Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-03-2005, 05:48 PM   #1  
Princess Nothing

S/C/G: 315/245/180

Height: 5' 6"

Default Running

ive never been a runner...in high school, when i was actually in shape, i told my PE teacher to shove it cuz i wasnt running ....he didnt like me much...lol. anyways, i literally have not run since i was a kid for anything. i weigh 225, and dont know what i should watch out for, how i should start out, etc. any suggestions?
anaethema_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:52 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I'd suggest you start by walking rather than running. Work up to a run. Try short runs, alternating walking/running. Don't run so much that you're so breathless you can't talk. You want to work up a sweat, but still be able to have a conversation.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:30 AM   #3  
singletrack chick

good advice from heaven. there is a runners thread somewhere around here. when you start keep us updated on your progress.

running is slow going, you must be patient to get to the point where it is enjoyable.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:42 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

I started at 200 lbs and had a reasonable fitness base from walking and step aerobics. When I started running I could manage about 30 seconds of running at a time. Walked until my heart rate got back down, and did it again. Over a couple of months I worked my way up, adding a little more time and a little more distance, with a little less walking in between, and then one day I did a whole mile at a time. It was wonderful, such an accomplishment!

Go slowly to help avoid injury and keep it fun! Like Laura said, it takes some time.

Other than that, best advice I can give is make sure you get a decent pair of running shoes, and a really good sports bra.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:10 AM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

Amen on the running shoes Anne. I went through three pair till I found some that work. Otherwise, you'll be nursing corns and blisters and running will begin to look like a bad idea. You may have to shell out a bit for a decent pair. I thought the general $30 shoes would get it, then I went to $60. I had to spend over $100 to find the right ones, but I've been running in them now for a year and never have any trouble with my feet.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:51 AM   #6  
singletrack chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven
Amen on the running shoes Anne. I went through three pair till I found some that work. Otherwise, you'll be nursing corns and blisters and running will begin to look like a bad idea. You may have to shell out a bit for a decent pair. I thought the general $30 shoes would get it, then I went to $60. I had to spend over $100 to find the right ones, but I've been running in them now for a year and never have any trouble with my feet.

i had been buying the on sale lower quallity new balance for my runnning but was suffering hip and knee pain. found out it was because when i get tired i start to really over pronate. i dropped 120 bucks on a pair of stabilizing new balance and my running has improved by leaps and bounds. no more knee and hip pain. i can run farther without tiring. i hate to spend that much money on shoes ( i've been dying for a new pair of boots but am to cheap to splurge, give me warm weather and 2 dollar flipflops ) but i made up my mind a long time ago that if it was health and fitness related i would let myself splurge. in my opinion, there is little better to motivate you to get up and run than a really expensive pair of running shoes staring you in the face saying, "you better get your moneys worth out of me".

a good sprts bra is key as well. i usually double up on them because the added support makes running so much easier.

something else that noone has mentioned and i will is, make sure you are hydrated. drink water the night before. drink the morning of your run. drink all day long. running is so much easier when you are hydrated properly. it helps fend off cramps and side stiches. i can tell when i haven't hydrated properly and i'm running. i'm feel groggy and my feet feel really heavy.

sorry for the ramble. good luck.
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #7  

Hi,

First of all - good thing you think about starting running. I remember when I was having excess weight, running for me was totally out of question - I am asthmatic and I could not run, period. It took me a year to be able to fast walk 6 km, and a year in the gym to be able to fast walk those 6km without inhaler (if weather permits). I joined running team at work and I am now able to run/walk for about 8 km (good weather) or 5km (bad weather). While I totally understand that running longer distances is out of question for me, I still plan to train for 13 km run this coming november.

Running is possible - buy good runners, if you have pain in your feet, invest in orthotics, have always water handy. You will be amazed how many people run... And also, in running, if you stick to it, you will see progress - just be prepared that it will not be fast progress, but slow.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:13 PM   #8  

Default on buying running shoes

Hello,

So much good tips that I wanted to add something as well....I also started walking first and now I run ...I went to a shoe store for running shoes where they use a camera to tape you on the treadmill.....then you see the video and he tells you if you pronate which will determine what shoes you guy. They recommended some shoes for me and then I got on the treadmill again and they taped me again and I saw the difference. They also offer a gaureentte that you will like the shoes.....The best thing is that i could have walked out of there and not bought a thing....there are places like that in most cities.....or there are running clubs that may help you pick out shoes.....remember not all shoes even the $100 are built the same
storm_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

Laura, I tried the New Balance too and ended up with a pair of extra wide width Sauconys with a heel stabilizer. They've been great.

Another suggestion I thought about was don't neglect to treat the socks like you do the shoes. You can do like I did and pick up a pair of Hanes Sports at Wal*Mart and have the moisture just soak the sock and irritate your feets, causing corns and blisters as well, or you can buy a pair of the the Thorlos (sp?) I later picked up when I bought my running shoes, which help to wisk the moisture away. If one spends that much on shoes, it makes no sense to downspend on the socks.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:30 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura_on_a_bike
i can tell when i haven't hydrated properly and i'm running. i'm feel groggy and my feet feel really heavy.
THAT's exactly what my problem was yesterday... THANK YOU for the reminder... I've also been tired lately, maybe it's the WATER!!

All are great suggestions.... When I started running I would run for a minute walk for a minute and gradually increase the running and decrease the walking...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote