Old 01-09-2005, 12:32 PM   #1  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Sanctuary-- New Thread! Anyone Welcome :)

A few friends and I were talking about what we really want in a weight loss support group, and we came up with some very specific ideas. They all boiled down to one concept; we are looking for a sanctuary.

Sanctuary means different things to different people. Sanctuary is a place of peace, rest, safety, and rejuvenation. It keeps our spirit and our sanity intact.

Many of us who have a long journey down the weight loss path find ourselves in need of a break. Sometimes our bodies crave it, and sometimes the choice isn’t ours, but circumstance forces it upon us. Other times, we need the clamoring throng to cheer us along our way as we breeze past milestones and overcome obstacles.

Sanctuary can be all that as well. It is what you need and when you need it. Sanctuary can be found in good friends who aren’t afraid of your truths and in an open, honest atmosphere.

Sanctuary isn’t judgmental, neither does it discriminate or ask to be censured. It is open to anyone with a desire to share, and especially those in need of and willing to offer support.

Andria
qsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #2  
a work in progress...

Thumbs up Good show!

Sounds like a lovely place to me! I'm here! I look forward to spending a lot of time here, thanks for starting this up, Andria!

We can always use a little sanctuary in our lives. Sometimes we have to create our own out of very little, but it can be done. It's called 'finding your happy place.' Think of something that makes you smile, feel peaceful or loved. Create an imaginary place or conjure up a happy memory and really focus on everything in it. Shut out the clamoring world and just give yourself over to this happy spot for a few minutes. Take a few deep breaths. Smile. Then come back to the real world feeling refreshed.

And then come post here and tell us all about it!

Or, tell us about your weight loss adventures. Or whatever you feel like talking about! Looking forward to meeting some friendly folk!

A little about myself. I'm a 47yo, married mother of two, working the night shift at a local hospital. I have, as my ticker thing shows, roughly 119 lbs to lose. *groan* I mean...that I INTEND TO LOSE this year! This will be the year for me. No more wishy washy, half a$$ed dieting...this is it!

That's it for now. Thanks again, Andria!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #3  

Smile Looking forward to meeting some friendly folk!

Kat: I hope I qualify.

I don't have much time to post but saw the intriguing thread name and had to pop in. I am having family over to cheer on the VIKINGS !!!

Dang there are here already - I shall return.

Thanks, Andria.
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #4  
Losing To Win

Default Sanctuary is a Great Idea

Just the name "sanctuary" has a peaceful ring to it, and I think in this weight loss journey it is exactly what is needed. I hope to get lots of inspiration from these forums and make new friends as well. Best to everyone in 2005!
kiteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:40 PM   #5  

Hi there to Kat, Lucky and Kiteen

Kiteen, I see you are brand new here on 3FC. This site is full of great info and lots of supportive people.

Guess I'd better do a bit of an introduction myself. I'm a 38 y/o mom of two girls with a significant other who also posts on 3FC. My high weight was 338 lbs., but I signed a contract with myself this last year and kept to losing approximately a pound a week. Some weeks were more, some were less, but the overall effect was 52 lbs. off! Yes, I'm tooting my own horn. Now, as you might notice from my weight ticker, I still have a decent ways to go. I'm shooting for 52 lbs. again this year. I'll accept anything over that, of course.

I work the night shift and I'm supposed to be sleeping right now. Guess I'd better get to that, because without sleep, I end up feeling like I should be diving into a vat of chocolate.

Do we want to talk about what food and exercise plans we are on, that sort of thing? I figured we would make this up as we go.

Andria

Last edited by qsilver; 01-09-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:26 PM   #6  

Smile Vikings Won

GREAT News!!!! Bad news - we play the Eagles next weekend. I guess there won't be anymore football talk here, right Kat?

Kiteen.

I am temporarily single, 53, live on a farm with my cat Dusty and will be working hard on losing weight following Dr. Phil's 7 Steps.

Andria, my plan is to post my weight LOSS and minutes exercised for the week as of each Thursday. I have found this helps me, knowing I am being accountable (even if you don't read it!! ) One of my goals is to also be able to do those dang pilates. So far I haven't been very successful

I will have my goals determined by this Thursday - the beginning of this year has been sad and exhausting so I am behind on my planning.

I have to get over that "everything has to be perfect" mentality before I do things for myself.

A Sanctuary will help!

Well, it's almost time for Desperate Housewives so I am ending this for now.

Last edited by LuckyLadyBug; 01-09-2005 at 08:30 PM.
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:58 AM   #7  
a work in progress...

Good Morning, chickies...Welcome, Kiteen!

I'm heading for bed after a l o n g night at work. The work itself itsn't bad...I'd rather be busy all night long than sit around, doing nothing, complaining about how busy I am. Like half the people I work with do. The exhausting part is dealing with a grown woman, who has taken it upon herself to trash me at every given opportunity. Generally, I let actions speak louder than words, most people there know me and what I'm like, and I always thought it was quite obvious what kind of person she is....most people know that she is a nasty, vengeful gossip.

So, why does it bother me so much? And it really bothers me that it does bother me!

Dh says I should confront her, but I don't want to give her the satisfaction of knowing that she got to me. And when you come right down to it...what do you say, anyway? "Stop talking about me! Wah!" Sounds so childish, and the situation is, which is another reason I hesitate to do anything. Don't want to stoop to her level.

So I just keep plugging along, but it makes for a l o n g night, like I said.

I think I'm PMSing too! which is NOT helping!

So, I came here, to unload my woes, and then I'll hop into bed...thinking nothing but good thoughts as I go to sleep. I intend to wake up happier than I feel right now.

Then I'll be ready to talk weight loss and football and such.
Eagles v. Vikings, you say, Miss Lucky? Okay, I guess I'll have to watch this game! For you. And Thong Boy.

Last edited by katrinabgood; 01-10-2005 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:19 AM   #8  
Tilting at windmills

Hello girls

Sorry I didn't post earlier, but my internet went down last night (stupid Cox Internet).

Kiteen: Hello, welcome to the thread

Lucky: I hear you on the slow start to this year. I think my year actually started today; the last 10 days has been sort of a weird haze (which is somewhat troublesome, because classes started last Monday *laugh*). I did go work out on Saturday, and will do so again today, starting my daily routine.

Kat: We all know there are always people like that in the world; usually, I try to just not associate with them, but in your case, that isn't an option, is it Personally, I would start logging incidents, then present them with a formal complaint of unprofessional behavior. That probably will have the most effect, without alerting her to your plans prematurely.

My weight _finally_ started creeping down again Saturday; I put on like 10 pounds over the last couple of weeks, from the extended vacation time. Ah well; I'll still below my original goal weight, that counts for something, right?

Have a great day
fierum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:13 PM   #9  

Hey everyone

I finally made it back online! We have satellite internet, which is wonderful if you are out in the boonies and can't get anything else, but has the down side of not working well or at all during bad weather. Well, we've had enough rain in this part of the state to begin talk of building arks! Seriously, there is flooding all over. At work last night you could here the creek behind us growing all night long. By morning it looked like a scary river and was about to spill over. Bridges are out all over the place and there are entire communities without any access. Since the rain is still falling, we will have to wait and see how this all turns out. For now, I'll be grateful for high ground here at home and a chance to get onto my 3FC.

Have to share something funny I realized last night. I can hardly wait for my next Weigh In! You know when you can just feel a good one coming? I've been working my food plan, plus I've been exercising pretty steadily. This just feels like it is going to be a good week!

My food plan is from a place called Decision Weight Loss. I heard about them on the radio and dropped in. Their plan made sense to me because it was based on balance, something which I've been striving to reach in my life. I'm supposed to eat 6 times a day, with the meals made up of a grand total of 4 proteins, 4 veggies, 4 fruits (nothing canned except pineapple and nothing dried), 4 starches, 3 dairy, 3 fats, 2 supplements and 4 extras. Yes, that is a lot of food. I lose better when I actually eat it all. How weird is that?!

I've got to run, be back as soon as I can!

Andria
Old 01-10-2005, 11:01 PM   #10  
BELIEVE!

Hi Everyone!
I thought I'd pop in here to the Sanctuary! I love it!! I have been doing my best to fill my life with peaceful and positive thoughts recently and this may be just what I need. I look forward to hanging out with all of you!

A quickie about me....I am 34, live in the burbs of Philadelphia. I've been married to my DH for 10 years. I've been overweight as long as I can ever remember. There are some significant milestones that stick out.....
Beginning of Freshman year of college: 241
Mid-Fresh yr of college in 1988: 211 (my lowest adult weight after some time with Nutri-System - ick!)
College Grad in 1992: 268
Marriage in 1994: 250
Beginning 2003: 328
End 2003: 288
Now: Right at/around 300
Sorry - just got sidetracked a bit thinking of that. It's funny how certain things just stick out.

I lost nearly 50 pounds at one point in 2003 with diet and exercise - what a novel idea! Then when my husband and I found ourselves in the dreaded world of infertility and hormonal drugs I put some back on. Now I am just fighting to keep my head above water and juggle diet, exercise, emotions, treatments....

It is great to have wonderful internet buddies to laugh, cry, celebrate and hang out with.

Wow, I just realized I am rambling a bit. Please don't think I am too nuts! Have a great night and I'll talk to you soon!

Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #11  
Losing To Win

Wink Good Evening All!

I hope everyone here had a lovely day and felt good about their eating habits and exercise this day! Today was my first full day of NS foods, and I must say, I did not feel hungry at all! I felt like I had plenty to eat and enjoyed the flavor of my food as well. I am sorry to hear about the bad weather up north, we here in Florida are warm and dry right now. Is there anyone else here who is on Nutri-System? I am also interested in knowing what any of you have done or will be doing to take care of the skin while losing weight. I am over 40 and I worry about sagging skin and extra flesh etc. Anyone else in the same boat?

Warmest wishes to all!
Kiteen
kiteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:42 AM   #12  
a work in progress...

Default Do you see the time?

I was off last night...went to bed around 10:30, but had already slept a few hours in the afternoon...so now I am W I D E A W A K E! I did toss and turn for a while thinking, I'll just wait til dh gets up (5:30ish)...tossed some more and got up, thinking, I'll get his coffee ready! Then I saw what time it really was...He won't be wanting that for another TWO HOURS!

So. I think I'm up for the day. I've already put the dishes away and tidied up the kitchen. I'm having an orange and a cup of tea. I tried to weigh myself but my scale is telling me 'LO,' time for a new battery.
WHEW! A reprieve! Oh, I'll go get one today, it won't be for long! I'm thinking about getting over to the gym when they open up at 5:30. Hey! It's possible!

Hi BARB!!! I'm so glad to see you! I can relate to you about the milestones....

High school, 1975...149...I thought I was fat. I wasn't, but I had grown up chubby, heard about it all my life from my brothers, and so it stuck.
Marriage, 1983...169...I thought I was fat (of course) but one of my bridesmaids weighed exactly 100 lbs more that I did...so I thought she was HUGE! heh...Karma's a *****!
Pregnancy, 1985...199... The first day I stepped on the scale in the obstetrician's office, was the last day I weighed in the 100s, TO THIS DAY!
Four years after first child born...1990...I'm not sure of the number, but I had dieted vigorously, and lost around 40 lbs. I guess I looked so good, I found myself pregnant with child #2. Again with the Karma!
1998...274... highest weight ever...started Weight Watchers, lost 40 lbs...and have managed to slowly put every last lb back on over the past 6 years.
Present...269...

Gee, that was fun.

So, now what? Well, I intend to lose every last pound I gained and then some. I know the place to start is in my head. I have to drive out the notion that I am a FAT person and will always be a fat person. I am a person. That's all. I have the desire, and the capabilities to succeed. I know everything there is to know about dieting, having been a life long dieter. I need to JUST DO IT. And I will. Just watch me!

How? I tend to stick with Weight Watcher's Point System, since I know that best. I try to stay on the low-ish carb side and drink a ton of water. I think the number one way to lose weight and keep it off it REGULAR EXERCISE. I'm trying to make that a daily priority in my life.

You asked about saggy, loose skin as you lose weight, Kiteen...I believe that regular exercise will take care of that. I just read an article at the WW site, about a woman who lost 200 lbs. She looks fabulous and attributes her tight skin to regular exercise............

So. What am I waiting for? Oh, that's right the gym's not open yet.

Sorry this is so long winded...at 4am, no one is clamoring for my attention or the computer!

Andria...Try to stay dry there, kiddo! Decisions sounds interesting...lots to eat there! If you don't mind my asking, how do you break down your meals? Show me a typical day's menu. Yes. I'm nosy.

