Old 01-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #1  

Exclamation Help

I want to start the Induction phase of Atkins and I am confused about what is allowed. I wanted to know if you can drink Crystal Light and if you can eat pork rinds. I also wanted to know if having fast food is ok. I know that Carls Jr sells a $6 low carb angus beef burger and I wanted to know if that is ok. Plus, which deli meat can I have? Oh yeah, and which chewing gums are approved during the Induction phase? It almost sounds like everything has some hidden sugar or carb content. Thank you for your help and support!

Tafferella
tafferella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:23 PM   #2  
Head Princess

Here's the short answer: Read the book!!!! or go to www.atkins.com and read up on induction. There is a specific list of what's allowed during the first two weeks and in what amounts. Study it! Anything worth doing is worth doing right so take the time to really understand what this WOE is before you attempt to jump in. Otherwise, you could end up doing more harm than good.
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #3  
Baby Steps

Like Star said, you should read the book. It tells you what you can and can't have. During induction it's pretty strict about what you can and can't have. Fast foods are usually frowned on and advised against. In a pinch (Say there's no way you can get home or have food with you for lunch, then a salad would be good in my eyes) it's ok, but not on a regular basis. Good luck and join us in the daily thread
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:13 PM   #4  
Look at me go ;)

Definitely do the research before you start! If you are serious about losing the weight, getting healthy and staying that way, then you need to make sure you know what you are doing. Best advice has already been stated, read the book Welcome aboard!
Cinnymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:50 PM   #5  

Default Thanks

Thank you for replying to my message. I have bought the book but my confusion lies more with the websites and sample menus that are provided. For example, on the Atkins website it says you can have SF Jello but that was not listed on the accpetable list. Anyway, I decided to try and customize an induction menu following the The Atkins Essential Book and website. Thank you for your support and encouragement!
tafferella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #6  
Head Princess

I understand it can be confusing. Personally, I decided that there are two kinds of induction.

First is strict induction. That's where you stick to your list faithfully. I feel that it's really important to do that for the first two weeks because it sets you up properly and breaks all those naughty habits we all have.

Second is induction. That's where you aren't necessarily sticking strictly to the list, but you're staying under 20 grams of carbs per day.

Make sense?
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #7  
Look at me go ;)

I agree with Star about the 2 kinds of induction. I also found that I needed to pick one or the other between the website and the book, otherwise I was totally confused. I stick to the book and this wonderful board. I only use the website for recipes or maybe some occasional research/questions after I have gotten the hang of things. Hope that helps a little.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #8  
Baby Steps

I definitely think the book is better. The website is too lenient in my opinion. Allowing too much of the LC snack foods and such.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:22 PM   #9  
Look at me go ;)

Awww Brenda, you know they gotta support their business somehow