South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 11:22 AM   #1  

Default Hubby and I started SBD 1/5

So we're on our third day. We both have about 20 pounds to lose, and we wanted something that would 1) work, 2) not require us to put our lives on hold in order to figure out what to eat. We tried Atkins previously and it failed on the third day when we were both hungry, tired, and so sick of meat, eggs and cheese that we almost got in a fight over a tomato.

We were initially going to follow the SBD Phase 1 meal plan exactly, but when I looked at it, it was waaay too much work to really fit with our lifestyles, plus it was going to be incredibly expensive. So instead, we printed out the Phase 1 list of "approved" food and went to the grocery store and bought a bunch of it. I only use THAT food when I make meals now.

We also follow the few guidelines that SBD seems to have - namely, limiting the sweets to 75 cals/day, and limiting nuts to a few a day. Other than that, everything else is unlimited, right?

Someone PLEASE tell me this diet will work. It's so easy I keep thinking I'm doing it wrong! I'm not hungry, and I can make what I consider more or less "normal" meals. We snack on low-fat cheese (is it REALLY unlimited as long as it's less than 6 grams of fat per serving?) and veggies (Tomatos! Yes!) and deli meat and smoked salmon. Breakfast yesterday was omelettes with 2% American Slices and ham, tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers - cooked in olive oil, of course.

I'm eating so well that I can't quite believe I'm going to lose weight. The only way I've ever lost weight previously was on a low fat diet, and it worked, but I remember it being complicated (measuring everything out, counting calories) and I was starving all the time. Someone tell me this will work! I can't quite believe I can lose weight this painlessly!
Old 01-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #2  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

Hello and welcome I too am in ph.1, it does seem to easy to work. I officially weigh in tomorrow, but, so far have lost about 5 pounds. You need to drink your water, that is something I am working on. I had the urge to eat last night, but, just snacked on my nuts. I went over, but it's better than eating candy that is in the freezer. Cravings are pretty much gone. I am craving red meat. I have eating lots of eggs and cheese, and ham. Beans are a great filler for me. Try to get some exercise in also. At least with you DH on it too makes life easier. Mine is supportive but, then it's here we go again. This time it feels more for me, that other attempts.
Again welcome, hope to see you around.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:33 AM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Abadoozy, yes, it really does work! However, nothing is really unlimited...you do want to limit your portion sizes, but you also don't want to be hungry. If you've had problems with emotional eating before, you may want to be more careful in planning your meals. If you are still really hungry after eating, have some more veggies.

Some of the lists say 2 servings of dairy a day, but I have always ignored that...considering the research saying three servings of milk or yogurt reduce belly fat, I figured I should be getting at least that much! So I have those three servings (two 6 oz glasses of milk, one cup of FF plain yogurt) along with cheese at least twice a day plus a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese for breakfast three times a week. I had trouble with losing too fast in the beginning, so I really think that was okay.

If you have issues with controlling portion sizes, try getting string cheese (cheese sticks), which are already packaged. It does keep the endless muching at bay, I think.

But, in general, you can do exactly what you are doing now! Just follow the lists, be creative, and enjoy! Make sure you are getting some good carbs in Phase 1 by eating your veggies (sounds like you are) and including beans, daily. Also, check the updated lists in the FAQ forum...Dr. A updates the lists as research reveals new findings.

Welcome to the beach...sounds like you're going to love it here!
Old 01-07-2005, 11:53 AM   #4  

Welcome to the Beach! This really is a great way to eat. It has certainly worked for me. Laurie has given some great advice. There is a daily thread that all of us post on and there is a Phase 1 thread that many who have started recently are posting on.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:55 AM   #5  

Well, it SAYS some things are unlimited.

That said, I don't think we're pigging out. I guess I feel that as long as I'm getting hungry once or twice a day, I'm eating correct portion sizes. I know only too well what it's like to be eating such large portions that I *never* feel hungry. Both hubby and I have commented that after a SBD meal, we both feel comfortably "full" but not "stuffed." We both like feeling energetic after a meal, and I know our previous eating styles didn't always do that.

Plus, just giving up alcohol is going to drop our food consumption by a fair bit. It's very easy for us to share a bottle of wine with dinner every night, and sometimes more than that. I figured that previously I was adding anywhere from 200 to 700 calories a day on average from alcohol. Even light beer has 100 calories or so in it, and so little alcohol that it was easy to drink 2-4 of them in a night.

Does cheese count as a dairy? The menu I have says "1-2 cups of dairy/day, including yogurt and skim or 1% milk." It doesn't seem to include eggs or cheese as dairy items. I ask because low-fat cheese is a definite snack item for us, plus it's good in meals. String cheese, laughing cow on celery, or just a bite of low-fat swiss has been good snacks for us.

We've not included beans daily. Maybe I'll look into that. Hubby is a big bean lover. I know pintos aren't on Phase 1, though, and those are his favorites. Maybe he'll like black beans, we'll have to try.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:01 PM   #6  

If you check on the updated Phase 1 food list http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49548 you will see that pinto beans have now been added to the phase 1 food list.

Cheese should be separate from the dairy amount. It sounds like you are doing great!
Old 01-07-2005, 12:08 PM   #7  

The cheese isn't listed as dairy. I'm currently on the 6th day and I think it's pretty easy to manage. I'm a college student and I live by myself. Often I'll plan ahead, cook a meal, and eat the leftovers later. I did have to go buy some more Tupperware, but it makes the plan easier to stick to for me. It's also hard trying to recondition yourself after all those other diets. It still is hard for me to think that I'm losing weight, and getting to eat meat and cheese. (and veggies too) But I am!

You don't know how many times on other diets I sat at night hungry because I had already had too many calories, fat grams, points, etc. It was torture sometimes. I was surprised that this diet wasn't torture. I'm liking it so far, and I'm even liking the food.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesequeen
You don't know how many times on other diets I sat at night hungry because I had already had too many calories, fat grams, points, etc. It was torture sometimes. I was surprised that this diet wasn't torture. I'm liking it so far, and I'm even liking the food.
Been there, done that.

I remember I was on eDiet's low-fat diet when hubby and I were dating. If I was used to, say, dinner at 6, and for whatever reason it got delayed I'd be so hungry that I literally couldn't think straight. I'd be almost shaking with hunger, and I'd just tell myself to get used to it. It worked for about 2 months, but I've not been able to convince myself to go back on that kind of diet ever since.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:37 PM   #9  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

You talked about DH liking beans. I made a 15 bean soup. It comes in a package (in the isle with the rice) you just add a can of tomatoes and we added a ham bone for more flavor. I think it had one kind of bean that's not on the list. It's good and cheap and easy. I put mine in the crookpot for the day.
Something for you to check out.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #10  

Welcome Abadoozy!!

My husband, brother and I are all doing SB together as well. We started on January 1. I love this plan!

It sounds like you are off to a great start! One thing that I did was sit down with the guys and discuss our meal plan for the first two weeks together. We all picked recipies that we wanted to try and then I made a grocery list from that plan. That way no one can complain about the food choices. I didn't want it to come down to me "doing this to them"!

I look forward to getting to know you via posts. Take care!

Nally
Old 01-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #11  
Conquering with SBD

Well, the proof is in the pudding....I have lost all my weight on this diet and don't really even realize that I am dieting. I still can't believe how easy it was to get back to my goal weight as compared to weight watchers a few years ago.

For the 'unlimited' amounts of food, use your own common sense. Monitor your weight and become familiar with how you feel when you are full. The whole point of this is the manage to keep your blood sugar level stable, to never be hungry and to replace foods that typically cause weight gain with alternatives.

You sound like you have it well under hand and, in my opinion, that is the hardest obstacle to this WOE.

Good luck.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:33 PM   #12  

Wow, sweet tooth, good going! Can I ask how tall you are?

I'm at about 175 at the moment (which is also my highest weight ever ), and about the lowest I ever would want to be is around 145. If I get to 155 (my previous low weight after eDiets, and one I maintained for a couple years) I'm pretty happy. I'm 5'6", and that puts me in size 10 jeans, which isn't exactly a stick but is far from fat, too.

145 is what I weighed during college, and for me, that looks pretty damn skinny. Any lower and I would lose boobs and hips, which husband has told me I'm not allowed to do. Hubby actually likes me the way I am now - I'm doing the diet because _I_ don't like me this way.
Closed Thread