Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 10:37 PM   #1  

Default does anyone have any simple quick recipes?

im in college and i have absolutely no time to cook(and hardly the ability:P). im new to weight watchers..and im sick of frozen food! help!
Old 03-23-2004, 10:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Lots of things can be made easily in a crockpot. Any kind of meat with veggies around it put on in the a.m. would make a nice hot supper for you with leftovers for awhile. You can also make lots of soups, chilis, spaghetti sauce etc.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:58 PM   #3  

Babe - Here are some of the recipes I have tried and loved. I scavage the internet searching for them and make my own cookbooks. Sorry, I can't give credit to where I found them from, but I cannot take credit.

Happy cooking!

Melanie

Crockpot Stuffing and Chicken

1 pkg Stove Top Stuffing (dry) 1 little package of spices/herbs (from box)
1 can 98% FF cream of mushroom 1/2 cup water
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Mix first three ingredients together (I just did it in the crockpot) place defrosted chicken on top and cook on low for 7 hours.

Makes 4 servings at 7 pts each.

next time: try putting a can of green beans in the crockpot, under the chicken.
MB added mushrooms, celery, and carrots. Yum!!

Crockpot Sour Cream Salsa Chicken
servings | 4
estimated POINTS per serving | 4

4 Skinless/Boneless chicken Breast halves 1 pkg reduced sodium taco seasoning mix
1 cup Salsa 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup light sour cream

Spray crockpot with cooking spray. Add the chicken breasts. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and salsa. cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
When ready remove the chicken from the pot. place about 2 tablespoons of corn starch in a small amount of water and stir well. Stir the cornstarch mixture in to the salsa sauce. Stir in the sour cream.

Let the sauce warm up and serve when hot.

Crockpot Chicken Stroganoff (one of DH’s favorites)
servings | 6
estimated POINTS per serving | 4

1 lb boneless chicken breast, frozen 1 can 98% ff cream of mushroom soup
16 oz ff sour cream 1 pkg onion soup mix

Place frozen chicken breast on the bottom of crockpot. Mix other ingredients together and pour over chicken. Cook on low setting for at least 7 hours. Stir sauce well before serving.

If you serve this over rice or noodles, add appropriate points per serving size!

(I omitted the onion soup mix the second time I made this as I thought it was too salty using it. I instead cut up an onion and added a can of mushrooms. I served this with zero point vegetables for a filling low-point meal. Very Good!)

Broccoli Soup

3 Points per serving

1 can cream celery soup 98% fat-free
1 can cream mushroom soup 98% fat-free
1 box frozen Broccoli chopped. (I use Birds Eye)
1/4 cup low fat shredded cheese
2 cups skim milk

Cook broccoli as directed add soups, milk and cheese. Heat till hot and serve, Enjoy. The soup thickens as it cool's down. I like a half sandwich with my soup.

Makes 6 cups. Serving size: 1 Cup

Barbecue Chicken

6.5 Points Per serving

1 C. Ketchup
1 12oz. Can Diet Coke
4 Chicken breasts (skinless, boneless, 3oz each)
2 C. White rice, cooked

Combine ketchup and Diet Coke in shallow pan. Add chicken. Place on stove over medium heat. Bring to a boil-lower heat so that ketchup mixture continues to bubble. Cook like this for one hour-uncovered. Sauce will thicken as it boils. Serve over rice.

Makes 4 Servings

Campbell's One Dish Chicken and Rice

6 Points Per Serving

1 can cream of mushroom soup -- Campbell's 98% FF
1 cup water
3/4 cup white rice, regular -- uncooked
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt -- my own addition
4 chicken breast halves -- skinned and boned

In 2-qt. shallow baking dish, mix soup, water, rice, paprika and pepper. Place chicken on rice mixture. Sprinkle with additional paprika and pepper. Cover. Bake at 375º for 45 minutes or until chicken and rice are done. For Creamier rice, increase water to 1 1/3 cups.

