The Maintenance Library books, articles, and book discussions

Old 12-22-2004, 11:19 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Book Lists

Hi everyone,

All scattered throughout the forum we've been talking about books we've found useful in our weight loss & maintenance journeys. Someone mentioned starting a thread with the collected information and I thought I'd put mine together tonight while I had some time. So here is my recommended book list, with extremely short descriptions/reviews of each book. The two books in red are the ones I recommened most highly.

General:

Thin for Life, Anne M Fletcher, MS, RD
The absolute classic. Read this one if you don't read anything else.
The 9 Truths about Weight Loss, Daniel S. Kirschenbaum, PhD
Good sections on weight control and excellent techniques for stress management and maintenance. I found the food/nutrition sections to be less helpful.
Nutrition:

The Volumetrics Weight-Control Plan, Barbara Rolls, PhD & Robert A. Barnett
Subtitled: Feel Full on Fewer Calories. A scientific approach to satiety and one that works extremely well for me personally when I actually do it. My #2 book.
The Complete Book of Food Counts, Corinne T. Netzer
Whatever you're counting, it's in here: calories, protein, carbs, cholesterol, fat, fiber. Quicker and more portable than the internet. Updated periodically.
American Dietetic Association Complete Food and Nutrition Guide, 2nd Ed., Roberta Larson Duyff, MS RD FADA CFCS
A huge book packed with general nutrition information for all situations from growing children, weight loss, sports nutrition, etc. USDA Food Guide Pyramid based.
Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook, Nancy Clark, MS RD
Concentrates on the nutrion needs of athletes and heavy exercisers, including how to time meals/snacks for optimal workouts, sports drinks, supplements, etc.
Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy, Walter C. Willett, MD
Incorporates newer research than the USDA Pyramid approach. Stresses the importance of healthy fats and carbohydrates.
Eating Well For Optimum Health, Andrew Weil, MD
A more holistic approach to nutrition and health. Great recipes. Some recent research on supplementation doesn't support the older research that went into this book, and I take some of the healing advice/claims with a big grain of salt.
Exercise/Sports/Motivation:

Strong Women Stay Slim, Miriam E. Nelson, PhD
Why strength training is beneficial for weight loss, how to begin, and how to incorporate cardio and healthy eating to complete the program. Outlines a very doable program and illustrations feature realistic women performing the exercises.
The Courage to Start, John "The Penguin" Bingham
John started took up running and it transformed his life. How he started as an absolute, obese beginner and became a runner. Good intro to beginning running and very motivational for getting started with exercise in general.
Slow Fat Triathlete, Jayne Williams
Jayne does for triathlon what John did for running. Jayne still doesn't have a 'perfect' body but became an athlete anyway! Good for intro to triathlon and general motivation.
It's Not About the Bike, Lance Armstrong with Sally Jenkins
Lance went from a promising cyclist, to a cancer patient given little chance to live, to one of the greatest champions in the sport, unparalleled 6 time Tour de France champion. This tells the story of his illness and comeback. Unbelievable motivation for reading when I think that I'm having a bad day!
Others:

The Quest for Peace, Love, and a 24" Waist, Debora Low
A guided tour to figuring out if weight loss is right for you. Sounds kind of crazy but encourages some deep thinking about your priorities, goals. Ranges from being very New Age-y to good sound advice for setting SMART (Specific, Measureable, Adaptable, Realistic, & Time-based) goals.
Fast Food Nation, Eric Schlosser
Impact of fast food in America. Health implications are one part of this. I would recommend this but warn that it is a 'political' book and not an individual self-help one.

Last edited by AnneWonders; 12-23-2004 at 08:35 AM. Reason: One More!
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:35 PM   #2  

Hi,

Which book would you recommend for an overweight man who has lost weight and regained--to help with motivation and healthy lifestyle changes? I have a friend who is looking for a book as a gift to a relative.

Thanks
SweetLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:11 AM   #3  
Meg

Default Thank You, Anne!

Anne!

THANK YOU!

What a great Christmas present to wake up to! I can't tell you what a huge help your book list is! And you organized it so well, with the topics and descriptions. It's one of the things that's been on my 'to do' list for after the holidays and you beat me to it - and did a much better job than I would have.

Look for a larger and better organized Maintainers Forum in the next few weeks ... with Anne's marvelous book list as the heart of the library!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:16 AM   #4  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLife
Hi,

Which book would you recommend for an overweight man who has lost weight and regained--to help with motivation and healthy lifestyle changes? I have a friend who is looking for a book as a gift to a relative.

Thanks
Hi SweetLife - my recommendation would be for Anne Fletcher's Thin For Life - the revised edition. It focuses the on the permanent lifestyle changes that are necessary to lose and keep off weight for life. It also talks about the fact that many people will lose and regain weight before they finally discover what works for them and, rather than failure, it's all part of the learning process.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:03 AM   #5  

I'm not a maintainer YET ... heh heh ... but I love the idea of this thread and thought I'd contribute. Reading is as important as breathing to me, and whenever I undertake something my first step is to read about it. So, in the 3+ years I've been doing this, I've read quite a bit. Here are my recommendations:

Practical Books about Weight Loss and Fitness
  • Thin for Life : 10 Keys to Success from People Who Have Lost Weight and Kept It Off by Anne Fletcher
    As mentioned previously. This is the book I read months before I started my program, and it made me think that maybe, just maybe I could lose at least some weight and keep it off, and there are strategies here that I use to this day.
  • The Thin Books: Daily Strategies & Meditations for Fat-Free, Guilt-Free, Binge-Free Living by Jean Eddy Westin
    This is the BIBLE for understanding and recovering from compulsive overeating. Even if you don't attend OA (and I don't) it's invaluable for understanding that the way your brain works may be standing in your way, and that you have to become aware of when you are falling into old traps and have strategies to deal with them. This is one of those books where I kept saying, "How did she know I think like that?" and "You mean EVERYBODY doesn't think like that?"
  • Fattitudes: Beat Self-Defeat and Win Your War With Weight by Jeffrey Wilbert, Norean K. Wilbert
    This book wasn't as helpful for me as it is for others, but I did get something out of it. I think it's especially good for people who have significant others, relatives, and/or friends who don't understand why losing weight is hard and who (intentionally or unintentionally) can sabotage your efforts.
  • The Ultimate Weight Solution: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom by Phil McGraw
    Overall I'm not a Dr. Phil fan but this book pretty much hits the nail on the head.
  • Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight by Kathy Smith
  • Strong Women Stay Slim by Miriam Nelson, Ph.D. and Sarah Wernick, Ph.D.
    Kathy Smith's book, above, draws a lot on this work and previous works by Nelson. Both are easy, informative reads.
  • Kathy Smith's Getting Better All the Time : Shape Up, Eat Smart, Feel Great! by Kathy Smith
    A more general book than the Lift Weights book. Contains some tips about motivation as well as food and exercise advice.
  • Yoga for Wimps by Miriam Austin
    Yoga is one of the best things you can do for your body AND your mental / emotional / spiritual life. If you are afraid of yoga or think your body can't do it, this is a terrific place to start. The relaxation techniques alone are worth the price.
  • Cool Yoga Tricks by Miriam Austin
    Once you've started real yoga practice, this books teaches a lot of wonderful modifications to help you get more out of poses. I learned some things in here that I use in my yoga class that my teacher didn't even think of.

Mind / Body
  • Health Journeys: A Meditation to Help You with Weight Loss (audio tape) by Belleruth Naparstek
  • 28 to Motivate (tape / CD) Jenny Craig
    Available to JC clients; may also be available for general purchase through their web site.
  • The Mental Edge: Maximize Your Sports Potential With the Mind/Body Connection by Ken Baum, Richard Trubo, Kenneth Baum
    The concepts here apply to ALL facets of weight loss and fitness, not just competitive athletics or exercise.
  • Get Motivated! : Daily Psych-Ups by Kara Farley
    Ditto
  • Meditation for Wimps: Finding Your Balance in an Imperfect World by Miriam Austin, Barry Kaplan

True Stories
  • Stop the Insanity by Susan Powter
    This book could fit in a lot of different sections ... I put her here because overall it's very inspiring and has some good factual info about why oxygen is important in fat burning, that it's OK to modify exercises when you can't keep up with the aerobics instructor, etc. But some of her food advice is misguided, and she DOES have a chip on her shoulder about men due to her past. But, I got a huge kick and a lot of good info from reading it.
  • Fat Chat With Tamara: How I Lost 100 Pounds and You Can Too by Tamara Hill, Maryann Brinley
  • Passing for Thin : Losing Half My Weight and Finding My Self by Frances Kuffel
    You may not completely identify with Kuffel, and obviously we are not all 12-steppers, but her story is compelling and insightful.

