Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-17-2005, 05:37 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers - Week of January 17 - 23

Good morning! It's 11 degrees here and I'm getting ready to head out into the snow and ice for 6 AM cardio ... If I let myself think about it, I probably wouldn't go, so best to stay on autopilot this morning.

DH is blissfully snoring away in the warm bed with two cats. He's home for MLK day, though undoubtedly he'll work here at home. A day off is never really a day off in his world.

I got this in my email this morning, from a little Zone diet daily message that I subscribe too - boy, can I relate to what it describes!
Quote:
What Is an Insulin Hangover?

Dr. Sears has long cautioned against this kind of "hangover" — which has nothing to do with drinking too much Chardonnay. Increasingly, it's mentioned in the media as a condition brought on by a meal heavy in starchy carbs. The symptoms: bloating, physical fatigue, lack of mental focus. It's caused by the rush of insulin triggered when a load of carbohydrates is consumed, unbalanced by the slowing effects of protein and fat.

While this "hangover" is unpleasant, Dr. Sears actually recommends indulging in a carb-heavy meal every month or so — a big bowl of pasta or platter of Mexican rice and beans, for example — to remind you just how powerful carbs are.
I've certainly experienced this kind of hangover - I know Ilene has too! Excessive carbs act like a sleeping pill to me and it's interesting about the insulin since I guess that explains why.

I hope you all check out Key #2 in our Thin For Life discussion (in the Maintenance Library). We had some great posts in our first week's thread!

Off for cardio! (need Eskimo smilie )
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:19 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning everyone!

It was a nice long week. More relaxation than normal, but I got back into exercise this weekend with light weights on Saturday, and on Sunday a nice easy bike to the pool, easy swim, and then bike home. Feels good to be active again. I've got two more weeks of 'active rest' to complete my recovery--my coach says people are very injury prone right after a long race like that, and some easy time is necessary.

Had a nice time with my parents, who leave town today. It was really good to see them. And added bonus, no major food issues this time! Of course, this visit was on my 'turf' so that makes it easier.

I guess I'm lucky. I can eat carbs all day, even highly refined ones, without any slumps. It makes me feel energetic and happy. Of course, in excess it also makes me fat. Maybe not so lucky after all.

Hope everybody has a good week! I have to drag myself off to work now. I must try to think at least a couple positive thoughts about that.
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:35 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Quicky post -- I'm off to the gym very soon to do legs that I haven't done in a week and a half !!

Yes, 'carb coma', 'carb hangover', yes that is definitely moi!! I now have second thoughts before I eat a donut or cake, because I know I'm on the couch for the afternoon... Maybe I should eat them before bed? NOT, NOT, NOT !!! Don't even think of it Ilene .... I'm kidding of course, because when I get the coma it turns into a headache ... ... Can't win and that's ok, I'm used to the idea and I don't miss the sweets ...

Ok, gots to goooooooooo!! TTFN ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:32 PM   #4  

Hi,
I am back from my 1 week vacation in Mexico. After heavy snow storms and freezing temperatures here in Vancouver we are up to the tropical rain. 10cm every day for 5 days they promise us.

Vacation was great. Hotel had beautiful gym, I did not miss a day. Every morning we would go there for an hour, followed by 1 hour swim in the pool. It was great to relax and not to think about work, kids, weight, food, etc. Foodwise I was smart enough, so weight stayed the same as before. I indulged in some drinks and mexican food - after all it is my first vacation in Mexico. Now I am all relaxed and back to work. Gym in 30 minutes, yoga class - my first one this year, tonight. Hope a lot of people will start new year with ne resolutions, so i hope a lot of new people will show up for the class.

Last edited by Sashenka; 01-17-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:30 PM   #5  

Wow - can I EVER relate to that feeling of bloated-cum-sleepiness after a binge. I used to feel that way all the time for most of my life. Too bad I didn't "fix" the life for so long, but now so glad to have turned the corner. Also, again, so incredibly happy and amazed to have found this site and you all. Truly incredible. You all speak my language so well. There isn't a single post about which I could say, "huh?" At any rate, got chest done this AM, then two clients. Home for lunch - now back for another lady and then me and my cardio. A bit backwards - usually, I like the cardio first.......then weights later, but today, I made a plan to meet a buddy I work out with at 7AM and guess what? She didn't show! I know you've all been there, done that too. So nice to have a place to unload. And thanks for the quote and all your posts. They are great! N2L
Never2Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:51 PM   #6  

Sashenka, it's wonderful that you got so much exercise in during your vacation. I am in awe that you could spend a week in Mexico and not gain at all! That's great!

Enjoyed step class today. I've kicked up my exercise a couple of notches and I've been feeling so good! On Wednesday, I'm going to try a "Power Hour" class that begins at 5:45am! I'm looking forward to it and I'm hoping I will be just as enthused when the alarm clock goes off that morning. I haven't been an early morning exerciser in a LONG time!
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:30 PM   #7  

Hello:

Off to a better start this week. Day off today for the holiday helped. Been in the "it's not going well stage" for the past week. Should have see it coming and been better prepared. Moving forward.

I am attempting to kick up my exercise routine a few notches like you Karynlee. The tread on gene's really hit home with me and my struggles to maintain at what I always wanted to believe was to much exercise & not enough food. So again I continue to move forward.

Carb "hangover" is a very recent memory for me. I told you it was not going well, this past week.(LOL)
Good week to all.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:25 AM   #8  

Hi all,

Meg: So THATs what it is !!! INSULIN !! I have this every day after lunch, and just could not figure out what was going on. I usually have a hig protein breakfast with lots of brwers yeast, and I have usually a lot of carbohydrates for lunch, and everyday it is like a man with a hammer hits me !. I am definitely goig to try today what happens if I have a salad with tune (high protein) and only 1 slice of bread to see if that helps.

Karynlee: an excercise class at 5.45 AM ? You must be soo motivated ! I hope you had lots of fun.

Gina: good luck this week !

have a good day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:18 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Good morning girls !!

Sash ~~ Congrats on going to the gym during your Mexico vacation...

N2L ~~ Welcome! Are you a trainer?

Karyn ~~ I know you can get up early, GO GO GO !!

Rabbit ~~ I always have a fair amount (5-6 oz) of good lean protein at pretty much every meal... you're right your fatigue is probably caused by too many carbs. What I find also helps me in the afternoon if I get a slump and and I've had a decent lunch is a good COLD glass of water, it works better than coffee... dehydration will also make you tired...

Yesterday I did LEGS I am feeling my buns this morning!! I know by this afternoon I'll be having a difficult time sitting on the toilet!! ... I love this pain... It's ok I KNOW I'm not well ... ...

TTFN...
Old 01-18-2005, 11:33 AM   #10  

Thanks Ilene,
I tried some tuna on a salad for lunch today and it did not do the trick. But I see now that it was way less than the 5 - 6 oz that you take. i am definitely going to pursue this, if anything can make me get rid of the man with the hammer effect I'm ready to try !
rabbit
Old 01-18-2005, 12:30 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

I am so absolutely lazy today... I dragged myself to the gym did ok on the weights worked arms, walked slowly 3.1 mph, yea you read right after 30 mins I was fed up ... My legs also felt like lead must be the workout I had yesterday that killed me....So here I sit ready to go take a hot bath ... I guess I'm allowed a lazy day once in a while. Must be the cold it's -11F here and all I want to do is nest, curl up with a good book... So that's my plan for this afternoon is a bath and a book... sooooo TTFN...
Old 01-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Good morning, well afternoon actually. It's very cold here, with windchill factors close to where farenheit and celcius meet. I did go running this morning, but only a brief 30 minute run. I was worried I'd end up with frostbite on my face if I was out too long. But the sun is shining outside and it looks very nice through my living room window.

The insulin hangover information is interesting, but (un)fortunately I've never experienced it, even when I've eaten cookies or a chocolate bar instead of lunch. Carbs are my friends and I could eat them all day. I have to make a conscious effort to eat protein with each meal since I know I'll feel full longer, but I'd rather just have, say, a toasted tomato sandwich with mustard and pickles on it for lunch and I have to remind myself to have some low fat cheese or cottage cheese or a hard boiled egg with it. My diet tends to be 50-60% carb, 15-20 protein and the rest fat, which is probably way less protein than most here, but it works well for me.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 08:10 AM   #13  

Good Morning:

The deep freeze has hit here as well. I don't like the cold but if the suns out I am okay. I noticed last weeks bad "rain & no sun all week" made a tough week worse.
I wonder if going to a tanning booth helps with the no sun depression?

I am back on the exercise track and I know your pain Ilene.
Getting back on the nutriton track as well. I am a 60/20/20 eater as well, Only Me.
I am trying the change that to 50/30/20, the protein does help with the long lunch period. Another idea for rabbit, break your lunch down into two smaller meals, half at 12 & half at two.

Jealous of all my friends in warm climates.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:56 AM   #14  

Hi all,
Gina thanks for the suggestion, I'm sure going to try that.
Yesterday I added a boiled egg & 1/2 can of tuna to my lunch and I noticed that after that I did not want to snack at chocolate & dried cranberries anymore. So I think this insulin/blood sugar link could be it.
Today I am noting my food intake, plus how I feel, over the day and I hope if I do this for a couple of days I can figure out how to tweak it into a better pattern.
What I notice is that on some days I am dead tired after lunch and just seem to crave sugar, and after I have had some I keep nibbling away at high sugar things, so that could be because of a lot of fluctuations in the blood sugar, which eating a lot of protein could dampen out. I'll find out if there is a connection after I loggged this for some days I think.

have a good day everyone,
rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 01-20-2005 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:37 AM   #15  

Morning:

Well, I am trying to track my weight on a chart for the next month, Thanks to Anne's charting. I am thinking that I need to cancel out the high's and low's I experience at the scale and just deal with it on a longer term outlook. So even though the scale is the same today, the high end of my comfort (uncomfort) range I am okay. I usually only weigh in on a weekly basis so maybe if I see the scale fluctions on a daily basis it will help.
Good day to all