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Shyla, I don't know what your reasons are for not using sweetners, but I commend you! I always vowed I'd never use them, but I've slipped into the habit, and I regret it.
Suzanne's advice is perfect. As always.

BTW, I love the quote in your signature. That was one of my "promises" that I pulled from the promise box when I was a little girl, and it's my favourite.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:52 AM   #4  

I love Suzanne's recommendation.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:18 AM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Shyla, Suzanne's got a great idea there, but I know that for some people, like me, even a tiny bit of those treats would not only put me off plan immediately, but would also send me back into the roller coaster of blood sugar issues.

Have you thought of using Stevia? I don't know what your reasons are for not using sweeteners, but you may find that Stevia, derived from an herb, may not be a problem. You can find it as a "supplement" (the only way it's allowed to be marketed) in most health food stores. You won't find any prepared treats made with it in a normal store, but you may find it in an organic section or a health food store. Alternately, you could use it to make your own treats as it stands up to heat. Just a thought.

I wish you luck...it definitely would be hard to stick to this plan without the use of sweeteners of some kind. If you find that this really is a problem and stevia can't help, you may want to try WW or another program that allows you to have sugar.

Best of luck, Shyla!
Old 02-05-2005, 03:01 AM   #6  

Hi Shyla,
I don't use artificial sweeteners either. I don't like frankenfoods and we purchase mostly all organics foods... so I would rather go without than eat the artificial sweetener. Portion control is a great way to go as has been suggested for having some treats.

It is a tough one especially when you want to bake... but I have made things like wholewheat banana and also apple muffins (mini ones) on phase 2 that have no added sugar. Or have a small handful of grapes or a pink apple for dessert. For us, we are mostly sticking to wholefoods.

Like the chicks have mentioned... add a food that you like as a treat in a portion controlled amount and see if it becomes a trigger food. If it doesn't continue having it.

Good Luck,
Old 02-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #7  
Canadian, eh?

Ditto re Laurie's thoughts on stevia. It's a natural product and a very effective sweetener. We use it frequently.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:53 PM   #8  

I was having a look and here in Australia we have a product called Xylitol that is a naturally derived sweetener that is available at health food stores.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:11 AM   #9  
I vant to draw your blood

There's also another naturally derived sweetener caller erythritol that's used in Stonyfield Farms organic smoothies. These are sugar alcohols. I don't know where these fit into your philosophy of "frankenfoods, Shyla, but they might be something for you to check out. All of the "tol"s are sugar alcohols...they taste sweet, but our bodies don't process them like sugar.

For me, having one of those smoothies has become a real treat for my midmorning snack.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Mamacita
Closed Thread