SERVINGS: 4

NOTE: This was pretty spicy for even DH. Next time I am going to cut back on paprika & pepper
Old 03-27-2004, 07:02 PM   #4  

Wink

thanks so much yall! im definetely gonna try these out! they sound yummy!
Old 03-29-2004, 01:33 AM   #5  

Talking

The bbq chicken is super yummy. I was reluctant to try it, just sounds odd using a can of soda - but I made it and it is so good. I have not made it in a while - I guess I know whats for dinner tomorrow night.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:24 PM   #6  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

I was also going to suggest using a crockpot. I am not in college anymore, but am a busy mom of 2 small girls and the crockpot is a lifesaver for a good tasting hot meal.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:58 PM   #7  

I make these quick quesadillas
4 baja white corn tortillas - 1 pt
1/2 C f/f chedder cheese - 2 pt
1 spoonfull f/f sour cream - 0 pt
salsa - 0 pt

Spray a skillet with pam put 2 tortillas in pan then spread sour cream and salsa on each one, then put 1/4 c cheese on each one and top with the other tortillas cook untill cheese melts and tortillas get crispy (flip over once during cooking) A very yummy and filling easy 3 point meal!
Old 05-27-2004, 09:23 PM   #8  

I tried the crockpot sour cream salsa chicken, absolutely fabulous, good cold the next day on salad greens too. I may have used slightly larger breasts I figured it out to 6 points per serving. Thank You Emerald for the great recipes.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:39 AM   #9  

I actually asked for a crockpot for Christmas, because I know it'll help me want to cook more. Does anyone else have any other crockpot recipes?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:08 PM   #10  

try www.southernfood.about.com
click on the crockpot link, lots of fabulous recipes, you can pick and choose and figure out the points, its excellent for cooking a small roast beef too,
put beef in crockpot sprinkle with garlic powder, soy sauce, a packet of oxo beef and about 1/2 cup of water. cook all day it wiil fall apart
Old 01-14-2005, 12:58 PM   #11  
Back fat Be Gone!

Thumbs up In College TOO

I'm a college student too and a mom, and I'm a super picky eater, and suck at cooking. Sooooooo here are some of the things that help me survive WW without the hassle. Oh yeah and my crockpot is a huge helper. You can throw anything into it and it will taste good at the end of the day. I usually buy cheaper lean meats like sirloin and just throw it in the crock with enough water to cover the meat, some carrots and maybe some galic salt and pepper. But here are my other ideas:

Campbells soup 3-5 points

Mrs. T's Pierogis cheddar and potato (in freezer section of grocery, just boil in water for about 3-5 minutes and top with some spray butter) 1 point each

Simply fruit popsicle bar 1 point

Popcorn points vary but very low

Pistachios 40 = 4 points

Whole Chicken (just throw in oven at 350 degrees for 2-2.5 hours) 3oz = 3pt

Wendys sm chili with side salad w/ reduced fat ranch = $2.10 & 7 pts

Cod fillet (put on large piece of tinfoil, spray some spray butter on it, fold the tinfoil into a pocket so the entire fish is covered and leakproof then throw on BBQ grill for about 10 min or in oven at 350 degrees for about 25-30) points vary on size of fillet, but still low and easy to do

Precooked frozen shrimp (thaw under running cold water, then throw in frying pan with spray butter and a little garlic salt for about 5 minutes) points vary but low and again easy

Pita pizza (small pita bread, lightly cover with light tomato sauce, light cheese and mushrooms or veggies of choice, bake in oven until cheese is melted) about 4-5 points depending on how sparingly you use cheese, your book will help you figure the points

Taco Bell 1 chicken soft taco and side of rice 8 points

Burger King 5 piece nugget 1 BBQ sauce and side salad 6pts w/out dressing (add dressing points accordingly)

Gorton's grilled fish fillet's (follow directions on box) all flavors only 2 pts each

Dannon light and fit yogurt (small one that comes in six pack) 1 pt each

Ragu express pasta with sauce for the microwave 4pts per pouch

My easy easy chili - 1 lb ground turkey or extra lean beef (cooked), 1 pack chili seasoning, 1 can kidney beans undrained, 1 can chili beans undrained, 1 can crushed tomatoes, 1 can tomatoe sauce. Brown meat, drain fat and mix all ingredients together, let simmer on stove or cook in crock as long as you want. 5pts per cup with lean beef 4 pts with turkey (can't even tell it's turkey) Sooooooo good and easy to make.

Hope my ideas helped, they aren't all the best food choices but have worked for me in the past and are easy.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:01 PM   #12  
stbakd

does anyone know how long to cook slow cooker reciepes in the oven. glen
Old 01-14-2005, 10:33 PM   #13  

I think it would dry out too much in the oven but you could try 225 for about the same time.
Sugar: your chilli sounds good and simple.
Happy cooking!
Old 01-19-2005, 06:23 PM   #14  
Back fat Be Gone!

After posting about the chili I had to make it, I've been eating it for three days in a row now. I love it. I'm a plain, picky eater though, anyone else can spice it up with onions and peppers for that extra oomph.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #15  

Height: 5'3

sugarholic,
Can u please post the Chili Recipe that u are talkin about... I would love to try it...
Thanks..... :-)
Closed Thread