Old 12-26-2004, 12:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Lightbulb Update :-D

Well, I have been on here pretty sporadically to say the least. Its time for an update!

I went to the cardio on the 22nd. The doc kept saying "congestive heart failure ,..blah blah" but when he listened to my lungs and looked at my legs/feet he was suprised. he said i had good circulation in my feet and that I was overall healthy! He said that he thinks once my blood pressure gets lower, my heart will shrink. he said it looks like it has gotten better already but since I am "bigger" that it is hard to judge the size of the heart sometimes. He also said that i HAD to lose weight (im thinking,..duh) and that I could exercise again. I will start monday but its going to be a hard fight. it is almost impossible for me to do do things anymore, I tire so easily. Everything starts aching like ive been walking for 1000 miles!~

he also said my good cholesterol was low (at least he didnt say my bad cholesterol was high,..lol) and that the liver enzymes were high, but exercise will help those. They took blood to test my potassium but the results wouldnt be back for a few days but because of christmas I havent heard yet. The doc called while I was out shopping on the 23rd but by the time i got home, his office was closed.

They added another medication to my list for a total of 3,.. it is supposed to keep potassium levels up and he said if it caused me to have a dry cough, to call him so he could change the meds, but i havent had a problem yet.

Also,.. my blood pressure was lower,.. the top number was 140!!! wow!! thats low for me, but he wants it like 110-115 or so. He wants me to buy a home blood pressure taker, but we havent gotten to a store yet. I think im going to look on ebay but i have no idea what to look for even.

So,.. all in all,.. i think I am ok, and i will be here more, as it seems like the weight loss plan is coming back, although eating low sodium and low fat, i would think i would lose weight anyway, as it seems there is alot I cant eat. Maybe once i drink more water and exercise more, i will lose weight. i cant tell if i lost weight since the hospital because the cardio scale only goes up to 350! at the hopital, i was 376...yikes
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 01:29 AM   #2  

Oh Heather I'm so glad to hear that you are doing better. I was getting kinda worried there. Just take your time and do what you can. The most important thing is healing. Keep us posted on your progress.
dharmaspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:42 AM   #3  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I have a home bp machine.. You can get them at walmart.. or places like that. I would suggest a digital one. If you can take your bp at home just before going to dr to compare to make sure you are doing it right. Or better yet, take the machine in with you and the nurse can help.
You are being so pro-active - that is great!!!

I need to get on my treadmill! I don't feel comfortable walking outside with this ice and snow.

Way to go Heather - keep this up!

Dana
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 11:01 AM   #4  
PamPSM644

Heather, I'm happy to hear your doing better. Before I started my diet I was beganning to have symtoms of High blood pressure which are all gone now.Aside from the Muscular Distrophy I'm quit healthy,(nock on wood).Just another benifit of losing the weight.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 03:21 PM   #5  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

I'm glad you are doing better Heather. I got my blood pressure machine at wal-mart. I had to get an extra part that you wrap around your arm, because I need the bigger size, and it just came with regular size.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 03:33 PM   #6  

*nod* yeah I have a fat arm,..lol I want to get one of those wrist bp machines,.. it fits wrists up to 7 3/4 but knowing my luck, my wrist is bigger than that
Old 12-26-2004, 04:49 PM   #7  
Walking by faith

Smile Hi Heather

Glad to hear that there was some good news from your doctor . Your low sodium low fat plan sounds like a good one. I'm basically doing the same thing, since I also have high blood pressure. My problem is portion control . When I eat smaller portions, watch my carbs, and do even simple things like eating off a smaller plate, I'm able to lose. I have a problem with exercise too. I have a broken ankle, and I can't bear weight on my right foot . Could you do seated exercises, or weight training using small (2 lb) weights? That might be a good option for you for now.

Keep up the good work!

:snf:
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:32 PM   #8  

Heather, thanks for the update. For the most part it sounds like you got very encouraging news from your doctor. I'm sorry that the exercise is so hard for you. I think you are just going to have to take it very, very slowly and with time you will be able to do more and more.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 09:13 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

You can do it BabyGirl !!! with this group cheering you on, and your doctors at your side, your gonna do good!! Have faith and patience and before you know it you'll see that scale move like you never thought it would.

HUGS !!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 01:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Sounds like some extra incentive for you, Heather. Thanks for the update. You were/are doing great with WATP, and trust me, when you keep up with it, it'll get a lot easier.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 05:36 PM   #11  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Good to hear you're being so proactive about this!!! I got my wrist model BP machine @ WalMart for $80. It's a Braun, takes batteries.

You might want to check out the DASH diet. I am starting it this week, it's lowfat, low sodium & concentrates on lots of fruit & veg & whole grain.

Thanks for updating us.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 08:39 PM   #12  

Talking

*nod* I was planning on doing the DASH diet before all this heart stuff happened. Now that things are starting to settle, maybe i will give it a go.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:59 AM   #13  
2006 - Panda Remix

I've been away a while, but am really glad to hear that you are doing okay Heather!

You've had a real scare there - now you can focus on getting yourself fit and healthy!

All the best

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 01:06 PM   #14  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Glad to hear you are doing better Heather. I go to my doctors each week to weigh but that is just recently because there scales only go to 350. I'm sure if you went back to the hospitial they would be glad to let you use the scale. Also Wal-mart had one new scale that went up to 400 lbs. It looked really nice and I think it was about $40.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 08:19 PM   #15  
Abby's Mommy

Heather, Im really glad to hear that you've had good news! Keep us posted!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote