Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-24-2005, 09:35 AM   #1  

Default Starting Over!!

I never noticed how depressed I am about being this out of shape and over weight. This weekend I just sat around and realized I really am depressed and avoiding everything. (The snow storm didn't help) I haven't been out in almost a year, well besides the store and work. I mean out, out, to have fun. I can't believe this has happened to me, I'm usually that goofy friend that you would refer to as a fun nut, but I haven't had any fun lately. I need to start this whole weight lose thing again from the beginning and I just feel lost. I got up at 6:00 am and decided this is it, I called off work and I'm going to get re-organized today. I had really good luck a few years back with low fat eating, but I haven't found anybody really following this idea here. Everybody appears to be watching carbs, calories, food lists, and counting something. I'm affraid this is why I keep falling off the wagon every other week, I just really am not good with rules. I came to this board looking for low-fat followers, and found alot of fun people. Does anybody here follow plain old low fat?
lmatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I don't actually count grams, but I am eating low fat/low cal....

I'm on a 1500 cal diet and eat mostly fruits/veggies/lean meats.

I'm also doing slim fast.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:38 PM   #3  

Oh slim fast, I tried that once, you couldn't get within a city block of me. I found out I have milk issues. It was like somebody stuck a knife in my gut. I eat dairy in serious moderation. One time I packed pudding in my lunch 3 days in a row. Well, by the 4th day I thought I was going to have to come home from work early! ) I like the shakes, but they don't like me!! Ok, where was I going, oh. Last time I lost weight, I strictly ate low fat, I mean that was it. I didn't watch anything else except my pepsi intake which I cut down to one glass a week. I lost alot of weight, I mean thinner than I was before I put weight on. It was very freaky eating that much and losing weight. I also felt like 2 million dollars, which that I would LOVE to have back, that feeling that I could take on the world. With alot of these current weight programs I feel deprived, tired, shakey, and just plain horrible. I know low fat is not for everybody, but restricted food lists are really tough too. I guess I'm just mentioning that I had a really good run with it before I got really sick from my thyroid. I would like to do it again, I guess I'll be kind of following my own thing compaired to everybody else here.

Last edited by lmatis; 01-24-2005 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:50 PM   #4  
Building my Body for Life

Hi Lori! These boards are really active and you will find some great support here! I know what you mean about the snow - I live in Morgantown, WV so we got a lot of the same weather.

As for a program, I follow Bill Phillips Body for Life program. It's a combination of diet and exercise that works great for me. There are several topics on this message board for people doing their own thing in the General Diet Plans section of the main board.

Even if you're not following the Body for Life program, you should check out the Eating for Life cookbook. It has lots of healthy, low fat recipes that are easy to prepare. I got it for Christmas and I love it!

Hope that helps! Good luck!
Jocelyn
Fitchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #5  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I'm originally from follansbee (between weirton and wheeling)

small world!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #6  
Building my Body for Life

Weird! I'm not from here - moved here in July. Pretty cool, nonetheless.
Fitchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

If lowfat worked for you last time, I say go for it. I know as long as you aren't trying to cut out all fat from your diet, you should be well.
I know if it were me, I would want to figure out why I gained my weight back in the first place so I don't make that mistake again.
Good luck. Feel free to look around the site. There are several groups and clubs and there may still be a couple of low-fat followers on here.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:05 PM   #8  

One huge reason for gaining the weight back. I wound up with Graves Diease. My thyroid went to extremes on over active. I became VERY week! It took a year and a half for them to finally kill the stupid thing so now I have an underactive thyroid. I have not been active, cared about what I ate or watched anything for the past couple of years. Basically because I just gave up and eating out daily for lunch has just made things worse. I really have nobody but myself to blame. I am one of those people who have to work-out and eat right to stay fit or do nothing and be chubby. The thyroid is just an annoying factor that makes weight loss slow and frustrating. The long haul of getting better took a huge toll on me and I didn't have the snot to worry about anything else except for getting through the day. Trust me if you eat any type of meat you have no concerns about not getting enough fat. It is impossible to cut it out, but much healthier to cut back. I wish I had words for how I felt when I did it last time, I had energy to spare, looked good, and my skin was not oily. I REALLY want to have that kind of energy again!
Old 01-24-2005, 05:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

You know why you gained it back and you know how to get there again, I say go for it. I know there are several on here who are calorie counters and all though they don't do the "low-fat" the do watch their fat grams and try to keep it under a certain amount.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:00 PM   #10  

Last time I did the Fat Formula (remember Susan Powter) I know it dosen't work for everybody, but I have to tell you, when I was a teenager and on the pill they checked my cholestoral levels and they were through the roof. They even had a dietician come and talk to me about cutting out the fat. Any way years passed had the kids and was really over weight. Read and applied Susan's concepts and lost alot of weight. I talked the Dr. into checking my cholesterol levels and she didn't give me the numbers but she said "I don't think it is possible for you to have a heart attack ever with those kind of numbers" I'm going to get a copy of them and check it again now that I haven't behaved for the past 5 or so years.
Ignor my spelling