Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 04:31 PM   #1  

Default Velvet Cauliflower Soup

I have never been a huge soup fan, but I am coming to appreciate pureed soups. Here's one I adapted yesterday from a high-fat recipe. It's very similar to "fake mashed potatoes" for those of you who are familiar with that. The advantage is that it's very simple and doesn't need the extra calories / junk from things like FF cream cheese. I just had it for my afternoon snack and it was great. You could serve it at a dinner party with a sprinkle of herbs and it would be a hit.

Velvet Cauliflower Soup

non-stick cooking spray
1/2 Tbsp minced onion
1/2 Tbsp minced celery (optional)
1 cup milk (nonfat, 1/2%, or 1%)
1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
dash nutmeg
salt and white pepper to taste

Spray the bottom of a small saucepan with a very small amount of cooking spray. Heat the pan over medium heat, then add onion and celery. Saute until onion is clear -- do not brown. Add milk and cauliflower and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until cauliflower is done. Allow the mixture to cool to lukewarm. Puree in a blender or with a hand blender until absolutely smooth. Reheat gently on the stove or in the microwave.

Exchanges: 1 milk, 1 1/2 vegetable
Old 02-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #2  
singletrack chick

i almost posted this recipe the other day, except mine has half milk, half veggie broth. i absolutely love this soup. sprinkle some green onions on the top and you've got faux-potato soup. i love it. my husband and i have had a bowl in the fridge since i first tried it about a month ago.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:49 PM   #3  

Ya know I was thinking that this might make a good fake vichyssoise, adding leeks and serving cold. I might even try adding some potato for a "meal in a bowl" and to make it more like real vichyssoise. mmmmmmmmm
Closed Thread