Thread: Book Lists
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 11:19 PM   #1
AnneWonders

Height: 5'7"

Default Book Lists

Hi everyone,

All scattered throughout the forum we've been talking about books we've found useful in our weight loss & maintenance journeys. Someone mentioned starting a thread with the collected information and I thought I'd put mine together tonight while I had some time. So here is my recommended book list, with extremely short descriptions/reviews of each book. The two books in red are the ones I recommened most highly.

General:

Thin for Life, Anne M Fletcher, MS, RD
The absolute classic. Read this one if you don't read anything else.
The 9 Truths about Weight Loss, Daniel S. Kirschenbaum, PhD
Good sections on weight control and excellent techniques for stress management and maintenance. I found the food/nutrition sections to be less helpful.
Nutrition:

The Volumetrics Weight-Control Plan, Barbara Rolls, PhD & Robert A. Barnett
Subtitled: Feel Full on Fewer Calories. A scientific approach to satiety and one that works extremely well for me personally when I actually do it. My #2 book.
The Complete Book of Food Counts, Corinne T. Netzer
Whatever you're counting, it's in here: calories, protein, carbs, cholesterol, fat, fiber. Quicker and more portable than the internet. Updated periodically.
American Dietetic Association Complete Food and Nutrition Guide, 2nd Ed., Roberta Larson Duyff, MS RD FADA CFCS
A huge book packed with general nutrition information for all situations from growing children, weight loss, sports nutrition, etc. USDA Food Guide Pyramid based.
Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook, Nancy Clark, MS RD
Concentrates on the nutrion needs of athletes and heavy exercisers, including how to time meals/snacks for optimal workouts, sports drinks, supplements, etc.
Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy, Walter C. Willett, MD
Incorporates newer research than the USDA Pyramid approach. Stresses the importance of healthy fats and carbohydrates.
Eating Well For Optimum Health, Andrew Weil, MD
A more holistic approach to nutrition and health. Great recipes. Some recent research on supplementation doesn't support the older research that went into this book, and I take some of the healing advice/claims with a big grain of salt.
Exercise/Sports/Motivation:

Strong Women Stay Slim, Miriam E. Nelson, PhD
Why strength training is beneficial for weight loss, how to begin, and how to incorporate cardio and healthy eating to complete the program. Outlines a very doable program and illustrations feature realistic women performing the exercises.
The Courage to Start, John "The Penguin" Bingham
John started took up running and it transformed his life. How he started as an absolute, obese beginner and became a runner. Good intro to beginning running and very motivational for getting started with exercise in general.
Slow Fat Triathlete, Jayne Williams
Jayne does for triathlon what John did for running. Jayne still doesn't have a 'perfect' body but became an athlete anyway! Good for intro to triathlon and general motivation.
It's Not About the Bike, Lance Armstrong with Sally Jenkins
Lance went from a promising cyclist, to a cancer patient given little chance to live, to one of the greatest champions in the sport, unparalleled 6 time Tour de France champion. This tells the story of his illness and comeback. Unbelievable motivation for reading when I think that I'm having a bad day!
Others:

The Quest for Peace, Love, and a 24" Waist, Debora Low
A guided tour to figuring out if weight loss is right for you. Sounds kind of crazy but encourages some deep thinking about your priorities, goals. Ranges from being very New Age-y to good sound advice for setting SMART (Specific, Measureable, Adaptable, Realistic, & Time-based) goals.
Fast Food Nation, Eric Schlosser
Impact of fast food in America. Health implications are one part of this. I would recommend this but warn that it is a 'political' book and not an individual self-help one.
-from Song of Myself, Walt Whitman

Last edited by AnneWonders : 12-23-2004 at 08:35 AM. Reason: One More!
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote