Old 12-28-2004, 07:24 PM   #1  

Default Hi, I'm new

Hello everyone

hope you had a great christmass and didnt eat or drink too much

I have a lot of weight to loose and most my life ive tried dieting etc
but it hasnt worked out, so thought i'd try something different.

do you think it is feasible to loose 10 stone in a year, if so
what would be the best way of going about it ?

thanks for any help in advance
Big-Risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:59 PM   #2  
Abby's Mommy

Welcome to the club Big Risk!! As for the weight you want to loose, how many pounds are in a stone? Im sure its been said on here before, but I cant remember. Anyhoo, start off by drinking WATER, and lots of it! Again, welcome. Jump right in, and dont be shy!

Last edited by Ivanna B. Skinny; 12-28-2004 at 08:02 PM.
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:26 PM   #3  

Was it Amanda who once explained the conversion of a stone? I can't remember. Just reply back for us how many pounds in a stone. Welcome! Hehehe..nevermind I looked it up. 1 stone is roughly 13.9 pounds. So, rounded off it is 14 pounds. That is about 140 pounds that you want to lose then. In my opinion that is alot of weight to lose in a year but it certainly can be done I am sure. If you think that is a realistic goal for yourself then I say go for it. I'm a slow loser. I have to work super hard to lose pounds so it does not go very quickly for me. I thought for sure I could lose 100 pounds in a year, but I am not going to meet that goal and I am ok with that. It is the fact that I am losing that counts. No matter what the speed, a loss is a wonderful thing.

If you wanted to lose that much you would have to average .82 stone a month. I think I did the math right. Not used to stones. hehe..For us who use pounds that is about 11.5 pounds a month. I am on a 1200-1500 calorie a day plan. Balanced meals. Almost following the food pyramid with little things I add here and there. There are so many ways you can approach your weight loss plan. I'm sure others will chime in with their plans also. You have to find the one that works the best for you. So, plan on doing some experimenting at first.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:28 PM   #4  
Walking by faith

Default Hi Big-Risk....

Welcome to 3FC! This is a great place for weight loss support.

Ten stone-that's 140 pounds! That's a whole person! It would be very hard, even with gastric bypass surgery, to do that in a year. What kind of diets have you been on before? Have you asked your doctor for advice?

You could try low fat or low carb, but for me, the most important thing is portion control. That, and regular exercise. Try whatever, 'til you find what works for you.

Keep coming back!
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

I believe 1 stone is equal to about 14 lbs. It depends on what your weight loss plan is. I know there is a person on here that started their weight loss plan after me and have lost 80's lbs and I'm in the 20's. It doesn't mean that I'm doing things wrong and she's doing it right. It means that everyone follows their own path but we end up in the same place.The one thing you want to think about is it's a lifestyle change and that you should pick a weight loss plan that you can live with. It's a huge step please think about what you want. I know it's nice to see those pound/stones shed quickly but once you lose the fat you don't want it back.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

I just seen that your male. That make a huge difference as far as weight loss. Men seem to lose so much faster. My husband just started his weight loss and in 6 weeks he lost 37 lbs. He isn't working out but has cut back and is eating healthy. Lastweek he lost 8lbs and I only lost 2 and I workout pretty hard. This month I'll hopefully have walked 100miles ( Walk Away The Pounds DVDs) and have only lost 5 lbs ( I hope for more wed) the entire month. So it maybe possible I say go for it what do you have to lose besices weight. Ok that was corny but had to say it . Welcome to our group.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:47 PM   #7  

Hehe..thanks for pointing out that Big-Risk is a male. I did not know. That does change alot of things. Men do tend to lose weight much faster than women. There for awhile my husband was losing way faster than I was. He's kind of lost his motivation for now is gaining back his lost weight. Howie on here has some super weigh-in weeks where I am just amazed. He's lost over 80 pounds for the year. Hehe Mez your last statement cracked me up.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:58 PM   #8  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Hey nice to see another guy here. I think 14 stone can be done but I would set your sights a little lower if I were you. I am going for 100 lbs this year and feel that is pushing the limits. I would just get started and set small goals and see where you are at this time next year. Even if you would only lose 2 stones this year your still going to be another year older. So you might as well be lighter. Every bit helps. So don't sweat the big numbers. Just go for the small goals and the big ones will take care of there self. I try to lose 10% at a time. I had 176 lbs I wanted to lose when I started and my first goal was 18 lbs then another 18 and so on. It's starting to add up and I will be at 100 lost before long.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:27 AM   #9  
PamPSM644

Big Risk, Hi and welcome. We need more men around here. Our guys a vastly out numbered but valued highly. I think that you can do it.140lbs in a year. I've lost 60 in 5 months and I haven't been as strict with myself as I could have.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 01:32 AM   #10  

Welcome to 3FC. If you believe it can be done, it can be done. Read the posts here. They are filled with lots of good advice on losing weight. The one thing I think is most important in the weight loss battle is developing a positive can-do attitude. There will be times when things don't go so well but a good attitude will make overcoming those dips a little bit easier.

A good eating plan filled with healthy nutritious food, lots of water and regular exercise come in a close second, third and fourth . The Good luck on your goals.
dharmaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:50 PM   #11  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hi Big Risk - welcome to the 100lb club,

140lb in a year works out at losing 2.7 lb a week - as a man you could totally do that, but you will have to be disciplined and work hard. It's not unusual for Howie to lose 5lb or more in a good week - so as long as you stick to it week in and week out, then you could lose 140lb. Isn't that exciting????

Shoot for the moon, I say!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote