Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 05:51 AM   #1  
Work in Progress

Default LO CARB 2005 #1 Hey girls a new year, new start!

Well it's been awhile! I have been maintaining at 255# for months. However I am in a size 24 and surely not feeling good about myself. STress at work has been more than I can bear. Which does not help. Intelectually I know that exercise will help with that, as well as an attitude adjustment. But can't shift my thinking.
Maybe this time.
I got up late, so this is all. Will introduce myself more later to lurkers and potential joiners

Pat
Old 01-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #2  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I ah here just bearly holding at 235 givbe or take a few lbs.

I am Sue I am a long timer here have lost down to a size 12 then gained it lall when i lost my self and self resolve and self respect. I am working hard to gain it all again and regain control over my self. So I can get rid of this extra weight. I know I am a memeber of the YMCA but at work there is a bunch fo us going to join with corperate sponcership a different Gym. I am happy sort of and scared again to try and do it all over again the good news is that I know it can be done I just hope I am not to impatient and want it all gone in 3 months. I have about 100 lbs to lose and realisticly it should be done in about 2 years slowly. I am ready and really want to be able to squat again. and get out of my size 24' in to 12's and lower. So here I go. (now to get my fingers out of those cookies that My DD1 brought over)

Pat I am behind you if now with you!!! We will have to make a date for the mall this year. just to low carb some coffee!!! I can definatly relate to the stress at work attitude, that is my killer. I now have a drawer full of goodies. if only I can by pass the junk to get the good for me goodies.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:19 PM   #3  

Hello ladies. I saw the low carb in the thread title and I had to come in and post. My name is Lisa and I just started (for the third or fourth time) my low carb diet today. I weighed in at 202 this morning. I would like to lose 50 pounds this year. I did low carb two summers ago and lost 27 pounrds in 3 months. I felt and looked great! Then....well let's just say last may I had a 9lb 3oz baby boy and now I'm right back where I started with a few extra pounds. This was my third child and so I'm busy busy busy. I'm also a full time nursing student. I've done low carb since baby was born but I think that my body is holding on tighter than ever to this fat. It might have to do with the fact that I'm breastfeeding but I'll keep trying. Better slow weight loss than no weight loss...and better no weight loss than weight gain. I, too, have a membership to the YMCA and since I joined in October, I've only been once! However, for Christmas presents I signed my daugter up for gymnastics on Saturdays and my son up for karate on Wednesdays, so now I have to go at least twice a week! Hopefully the baby will do well in the nursery so I can really get a workout in. Well, that's me. I hope to visit you all more often and get to know you better!

Lisa
Old 01-04-2005, 05:11 AM   #4  
Work in Progress

Well good morning everyone! I can say that I feel better watching my carb intake. I am more alert Have less physical pain symtoms(arthritis) and more energy. But get me off track and just watch out! A moment of pleasure vs. many moments of guilt, self loathing etc. etc.
I was thinking last night as I watched all the ads for t he new year that in teh past year I have gotten exactly what I have put into my weight loss efforts.... Nothing! I am a firm believer that you get what you put into something. I now need to put into myself!
SO today I will go upstairs and work out
I will take and give support here @ 3FC
and I will make sure I get my 2 quarts of water in.

Sue we are ready!!! we can do this and we will do the mall thing!
Welcome Lisa! I too lost soem great weight the first time w/ lo carb but I'll tell you the second(3rd,4th you get the picture) has been hard! We are a great bunch of ladies( i know there are only 2 of us now) but we useed to have a bunch working together. I get alot of support here. Congrats on teh baby.

I will check in tomorrow and let you know how it went
Old 01-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #5  
Trying to find my way.

Water did you say water?? I knew I forgot some thing!

Hi Lisa I to have done great in the past lost a wopping 65 lbs and then went to work and gained it all back and some. I wish it was a nother baby then I would have had an excuse to eat the junk I did but I am having a hard time getting started again. I too have 4 kids so I know so well the difficulties that you face. I had to wait untill my kids were a few years old before I could do it. You need to be able to keep your focus and keep your needs up front, Pat and I are both nurses. So we can relate to all that you ahve to go through with school. If you just maintain and do not gain through this time you will do just great. what degree are you trying for?/ LPN or RN?

The body know the trick of low carb come the second time and you need to be patient. Some tricks, chromuim for the cravings (Gee I need to try some of these again) make sure you have plenty of snacks on hand. Do not get hungry!!!! One of the soups have some great low carb soups I have had tow of them so far the meditranian meatbal soup was great only 3 carbs per serving and 2 servings per can. I had roasted chicken yesterday a few more carbs. it is mostly broth so one whole can is not unreasonable. But it is home time when i lose it. like today again. I need to take some chromium before I go home then I think I will be fine.

I also got some low carb (sugar free with spenda) coffee flavoring (McD's has several) but I am trying this. it is french vanilla my down fall so lets see wehere this goes.

Todays meals were not the best but tomorow is another day.

OK I am ready. Waiting for Pam to check in!! I did get a return PM, she is still having a very hard tome with life. Poor Pam I have never met some one with so much fighting against her with such a positive attitude.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:27 AM   #6  
gbo

AHHHHAAAAAAAAA!!! I have found you again!!!! Oh Happy day, Oh Happy Day, hear the music?
Darlin's, God but it is good to be home! Here I am remember me, the lady who lost 100 lbs. Their back.......yes, it is true.The past year was a really challenging one health wise. At this weight I am surprised I am not dead...but, by heavens I am still here.
I am having a massive swelling problem in one leg but after all these months it is now spreading! All the hard work lossing that hundred pounds. Still, I shall do it yet again and more. I got lost in all the illness. One thing after another, non stop. I approach my 51st Birthday and beyond a shadow of a doubt will not live much longer at this rate.
Oh my Darlins how much I envy those who can exercise really exercise. It is so hard to be trapped by illness. The ill part I can handle but the weight, not the extreme weight. I surrendered to it and this is the result....I have regained it all back. I grow older now and it is hard to carry. My knees, and legs ache. It is hard to function at all. How depressive this sounds. I am not depressed nor do I tend to be a depressed person but all that illness ....trapped me. I lost hope, I lost me. JUst for a time...... mind you. I am hard to keep down but it succeeded for a while. No longer sooooo on a better note, I am 1 day op. As I am not at a high degree of mobility I am modifying my low carb to include lower fat as well as careful portion control. For breakfast I began with 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and 1/2 cup low carb peaches. For lunch I had to eggs and three small pieces of sausage, I became shaky and ate a boiled egg. For dinner two baked chicken thighs and green bean cooked with a bit of bacon. I did have a small amount of cream with my coffee. All together I had 16 carbs. I did not get the water started today but I will tomorrow. I have to go pay my bills but... I want to get them all done tonight so I can spend a bit of time outside tomorrow as it will be 78 degrees. The birds will be singing and flowers keep pushing up. Take care be back tomorrow. Missed you, and missed me too. I am back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pam
Old 01-05-2005, 05:13 AM   #7  
Work in Progress

Well good morning!
I can't tell you how good it feels to "talk" with you all. I didn't realize how much I missed you until I saw that you had posted! I will have to find that cool little scale that everyone has!
Fair day yesterday! Dealing and giving into the carb cravings. Not prepared as of yet. Must focus. Think I'll start us a challenge next week.

Pam my girl, it is so nice to hear your voice. I am sorry about teh health woes. You are such a trooper and always so positive. How is your mother? And DH. I get so envious when we are in the darkest winter and you talk of your warmth!

Hey Sue, I am trying to catch your energy! How is work? Stilll teh boss? Being teh boss sucks most days for me.

Off to today.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:59 AM   #8  

It is very nice reading all your posts and getting to know you gals. It's also very nice to talk to others about low carb. It makes me more motivated and I don't feel so alone. With a 7 year old, a 5 year old and a husband who love ice cream, chocolate milk, french toast, cookie crisp cereal, mash potatoes, macaroni and cheese, rice and tortillas.....low carb is tough in my household!!!!! But, I can do it! Monday was day 1 op for me and I was doing great until last night when I had bacon wrapped scallops in the oven when our electricity went out....for 6 hours!!! I did not have my scallops and I was frustrated about being in the dark and not having the right kind of batteries for any radio in our house! So...I got out a gift that one of my church kids gave me for Christmas....the makings for Smores! Yes, we had graham crackers, Hershey bar and marshmallows by candle-light.. The kids enjoyed it and I didn't over do it. Today is another day and for breakfast? BACON WRAPPED SCALLOPS!!! I'm not doing very well with water intake and I'm drinking lots of diet dr pepper. We're in the middle of a horrible ice storm so the kids are home from school, my sons karate class was cancelled and my dental appt was even cancelled. So, nowhere to go and DH may even have to stay home from work due to power outage at work. Okay....so...any good low carb snack ideas? I like pepper jack cheese and of course, all the low carb candy bars. I also like to snack on almonds or pecans as well. For lunches I've been taking a low carb tortilla and rolling it up with some deli turkey, mayo, mustard, cheese and cucumber. I cut in medallions and it's scrumptious!

Okay, that's all for me today! Have a great day everyone and hope to hear from you soon.

Oh...nasus...I will graduate in May with an Associates Degree as an RN! YIPPEE

Lisa
Old 01-05-2005, 06:15 PM   #9  
Trying to find my way.

Congrats on the hard work Lisa, (nasus is susan spelled backwards) It will pay off in the long run.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:03 AM   #10  
gbo

Darlin's, I am doing well 2 days op. I was really quite nauseated this morning. Coffee with a healthy dollop of thick cream is much easier on the stomach than straight coffee! It seems I must have a bit of something before coffee. Funny thing though, I had an odd experience. I went through a few seconds of an anxiety attack over dieting! Well, food actually. It didn't last long but I was intensely aware of it. That has never happened before. Why? "I asked myself. I went on and was distracted from the thought. Later, I mused over it while chatting with my friend and she looked at me very straight and said,"Well, I think I know why." My head tilted to the left and my questioning expression invited her to continue. "Pam she replied firmly. For Months, you have been dreaming of Dr Phil. He has come to help you with your weight on four occasions I know about. Something has triggered, something new. So many dreams
about him. You got it somewhere deep down and that means a huge change for your whole life. That's scary! she said with feeling. I hope so but only time will tell. My carb count for today is 18(salad). Did I tell you all my best friend of nearly 30 years is now divorced and she her daughter, and a friend from NH now live here with us. It is nice They have been here for 7 months. Rabbit, (nickname) from NH takes care of what I can not do, Mandy Cheri's daughter is 11 and can be a hand full but we dearly love one another. Cheri is like a sister to me. It is nice to have them here I must say. Mom is fine she has regained her lost weight and added a few lbs. How long that shall last I do not know but she is more in the spirit than here.It will never be easy to lose my Mumsey but she is so different. Hubby is now disabled due to short term memory loss.
It is much better for us now. He has started a food pantry at church and is really quite busy. I make notes for him and he is very involved in community affairs. He is really quite busy. I am working on my kitchen chairs recovering them. I can sit on the floor getting up is another matter. LOL Between this weight and the very swollen leg it is just another challenge. The day was lovely my girls, the birds were singing the gentle sunshine. The air fresh and tenderly warm to the skin amidst trees sleeping, flowers bravely standing despite the ever present threat of winters icy fingers laying waste to their efforts. But soon my dears , soon Spring will return to us shooooing away winter, nurturing all those sleeping leafy friends and low and behold she will call summer once again to come.
Lisa.... I know how it is by candle light . When Ivan hit here like Thors hammer ripping up trees, stripping the pecans off the standing tress throwing them against the house sounding like an attack by a machine gun, we were with out electricity for many days.
We cooked on the grill, made coffee with the bunson burner and daily packed the frezers with ice. Had to cook a lot of food really fast.
Pat It is good to be back and I am as wordy as ever I really must curb that!!! So I am going to sleep now but you will of course most usually see me here each day.
Pam
Old 01-06-2005, 11:22 PM   #11  
gbo

Darlins, Just dropped in to let you know I am op and doing fine. Hubby brought me a gift........a bag of Fritos scoops. My favorite. I said to Cher get that out of here. There is junk everywhere but Fritos are my favorite chip. I had Rabbit take them and put them in her room. Hang tough girls!!!
Pam
Old 01-08-2005, 06:24 AM   #12  
Work in Progress

Hey girls sorry to be away. DH's father is going thru chemo and has had a bad couple of days.
Susan??????

ANy way. Not OP and kinda scattered. Am going to grocery shop today and spend the weekend trying to get my head on straight.

Lisa, way to go!!!! My hats off to you juggling all that. It is very hard t o cook 2 different ways. I have read that some people just learn to offer their family similar stuff thats lo carb . Have you watched lo carb and lovin it on teh food network. He has some great reciped. They are on teh web site too.

Pam you know I love your wordiness!!! Your writing has such poetry. I am glad your mom is better. ANd am glad you are seeing to yourself.

Bless you and Lisa for coping with weather's wrath. WE have been lucky here so far, knock on wood.

Well I'll check in again later.

Have a great weekend
Old 01-09-2005, 04:05 AM   #13  
gbo

Darlin's, I am totally op on my low carb diet. So Pleased to be able to say that. I watched a very intresting show on the food network about low carb diets. From Atkins , South Beach and a nutritionist of many years who had herself tried many diets due to a weight gain she had experienced after having cancer, chemo and after recovery, had gain a good bit of weight from inactivity. She tried fruits and veggies, and even the microbiotic diet caused her a weight gain and by her own expermentation found low carb a major part of the answer. There is more her diet plan while low carb does allow some fruits( but you must have protien with the fruit),and a very restricted use of carbs. She doesn't eliminate them completely( after a good running start she suggests small servings of brown rice, and other carbs are allowed too but in very small serving. The most valuable thing I learned from her was that one should have a small snack every two hours to keep the blood sugar on an even keil, which in turn keeps the body burning fat continually. It stops cravings the downfall of most diets and keeps the body burning fat at a high rate all day long until sleep. Her modified low carb is so close to what I have chosen to do I tried what she said. Every two hours I had a small snack two celery sticks with cream cheese, 1/4 of a large green pepper with a little over 1/2 oz. of Montery Jack Cheese and five cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup low carb ice cream and so on. As to how it effects weight loss I can not yet say but my energy level was vastly improved and stayed that was all day and well into the night. I did not have cravings.....none. That is a miracle in a house full of junk food. That I can attest to. Therefore I shall continue in this manner and see what happens. One thing I do know, my husband & Rabbit both eat something about every two hours, in fact I have kidded them about it. I never guessed it may be the right thing to do. I shall boil some eggs tomorrow, and make up a few snack bags for myself. The Nutritionist di suggest that making up a few sanwich bags with munchies was a good idea. Be it fresh veggies(LOw Carb Ones) or a couple of eggs,
what ever you choose. Take them with you, 4 bags for an 8 hour day at work ,5-6 for the whole day. it makes sense. I will let you know if it works! Despite two nasty arguments with hubby I am totally op and drank a pot of green tea. Got in about 45 oz's of water but when the milk jug is empty that will be my personal water. I have always done so well that way. A good day for me personally but darlin's it is way late and I must go to greet dreamland which awaits me so patiently. I was so busy creating a pattern from the back and set of one of my kitchen chairs. They are shaped in a deep curve for the back. Oddly shaped chairs but I like them. I now have the pattern cut and tomorrow I shall cut out the material from the pattern and fit them to the chair. For now sweet ones, sweet dreams and may the angels watch over you and your loved ones as you sleep.
Pam
P.S. Pat, gosh I am glad you don't mind how I do carry on sometimes! I just can seem to help it!
Old 01-09-2005, 06:28 AM   #14  
Work in Progress

Good Sunday Morning to you all
Pam Great snack ideas. I too watched the second 1/2 hour of that program and do enjoy George's Lo carb and lovin it cooking show. He makes the food look so attractive. ANd of course he is a walking testiment to teh lifestyle. I shopped adn didn't buy the pitfalls. Will focus today on teh detox. Get the water in. Planning for me is so important. It is also harder for me to eat salads in eth winter as I seem to want something warm. So I bought lean quisene lunches that are lower in carbs. I hope to stay ontrack with them. AS it seems that the lack of planning is what gets me

Sue where the heck are you??

Lisa how is the family, schoolwork?

I am going to start a challenge thread for us tomorrow.

I point each for getting in water
exercise(movement of any kind) and eating OP
3 possible points for each day.

Looking for you all

Lurkers welcome too!
Old 01-10-2005, 05:45 AM   #15  
Work in Progress

Good morning
feeling kinda lonely
heading to do the challenge thread
Closed Thread