South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 09:30 AM   #1  

Talking Cheese?

Good morning everyone!

Is there any guidelines regarding cheese? How much is allowed? I know your dairy is supposed to stay under 2 cups, including yogurt and riccota, but what about lf/ff cheeses?

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-17-2005, 11:12 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Heidi, you obviously don't want to go overboard, as cheese does have quite a bit of calories! In general, though, as far as I know, there aren't any guidelines on how much cheese you can have, just on what kind of cheese. You are looking for cheeses that are "light" or "low fat" (or fat free, if you can stomach it), with no more than 6g of fat per serving.

Some that are good choices:

Cabot's Reduced Fat cheese (yum!)
2% milk slices
Part Skim Mozzerella (in string cheese sticks, too)
Sargento Reduced Fat Cheese (shredded)

Hope this helps!
Old 01-17-2005, 11:35 AM   #3  

Thanks Laurie!

I have tried Cabots and LOVE IT! I found a huge brick of 50% reduced fat at Sam's club for only $6.50!!!!!

I try not to go overboard and only add it to recipes!
Old 01-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #4  

I like the Babybel Light. There easy enough to stick in my pocket without getting all squishy. For the record I probably eat 4 oz of cheese a day.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:05 PM   #5  

I like the babybel, too! I really like the laughing cow light cheese. I even use it to make soup a little more creamy. It take a while to melt, but it's worth it!
Old 01-17-2005, 12:07 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi-ho
I really like the laughing cow light cheese. I even use it to make soup a little more creamy. It take a while to melt, but it's worth it!
Great idea. I'll have to try it.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:47 PM   #7  

Heidi is that a SHIBA in your pic?

My beloved Shiba was killed a couple weeks before Christmas - someone left a door open during a holiday party and he ran out into the busy road instead of to the 11 acres in the other direction :-(

On a lighter note, what a great picture!
Old 01-17-2005, 02:00 PM   #8  

Default To Abadoozy

Oh, I am sooooo sorry about your Shiba!!! That is horrible. Can I say I know how you feel?

Yes, this is Cubbie and he is a 9 mo old Shiba. On December 5th, my DB opened the sliding glass door 2 inches at 6am and Cubbie got his snout in there and wiggled his way out. They are renounded escape artists. He immediately ran out into the busy street and was smacked by a car. Fortunately, the car braked and he was dazed. The car kept going and he realized what happend when I was running at him in my pj's and he booked across the street. I didn't see him again. We searched all day crying and passing out fliers with that very picture. We gave up hope at dusk and just cursed god and at least give us a sign that he's alive or dead. I kid you not, a man named Jesus called me 10 minutes later to tell me he found my dog at the car dealership across the street. We went there and Cubbie came running to me. He only had a little trauma to his face and an airpocket on his lung. So, he was confined to bed rest for 1 week in his cage. We were very lucky that he is alive. Needless to say, we are now believers in miracles and God does listen. I am not religious, just spiritual.

I am so very sorry for your loss, it's devestating. It feels like your heart has been ripped out and the void is so hard to fill. My ex-husband let our toy fox terrier out to do his business and didn't watch him. He was not so lucky and died in my arms. So, that's part of why he's my ex now.

I hope you will not shy away from filling your home and heart with another dog. It won't replace your beloved baby, but it will make it easier to cope.

Last edited by Heidi-ho; 01-17-2005 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Email address listed - I'm such a dork
Old 01-17-2005, 02:44 PM   #9  
Gotta move my Thang!

Abadoozy, Heidi, I'm sorry for both your dog losses - I've just got a very handsome mutt, but he also likes to escape and run toward danger. We've been extrememly lucky so far, thank goodness. But I feel for you both.

Heidi - a word to the wise, it's probably not a good idea to post your email address in a public thread. There are unsavory types out there who lurk on boards like this to find emails to bury in spam or otherwise exploit. Try using the Private Message feature here instead. You should also be able to edit your message to remove the email if you want to.

And again, so sorry about your puppies. Take care!
Solarmama

P.S. to come back to subject of cheese, Cabot makes a powdered cheddar that is yummy but hard to find. It gives a cheesy flavor to things without adding a lot of calories, though it isn't labeled as "low fat." I like it best on popcorn, of course, but since I started SBD I've been adding it to soups and in chicken salad. It adds a nice richness.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:50 PM   #10  

Thanks Solarmama! I'm such a trusting fool!!!! I took care of the edit!!!

I'm going to have to look for that Cabot's powerdered cheese! I bet it would be great on veggies!
Old 01-17-2005, 02:55 PM   #11  

Wow, Heidi, that is an amazing story about Cubbie.

Gromit, my Shiba, was four years old when he was killed. We had him since he was a puppy, and it was just horrible. He died quickly - no pain - and he's buried in our yard now. He was really one of the best dogs I've ever had. He used to sit on his butt and put his "hands" up on my lap and stare at me with those big brown eyes. He looked just like the picture of your Shiba. We do miss him a lot.

We do have another puppy now. We'd gotten a pug (the one in my picture) about a year and a half ago as a companion to Gromit, and she wasn't doing too well without a playmate. We called her breeder and lo and behold, she had a litter ready to go on the 8th that were from the same parents as Edith had. So we now have another pug - pictures are at www.nemthanatos.com/Frodo.

We thought about getting another Shiba, but as you say - they are escape artists. I just couldn't go through another dog that had that instinct to run. But we do miss him badly - he was so graceful and athletic, and the pugs are great, but "grace" isn't quite one of their virtues!

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread so badly - I just got excited when I saw your Shiba! They're uncommon dogs, and I always like to talk to other Shiba owners.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:03 PM   #12  

I'm happy you have another dog. It must have been so hard! They are adorable, by the way! The little black one is too cute!!! A pug was our second choice! But, cubbie is a little stinker and we love that about him! We just can't wait until he is out of his puppy stage, all that biting and attitude!

Back to cheese....

Thanks for all the tips and cheese postings! It really helps!!!
Old 01-17-2005, 03:23 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi-ho
IA pug was our second choice! But, cubbie is a little stinker and we love that about him! We just can't wait until he is out of his puppy stage, all that biting and attitude!
For what it's worth, I can tell you from experience that Shibas and Pugs get along *great*.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:01 PM   #14  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

And all dogs like cheese! Ask mine!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:38 PM   #15  
kpw

So sorry about your dog getting hit :-(

I found that nothing killed hunger cravings more than a slice of cheese. It was kinda hard -to- go overboard.

If you have a Trader Joes' nearby, try the reduced fat gouda (I like it better than regular gouda - nutty tasting), and I always like the reduced fat or 'lite' havarti. Yummy-
Closed Thread