Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 08:15 PM   #1  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Question Recipe/Cooking software opinions

I've been using Mastercook 6 for a couple years. I like the custom shopping list and the relative ease of importing recipes. However, I'm looking around at the new versions out, mainly to get better nutritional info and for the upgrades to shopping lists (the new stuff can put your lists in order by aisle and some even let you customize to match your favorite store - very time saving!)
Anyway, I wondered if anybody has any strong opinions about the software they're using. Love it? Hate it? Why?
Thanks so much for any input!
Old 01-28-2005, 11:10 PM   #2  
it's always something

I have only used Mastercook and I do love it, but I hate that it doesn't provide the sugar content for recipes. I've been curious about some of the others and should at least try the free trials many offer. Have you tried any others?
Old 01-29-2005, 09:53 AM   #3  
The Weight's Coming Off!

I downloaded Cook'n to take a look, they seem to have the most cookbooks available, but there are so many free recipes on the web and in my library, that's not really important.
Right off the bat, I don't like it cause it's 16-bit, which is like going back in time to Windows '95. It took almost a minute to compile the ingredients from 6 recipes into a shopping list.
Of course, the interface is quite dated too. It does have sugar grams listed.
I downloaded the trial of Now You're Cooking 5.66 and will report back later. ALready I like that you can have aisle layouts for multiple stores for your grocery lists. And it not only lists sugars, it lists vitamins.
More when I can look at it further.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #4  
stbakd

what is address for master cook? thanks glen
Old 01-29-2005, 11:23 AM   #5  
The Weight's Coming Off!

www.mastercook.com
Old 02-02-2005, 01:15 AM   #6  
The Weight's Coming Off!

Now You're Cookin 5.66 does have weight watchers points. It's not a very intuitive interface. There's a 60-day free trial and you can down load it at www.download.com if you want to check it out yourself. Importing from Mastercook was not easy.
Tried importing into Cook'n to see if I liked it any better. It didn't know C. meant Cup or tsp was teaspoon! Had to replace half the ingredients too. Where Mastercook knew that shredded lemon peel was lemon peel, I had to find the correct ingredient in Cook'n and link it manually.
Looking more and more like I will pay for the upgrade to Mastercook. All the recipes I've already entered will still be there which is a real plus.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:41 AM   #7  
The Weight's Coming Off!

Amazon had MasterCook 8 for $17.88 so I sprang for it. Looks like a waste of money. The vaunted internet import tool only works in IE - don't they know even the US government recommends that you not use Internet Exploder due to the multitude of security flaws?
The interface is basically the same as V6. You do get more free cookbooks, but none of them are "light" or "healthy" cooking. Besides, with all the free recipes available on the internet, how necessary are 7,000 fattening free recipes? There is a new cooking for 50 book if you often cook for an army and don't know how the scale recipe function works.
I thought there were changes in the shopping list - nope.
You can customize the menu planner, but it's not simple or intuitive. You can't copy it either once you get it the way you want it.
There's supposed to be a larger ingredient database, but I don't see it. They still don't have Tilapia or Splenda/sucralose and next to no name brands.
All in all if you're using MC V6, I wouldn't waste my money "upgrading". I am very disappointed and will continue my search for a better product. Looks like Now You're Cookin' is in the lead thus far.
Closed Thread