Old 01-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #1  
Persistent and Stubborn

Default The Pact #2

Original Introduction (mette): We are 3 women who met in the "Buddy Up" forum, and we thought it was time for us to move our little group into "Support Groups". The 3 of us have recently made a pact to lift weights, eat right and lose weight. We want to do this together and support each other daily while doing this.

Together we have been trying to learn how to eat well and exercise well. We all want to lose weight, and we don't follow the exact same food and exercise programs either. But we all want to eat more balanced and healthier. And we all want to lift weights and become stronger.

We are also very friendly and welcome anybody who wants to join us in the pact to lift weights, eat right and lose weight!

2005 - It's a new year and a chance to continue with our pact and take a step closer to our goals. Please feel free to join us in the new year with our new resolve.
shyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #2  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

Hi guys!
Ang, thanks for starting the new thread; the old one was really getting too big!

Hope you all are having good weekends, it's very quiet and slow here. Bad weather too: it hasn’t stop raining at all today.

The guys at the maintainers’ forum are going to discuss the book “Thin for Life” by Anne Fletcher this month. In the book, she writes about people who have lost weight and kept it off for a long time (she calls them “masters”), and different strategies they use to lose weight and maintain the loss. So far I like the book, but I’ve only read the first two chapters – or “keys to success”. The first one is about the fact that you need to believe that you’re capable of getting and staying thin. The second one is about taking responsibility for having gotten fat, and then taking responsibility for getting and staying thin.
I find it a bit daunting how much work it actually is going to take to lose this weight and then to maintain the weight loss for the rest of my life.

Like anything else - it’s all about taking it a day at a time, huh???
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:53 PM   #3  
Persistent and Stubborn

Hi there.

Weekdeds these days never seem to be as good as I'm hoping as I am trudging through the week. I am really hoping that it has more to do with winter than me so at least in a couple of months things should be better. Do either of you have trouble getting motivated to do things around the house? I'd just rather sit and watch television - but not really because I wish I wanted to be productive.

I did go to the grocery store today - my big accomplishment. The weather is not very good here either so that doesn't help with anything. I may be going to a friend's house tonight but don't really care if I do at this point. The roads are icy and it's cold.

What have you ladies been up to this weekend?

mette - would you recommend the book at this point? I need something to really get me thinking here so a good book might help if it actually says something 'new'.

I got a free two week membership to the YMCA since I took a tour there. I'm going to do it next week (friend in this week) and see if it is something that can work for me. Maybe it's the jump start my exercise program needs.

Today my bf looked through some old photo albums of mine that included a few pics of me. It was surprising to see how my appearance has changed even in the last 6 years. I didn't realize how much my weight fluctuated (or at least my size given changes in muscle at certain points). We were just talking about pictures - it is really amazing how unrealistic my body image is since I don't look at each day and glances are from a partial mirror mostly. Do you feel like your body image is realistic?

I'm off to try and motivate myself to do something today. mette - I'm in the one hour at a time mood.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:38 AM   #4  

Morning ladies!

*yawwwn* I really miss those three day weekends already. Geez.
I did a lot of eating out this weekend, but had steak and mashed potatoes (which are not South Beach friendly, but screw that!) I just cut both the steak and potatoes in half, had it for dinner one night, and lunch the next day.

I even had half a milkshake, and when I weighed in this morning - I had finally dropped another pound!

My sister and I made it to the gym yesterday and I am enjoying the tight, sore feeling in my abs from the crunch machines. We didn't write anything down, since it was our first day back in months. We are going to try to go Weds and Suns for sure, and next time we go, I am going to start writing down exactly what I do. Then be really dorky and put it in a database so I can track it!

Breakfast this morning was Kashi Autumn Harvest (That stuff is so good.)
I have two clementines for my snacks.
Not sure about lunch or dinner yet, but oh well.

Just a quick pop in. I'll try and write back more later. Oh, need to subscribe to this new thread.
lilwolfe006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:28 PM   #5  
Persistent and Stubborn

Hello there - It is so hard to get going on Mondays, particularly when they are cold and dreary.

Congratulations Renne on the pound weight loss. Portion control is probably just as important, if not more so, than the actually choices you make. Also great that you got to the gym! btw - I'm all into databases and spreadsheets. At least you can monitor your progress.

I stepped on the scale last night (ok, shouldn't get on at night but...) and I was 200. I didn't dare step on this morning. The awful thing was I had had a big lunch so dinner was an orange. I thought my eating had gotten a little better in the last few days or so but the weight still keeps coming on. I know I need to exercise but I s hould be able to maintain by just not eating too badly. right? The 200 mark is really scary. Unfortunately getting depressed about it just makes me want to eat.

Breakfast this morning was cereal and lunch is a salad with chicken in it and an apple. I have a thing of string cheese for a protein snack later. Dinner will be chicken with cucumber/avocado salad and some butternut squash. DOe sit sound bad to you two?

Other than this work is going fine. I'm going to try and walk a little at lunch. What's up with you ladies?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:15 PM   #6  
maintaining

Happy Monday everybody! (It really doesn’t feel like a happy Monday, but it’s a chance it gets better by pretending – you know: fake it until you make it - so I'll just keep saying it! )

A big “ouch” for the weighing Ang! It really isn’t a good thing to go on the scale in the evening… At least you know that you have no idea whether this number on the scale is realistic or just random. I think you’re doing the right thing today: eating light food (Your eating today sounds very good!) and getting some light exercise. And then you can go on the scale again tomorrow morning when you’re naked! You’ll probably get much better results!
Wish you a good food day today!
Well both of you obviously – or all of us!

I’m not motivated to do things around the house either – and don’t even have much to do – but I still prefer to watch stupid TV shows instead. I blame it on January these days; because everything outside is just wet, cold and dark! I want to sit under a blanket and drink tea!

Ang - Great news about the free membership at the YMCA – hope you enjoy it.
Renee – good for you going to the gym and getting sore! Yey! It’s so nice that you have your sister to go to the gym with – a buddy is very helpful and motivating!
Btw: I have spreadsheets monitoring my progress too!

Ang – from looking at old photos – do you find that you see yourself as bigger than you are in reality?
There aren’t many photos of me from the last years, so I don’t have many photos of me at my heaviest. But even now - 5 months after I stopped losing weight – I still haven’t settled into my new size completely. It truly amazes me how slowly I get used to my size and body when they change.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:50 PM   #7  
Persistent and Stubborn

I'll join in on the fake it until you make it.

mette - what are you doing today? Are you under a blanket watching stupid t.v.? It's not even warm in my office today - the cold seems to zap motivation. Maybe it's a physical thing.

mette - would you mind sending a list of the exercises you do (divided by workout) at the gym? If you're using one of Krista's plans just tell me and I'll go look it up. I want to really get something out of this free membership (hopefully a real membership soon). I'm trying to see if bf is allowed to try it out free too since he was with me during the tour (they send the free invitation to people who tour the facilities but we only put my name down not knowing this fact).

When I really look at myself or pictures of me I am bigger than I 'feel' in my head. It's not that I don't think I am overweight, but I think I try to deny how awful I look and when I see the pictures there is no denying it. Maybe I should keep a picture around as motivation. It just gets depressing though. mette - In what ways does your size still surprise you? Is it when you look at yourself, move around, put on smaller clothes, etc. ? Renee - any luck on getting new pictures taken?
Old 01-11-2005, 05:44 AM   #8  
maintaining

Hi guys!

Ang, my exercise program looks like this:

Day 1:
Squats (squat rack + barbell): 8 reps x 3 series (I start with one warm-up series – using just the barbell before I start on the exercise)
Leg curls (machine): 8x3
Leg extensions (machine): 8x3
Shoulder press (dumbbells): 10x3
Sit-ups

Day 2:
Bench press (bench + barbell): 8x3
Lat pull downs (machine): 8x3
Pulley (machine): 10x3
Tricep extensions (barbell): 8x3 (like this: http://www.fitsite.com/index.cfm?Con...0870&do=detail – except I lie down on the bench)
Biceps curls (dumbbells): 7x3

Day 3:
Lounges (with dumbbells): 10x3 (http://www.fitsite.com/index.cfm?Con...0897&do=detail)
Upper back (machine): 8x3
Ab crunches (machine): 10x3
Lower back Hyperextensions (bench): 14+ x3 (I do as many as I can, 3 series) (http://www.fitsite.com/index.cfm?Con...0836&do=detail)
Side Raises (using the same bench as on the hyperextensions): 12+ x3 (same here: I do as many as I can – the bench I use is a little different; I can lie on the side and raise up using my side-muscles (or obliques! )

I’m going to change the program again in February (after 3 months). This time I want to include deadlifts, try to do lounges with a barbell – and also biceps curls using the barbell instead of dumbbells. Plus exercises the instructor suggests.
Hope you get to take the bf with you!

I’m off to do nothing – possibly nap a little under my blanket! And maybe do some reading later… Have a nice day everybody!
Old 01-11-2005, 11:13 AM   #9  

Hey gals.
Well yesterday flopped. My lunch started off bad and got worse! I ran out to get some Taco Bell, which is horrid in fat, but has less 'evil carbs'. On the way back to work, pulling down my street, I pick up a bolt and my tire starts going flat. I drop my food on my desk and head back out to get the tire patched, knowing full well that cold Taco Bell, is death incarnate. So on the way back the second time, already having used up my whole lunch hour, I pick up McDonalds. Bleh!!

I really really need to focus on not giving in to these poor choices, but there is SO little choice around here for lunches, and I can't do sammiches every day.

Groan, work just got busy, I'll be back....
Old 01-11-2005, 11:47 AM   #10  
maintaining

Renee: hope you have a better food day today!!!

I’m starting my hospital practice next week, and I have the same problem: I have to start bringing my own lunches, and I don’t want to bring cheese sandwiches 4 days of the week for 16 weeks!
Maybe we should start figuring out how to make easy and tasty lunches? Make a collection of things we can bring for lunch?
Ang, what do you do for lunch? Do you bring it with you from home?

My day? Blanket and reruns of Gilmore Girls season 1 - and I don't even like that show!
Old 01-11-2005, 02:09 PM   #11  
Persistent and Stubborn

Default Woo hoo - it's Tuesday!

Thanks mette for posting your routines. It will help me devise a plan. I am all about plans and concrete goals. I plan to start next Monday (after my friend leaves). I'll let you know what happens.

Renee - how is your day going today? I hope everything went ok with getting your car fixed.

mette - you have the life. The first season wasn't the best of that show though. Do you tape this stuff? Enjoy the relaxation.

I think it is a GREAT idea for us to get a 'database' of lunch ideas together. I get really bored fast so I always need to rotate through things. There is nothing but a wrap place near me at work (and that's a 5 minute drive). I see a lot of people bring in leftovers. Is your sister still doing the cooking, Renee? Can she make a little extra that you can put aside for lunch the next day (maybe once or twice a week at least so you don't get so bored of sandwiches)?

I brought salad again today but need a break after two days. I also always have a piece of fruit of some kind.

Ideas

Salad: greens, crumbled cheese, dried cranberries, walnuts or almond pieces, vinegrette dressing, pieces of chicken or turkey or tofu if need protein

Sandwiches of course: turkey or chicken breast with cheese

Frozen dinners - probably not the best but I try to choose wisely. There are some decent veggie ones too

Roasted butternut squash is good too. You can do a whole half of one.

I am looking to make a taco salad one night and will then bring some for lunch. I also have a decent spicy black beans and rice dish that I am going to make and bring for lunch.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:11 AM   #12  
maintaining

Ang, liked your heading yesterday – it sort of made me wonder: is she faking it or making it today???

And I don’t tape GG – I just seem to watch it these days... Hopefully it’s because I’m bored out of my wits!
(I’m more of a CSI/Sopranos/Six Feet Under/X-files watcher, normally!) (Oh! And Arrested Development! And Angel! And Buffy! And…. yeah, well…. heh)
I watched some episodes at the end of last season when Rory and Dean got together again – and watching the start of the first season now is very different! I mean, they just had their first kiss! (Which means that I got to the sleeping together part before I got to the kissing part!). Anyway…

Great ideas about lunches, Ang!
I figure I can bring sandwiches two days per week, and it would be very good to bring something else for the other two.
To me, salad is also a good idea – with some protein like beans, eggs, cheese. Oh, and nuts! Good idea! And maybe I’ll finally try to make tofu!
I also need to bring a couple of snacks I suppose: fruit and bars perhaps? Do you bring other snacks than fruit, Ang? Renee?

And this “decent spicy black beans and rice dish” of yours – is it complicated to make? Wanna share the recipe?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:11 AM   #13  
Persistent and Stubborn

I think I was making it yesterday pretty well. Today I just wish the weather was better. I am taking the afternoon off to take the train into Boston to meet a friend visiting from VA. It should be good to see her but the snow/rain/ice makes the getting there and back a little annoying.

mette - it sounds like you watch your fair share of t.v. I also like CSI, Without a Trace, Angel, and other crime/adventure stuff. I don't have HBO so I can't watch any of their shows. Are they really good?

Snacks are definitely a good idea. I bring string cheese or light laughing cow cheese (can spread this on celery for some added crunch). I also like peanutbutter (by itself or on some apple or crackers or celery). I also usually keep a container of nuts in my office (peanuts usually) so I can grab a handful if I need a small snack.

Tofu is REALLY easy. I like to keep it small though because it doesn't have a lot of taste so I like a lot of surface area to soak up any dressing/marinade or just to limit the size in my mouth at once.

I'll post the recipe for the black beans and rice as soon as I am home with a chance. It uses canned beans and stewed tomatoes I think - easy - put over rice. I need to pull out my recipe books anyway. I have some fast ones and some veggie ones and some fast veggie ones. I'll see what there is that I have forgotten about - one more step towards one of my goals.

I better get some work done since I have to leave early today. Enjoy your days. I'll be back tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #14  

This week has been a not so hot week for me and I am getting angry at myself. I am not 'totally' blowing it, but the scales tipped up 4lb and hovered there. It could also be the few days of poor decisions on top of 'that time of the month' - but it's bugging me.

I am going out to dinner tonight. Red Lobster. I think I am going to not go hog wild, but nor am I going to make myself miserable. I am dining with a friend I haven't been out with in a while and want to enjoy it.

Then tomorrow, it's back to the core. I bet I could get away with my current eating habits, if I actually did the work out thing. I think I -might- try going to the gym tomorrow morning. We'll see.

I'll chat it up tomorrow. Work is still going nuts today! o.O
Old 01-13-2005, 11:39 AM   #15  
Persistent and Stubborn

Renee - I'm sorry you are having a tough week. I'm sure that time of the month is not having a good effect on the scale but you know best if you have been making good food choices. I sympathize with your situation tonight. I went out with a friend last night and wasn't going to make myself crazy about the food choices. I did end up having a Thai Steak Salad which might not have been too bad for me, but the cannolli for dessert was definitely a no-no and it didn't even taste good. I bet Red Lobster has some decent (and good tasting) choices for you.

Don't give up - we'll keep plugging away at it together. I hope you make it to the gym. How is your sister with motivation? Does she have similar problems or can she help motivate you?

Good luck with work. mette - how is your day going?

Lunch today for me is a tangerine, stuffed chicken breast and some pasta salad. I don't think this is my healthiest lunch but then dinner can be lighter - maybe salad so I can get some greens in for the day. Does anyone else have more lunch suggestions?