Tony!
Quote:
We all know there are always people like that in the world;
And how! I felt like I was living in parallel universes there for a while! Thanks for the advice. I'm reading a book called The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. It's described as a "practical guide to personal freedom." I've only covered the first two agreements so far, but let me tell you, they are so simple, and make so much sense!
1. Be Impeccable With Your Word.
2. Don't Take Anything Personally.
3. Don't Make Assumptions.
4. Always Do your Best.

I'm finding that by following these as best I can (I need practice...and patience!) I can usuallyoverlook her shenanigans! I'm getting there!

Lucky...where are you, my friend?

Well, I've killed an hour here, I'm going to get my gym clothes on, make some coffee and maybe make a shopping list and not squander this peaceful time that I have all to myself!

Have a great day all...See you later!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 01-11-2005 at 04:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:55 AM   #13  

Good morning

Ok, I can see I'm not the only one out there who woke up super early this morning. I've been up since about 4:30 and wondering what in heaven's name is wrong with me?! I had to laugh at Kat's post. I thought about getting up and making breaky for everyone and then realized there wasn't any reason to since they wouldn't be eating it for hours yet. I was about to make a cup of tea, and there is an orange sitting on the counter... Kat, just sounds like a good idea.

Milestones, hmmm... Yes, I've played this game in my head plenty of times. Can't hurt to get them out here so they don't take up so much space!

160--1983, just before starting senior year of high school. Drama coach tells me I'm too fat to be given a leading role. First time I remember light switch clicking on in my head. I stopped eating, began to exercise at an extreme level, and lost 30 lbs. in three weeks. Played Rosie in Bye Bye Birdie.

1988-- Can't remember the starting weight, how odd, but remember I lost 60 lbs. on the lowest carb diet you can imagine. This thing made Atkins look carb heavy! Actually called the plan Love a Loser. Mostly I remember getting down to a size 12 and all sorts of guys hitting on me. I got sick from the strict diet and scared from all the guy attention and gave it up! Gained back the 60 in no time flat, think it was less than 6 months.

180-220-270something--1990, Pregnant with first child and the weight is piling on fast! Went from 180-220 in 3 months. Was working full-time as a waitress and taking pregger aerobics classes, but the gallon or more a day of full fat milk and all those turkey hot dogs I was craving really did me in?

260s--1991, I'm determined to lose this weight and throw myself at a gym 6-7 days a week and a stupid diet program that leaves me eating 600-900 calories a day for about 6 months. I honestly stuck to it, but my bod must have been shutting down by then. By all rights, I should have been lots smaller in that amount of time.

280s-- 1995, Lost 40 lbs. with diet pills and 60 minutes, 5 days a week of aerobic water walking. I still love the water walking, but the pills made me forgetful and angry all the time. Upside of this one, I got pregnant with our second child!

Hrm, going to post this and return in a bit. My eldest (14 y/o) woke up early and isn't feeling well. I do want to finish writing out this timeline. It is being an eye opener for me.

Andria
Old 01-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #14  

Hey everyone

Ok, I am massively frustrated! I got back online and had just about finished a huge long post, finished up my timeline/milestones and had replies to everyone, and the power went out! AAAaaaAaAAaarrrrGGGGGhhhHHhhhhh!!!
That will have to do for a primal scream.

I'm going to hit post now so you know what is going on, and then I'll work on redoing the other. There are going to be lots and lots of saves involved here, be warned!

Andria
Old 01-11-2005, 03:06 PM   #15  
a work in progress...

It IS cathartic and eye opening, isn't it? Timelines, I mean...I highly recommend it!

Tony...I just have to say "Bravo" to you! And I think you know why. My First Agreement (Be Impeccable With Your Word) prevents me from going any further...as much as I'd LOVE to!!!

I have to report that I have had a very productive day, exercise-wise. I did go to the gym, but not at 5:30! Nay, I took a 9am "Gentle Aerobics" class. I thought that I should take it easy, as my knee has really been giving me some trouble. It was gentle, but that's not to say that it wasn't a great workout. Constant motion for about 40 minutes, finished up with some exercises using the big *** ball! Fun! I had walked for about 15 minutes on the treadmill before class started, then used the series of upper body machines. Food has been great...I even went to lunch at TGIFridays with my sis and remained quite OP. Traded my mashed potatoes for an extra serving of veggies, skipped the breadstick and croutons with the salad, and had Grilled Salmon with Jack Daniel's sauce. I still have to calculate my points, but I know I'm well within range. It feels good to be in control.

Okay...I'm outta here. See y'all later!