South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 11:34 AM   #1  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Scared of Phase 2

I have done really well with Phase 1, but Monday I was supposed to move onto Phase 2, but I havent. I've heard that we shouldnt stay on Phase 1 over 2 weeks, but I am really comfortable here! Plus, (I could be wrong) I thought that Dr. Agaston said in the book that very overweight people could remain on Phase 1 for 2 weeks longer. Did I read that wrong? I am really nervous about adding more good carbs for Phase 2 and wondered how some of you gradually added them back? Any advice you have is SO appreciated!!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I think a lot of people are nervous about moving to phase 2. It's only natural, we finally see the scales move in the right direction. Who wants to mess with success?

Many people do a phase 1.5 for awhile, with only a small portion of 1 good carb or fruit a day. Then slowly add a little bit more each week or so.

You aren't alone, but you do need to start adding back your good carbs in moderation for good health.

I think the book says you can stay on phase 1 for up to a month if you are really heavy...but that's my memory and sometimes it's not so good. Maybe you could slowly ease into phase 2 by adding very small amounts each day?

Good luck
sarah
Old 01-26-2005, 01:02 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Check out the posts in the Phase II Thread in FAQ. There are lots of good ideas there.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:07 PM   #4  
We're TTC!!

Sarah and Ruth...thank you so much for the advice. I will go and check out the FAQ (totally forgot to look there!).

One other question...are there days when anyone feels extra fat and bloated, even if you have done well with the eating?? I have days like that and I even take extra fiber supplements (natural) and drink at least 3 liters of water a day.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:32 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Sarah, how are you doing? I know that moving to a new way of eating is scary, but Phase 2 is much healthier for you. By staying in Phase 1 too long, you can deprive yourself of the fiber and nutrients you really need. Try moving on to Phase 2 slowly, with only one new thing a day for the whole week...like a piece of fruit each day and no other changes. Then try adding something else, like a bowl of oatmeal. Slowly, and do it for a week at a time so you can really give your body a chance to adjust.

As to feeling fat and bloated, yes...I think we all can feel that way from time to time. Metamucil capsules can help, as does drinking your water, eating flaxseeds (ground), and exercising (moves your bowels). Other factors weigh in too, like when it's your TOM or if you just "feel" fat that day, regardless of how your body actually is.

Sarah, you may feel like you have a ton to lose, but it's not really that much. I wouldn't stay on Phase 1 much longer...you can always go back if you feel that somethings not working right, okay?

Don't worry, you can do this!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:46 PM   #6  
Faith in me

Hey rebelridergirl

When I first started South Beach back in May....I did phase 1 for about 3 weeks or so...I actually got tired of it...I mean you can only have so many salads and stuff...granted I crave salads now....Then I guess you could say I moved to phase 1.5 and then to 2...it is scary because in your mind you're thinking oh gosh I don't wanna gain any of that back...but you know what...if you do or you go off phase....you just hop back on! We're all rooting for you and everyone here!!! As for the "fat" days....oh goodness yes...I know I have those days....I was at work the other day and there are mirrors all over the dressing rooms and I'd walk by and be like Oh my gosh I need to do something about this...The ironic thing about that is that it never really occurred to me before I lost all this weight about how big I really was....Everyone is going to have a day where they feel fat....I think it's in our nature or something.....What I wanna know.....are guys like that? do they have "fat" days?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:55 PM   #7  
We're TTC!!

Thank you everyone for being so helpful and giving me those ideas and support. I am so happy with myself and actually sticking to the plan, so it just makes me nervous to think of gaining any back. I only lost 1 pound this week, but I guess it didnt take me overnight to gain the weight either. Thanks again. You ladies are wonderful!
Closed Thread