South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 01:08 AM   #1  

Default Soy Milk

I have a question about soy milk. The phase 1 allowed foods says you can have soy milk under 4g of fat per 8oz with no high fructose corn syrup. I have 8th continent vanilla (it said vanilla is allowed), and it says that it has 4 grams of sugar. Sugar is one of the ingredients.

I was looking on websites and I noticed that Silk soy, which has 3.5 grams of fat (vs 1 with 8th cont) does not contain sugar but has evaporated cane juice, which I think I read is basically sugar. Silk has 7g of sugars.

I know we are supposed to watch sugars so I was a little concerned about this.

Thanks.
Bella
Old 01-05-2005, 09:52 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry but soy milk is unknown territory for me. I certainly agree that cane juice IS sugar and should be avoided.
Perhaps someone else who drinks the stuff can answer this one.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:14 AM   #3  

I can't find soy milk that doesn't have either sugar or can juice in it.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I was looking around also. I could find regular plain soy milk from the asian market. Occasionally I buy it and then add some vanilla and splenda or some of flavored sugar free syrup and mix it up.

Doesn't taste too bad. If you get it from the Asian market you tend to get the milk with out the extra thickeners and preservatives. It doens't last as long in the fridge as the stuff in the cartons. You have to look for plain or unsweetened. Because they also have a sweetened one that is loaded with sugar.

I don't remember the fat content. I did a search and this site says that plain soy milk has 4g of fat per 8 oz.

http://www.soyfoods.com/soyfoodsdesc...s/soymilk.html
Old 01-05-2005, 12:39 PM   #5  
i luv my dog!

Good luck finding unsweetened soy milk unless you live in a metro area with good Asian markets, as Sarah mentioned. Before we moved to Europe I tried to find the unsweetened kind but to no avail.

That website nutrient info must be for the sweetened kind because they list a lot of carbs for a 1 cup serving. I drink a good unsweetened version from Denmark and the carton says it has 1.5 grams of carbs (not from sugar) for a 1 cup serving and 4.5 grams of fat, plus 2 grams of fiber. And like the Asian kind it has no additives of any sort.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Yup, I haven't found any unsweetened ones here in NY.

You are totally right...evaporated cane juice is a common sweetener in organic foods, along with brown rice syrup, all of which are not allowed. They're all sugar.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:18 AM   #7  
Razz

I can find unsweetened soy in the healthy food section of my local chain supermarket (Fry's). West Soy makes Unsweetened Vanilla and Unsweetened Regular. It was a very happy find. And an even happier find was Oregon Chai's Sugar-Free Original Chai Tea Latte. Mix the chai and the soy milk together, and I'm in heaven--especially great because one of the hardest parts about starting the diet was finding something yummy to drink!
Closed Thread