South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 10:03 AM   #1  

Default Bah, I barely lost 1/2 pound on my second week of phase 1!

What am I doing wrong?!?

The first week was great. Lost 4 pounds, felt great, etc. The second week the *only* difference is that I had some wine on Friday night. Given that pre-diet, I drank wine almost every night, I didn't think that once in 2 weeks was so bad! Could one night of drinking really throw off the diet that badly?

Other than that, not one non-SB approved thing has passed my lips, I swear it. What's going on?

For what it's worth, hubby had the same thing happen. We both lost a decent amount the first week, then it just stalled.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:19 AM   #2  

Many people have the same thing happen. Just be patient and you will start losing again now that you are in Phase 2. I also find that sometimes if I have a plateau of several weeks that I may be losing inches instead of pounds.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:31 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Abadoozy, are you drinking lots of water? That's a sure way to get the weight off.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:47 AM   #4  

Water wise I'm fine. Even when not on a diet, I constantly have a glass of water or no-caffeine herbal tea at my side. I'm very much a water drinker, and always have been.

Also, I just realized, I made some sugar-free pudding and had it before I realized it's not officially on Phase 1. I made it with 1% milk, and it was the Jell-o sugar-free stuff. I had it twice.

I'm wracking my brain here trying to think of anything else that was "wrong" besides the pudding and the wine, and I honestly can't think of anything. I know I've been eating WAY less that I was pre-diet, and a lot more healthy stuff - veggies, lean meat, etc.

Are canned tomatoes OK? I did make chili one night, with canned tomatoes (I use the Muir Glen brand with no added sugar or anything other than tomatoes). I'm pretty sure I read that canned tomatos are OK. Other ingredients were lean ground beef, kidney beans, a little bit of chicken stock, onions, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder. The beans didn't have any sugar or fat in them. Maybe too many beans? Although I put 2 cans in, and we each ate 1/4 of the batch of chili, so that's 1/2 a can per person - I think that's a reasonable amount.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #5  

Sounds like you are doing great on the water. The SF pudding is not on phase 1 because of the starches in it.

Canned tomatoes are fine as long as they have no added sugar like yours. Your chili sounds great.

The only mistakes I can see are the pudding and wine. 4 1/2 pounds is great for two weeks. It beats the four that I lost.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:44 AM   #6  
Razz

Just keep going! I had a friend who gained a few pounds in Phase 1!
Old 01-19-2005, 07:49 AM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Abadoozy, Razz is right... keep going! I only lost 5 during Phase I, but continued to lose steadily on Phase II.
If you like, post a typical day of eating and we'll "access you".
Old 01-19-2005, 09:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Move over, Abadoozy, I'm in the same boat! The first time I was on Phase 1 I lost 11lbs, but this time I've only lost 3, and I'm dearly holding on to that! I'm eating all the right foods, exercising, and drinking plenty of water, so I can't figure what the heck is going on this time. I'm thinking maybe my body likes where it is and refuses to lose any more. But I'm 5ft 1", so 146 is way too heavy for me, although I'm wearing a size 8 and like how I look. I think we should hang in there no matter how fustrating it is, and sooner or later we're going to see some action.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:23 AM   #9  

OK, today was my official 2 week mark, and I'm down 5.5 pounds - I must have been retaining some water when I sneaked a peak at the scale yesterday.

But still, it seems like a lot of people lose 6 to 12 pounds. Bah!

Here's what I ate yesterday. Any comments are appreciated:

Breakfast:
2 eggs frittata with a pile of spinach, onions, and low-fat cheddar cheese, used some of that fake butter (the non-trans-fat stuff) to cook it in. Put some no-sugar-added salsa on top.

2 cups of coffee with 1% milk in them, drunk through the morning.

Lunch:
Some leftover lean steak (T-bone) from a day or two ago, a piece of string cheese, 1/2 of a giant bell pepper dipped in about 2T of hummus (no sugar, all good stuff). Maybe a hard boiled egg - I can't remember!

Dinner:
Lean ground round hamburger patty, topped with onions sauted in olive oil and a piece of Kraft cheese (less than 6 gr fat per serving), big salad on the side topped with a little grated low fat swiss and Newman's Own Ranch dressing (I don't use a lot of dressing, and it's less than 3 gr sugar per 2T.)

Dessert:
Sugar free fudgsicle

Snacks:
1 hard boiled egg
15 almonds

That's a pretty typical day.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:22 AM   #10  
A Lily from my yard!

Abadoozy... Don't sweat it! I only lost 4.5 lbs Your doin great!
Old 01-19-2005, 04:37 PM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Abadoozy, it all sounds fine! I would add some yogurt and FF milk to make sure you lose belly fat, but otherwise, everything looks fine. I will say that any cheats at all in Phase 1, even a tiny one, can really mess up your loss. On the other hand, you lost more than many people do, so don't stress, okay? Just move on to Phase 2 and enjoy!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:55 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 208/196/150

Height: 5'7

Abadoozy, I lost 10 during Phase I but I stalled out halfway between. I didn't lose anything for a whole week, then the day before my official 2 week weigh in, I was down 10. I got past my stall by jogging, first thing in the morning and doing some strength training afterwards. I'm still only down 10 and it's almost time for week 3 weigh in, but I'm not stressing about it....I can tell my clothes are getting a little loose on me. Focus more on how your clothes fit instead of that number

Started South Beach on Jan 02, 2004
Valentines Mini Goal 165
Closed Thread