Related Medical Issues
  • Living Well with Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You... That You Need to Know by Mary J. Shomon
  • The Good News About Women's Hormones : Complete Information and Proven Solutions for the Most Common Hormonal Problems by Geoffrey Redmond

For Those Thinking about Plastic Surgery
  • Two Girlfriends Get Real About Cosmetic Surgery by Charlee Ganny, Susan J. Collini
  • The Smart Woman's Guide to Plastic Surgery : Essential Information from a Female Plastic Surgeon by Jean M. Loftus M.D.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:21 AM   #6  
Meg

Thank you too, Funniegrrl! What a wonderful list! This is awesome and anyone else who wants to contribute, please feel free.

BTW, Funniegrrl - you are absolutely 100% a maintainer! Even though you may have a few pounds left to goal, you've done an incredible job losing the vast majority of your weight and you're certainly dedicated to maintaining THAT loss. So don't you dare leave our little group!
Old 12-23-2004, 12:35 PM   #7  

*grin*

Validation from Meg! Validation from Meg!

*giggle*

OK, you've talked me into it! heh heh
Old 12-23-2004, 12:54 PM   #8  

Thanks for great advices!

I would like to add my couple of books to Funniegrrl's list.

Eat Right 4 Your Type by Dr. Peter D'Adamo
Live Right 4 Your Type by Dr. Peter D'Adamo

I know in some kind those are controversial, and it also depends which blood type you are. My husband though, who for many years suffered from bad mouth smell and constant indigestion problems benefited from the book tremendously - he is blood type A and as soon as he stopped eating red meat, his stomack problems and bad breath went away... Mind you, he still eats turkey and chicken.

As for me, who is blood type B, Dr. Adamo's theory is not working as well as type blood A part, so I did not benefit from the book as much as DH, but I still use tons of his recipes as well as fitness suggestions.

Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:17 PM   #9  

Thanks Meg! That's the one I've been eyeing but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for men as well--going to pick it up right now
SweetLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 12:20 AM   #10  
WW Moderator

I haven't read this yet, but I just got the CD's and workbook by Deepak Chopra called Weight Loss - The Complete Mind Body Solution. In it, he talks about compulsive eating habits, and when to start and stop eating. Has anybody read/listened to it? I'm hoping it tackles the head hunger issues that creep up when I least expect it!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 04:45 AM   #11  
Meg

We'd love your review when you've finished listening!
Old 12-24-2004, 06:18 AM   #12  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLife
Thanks Meg! That's the one I've been eyeing but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for men as well--going to pick it up right now
That's a good point about books for men versus women since so many diet books seem to be geared toward women. Thin For Life would definitely work for a man - many men are featured in it, some with astonishing weight loss stories. We're going to feature TFL in a book discussion group here in Maintainers in January if your friend would like to join us.
Old 12-24-2004, 05:13 PM   #13  

What a great list of books; I see many of my favorites here. I have two to add:

Fit From Within: 101 Simple Secrets to change Your Body and Your Life -- Starting Today and Lasting Forever by Victoria Moran. As much as I have benefitted from several of the books listed above, it is this volume to which I will return most often. It is divided into 101 very brief chapters (each 2-3 pages) that can be read straight through, or as a daily meditation, or as a boost when spirits are flagging. One might call it a yogic approach, focusing as it does on the balance of body, mind and spirit. But it's yoga as written by a westerner, with a western sensibility. It is gentle, loving, compassionate and wise. I love this book.

The Body Sculpting Bible for Women by James Villepigue and Hugo Rivera. A great book, with dozens and dozens of pictures and descriptions of the basics of weight lifting. With the help of this book, you can focus on form from Day One. It includes a 14-day body sculpting workout, which is then extended through 6 weeks, so that you can see -- and experience -- what happens when you begin to add sets and weights. A great book!

Thought I'd pop back in to edit and add another recommendation for a second book by Victoria Moran, Creating a Charmed Life. Although not about maintenance, it's another wonderful book that might be a useful tool in the maintenance arsenal (it is in mine). Moran is a motivational speaker and writer, and in this book she talks about slowing down, nurturing your dreams, savoring simplicity, and nourishing your spirit. The format is the same as Fit From Within -- short chapters on a wide range of subjects.

Last edited by Airegrrrl; 01-03-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 12:29 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Hi all,

I just wanted to 2nd another of funniegrrl's recommendations, Passing for Thin by Frances Kuffel. This book was delivered yesterday, and I absolutely could not put it down until I finished it. It's all here, the humiliation of being fat, the elation at losing weight, the confusion about the new body, how she handles becoming a new person. She lost the weight through OA, but the actual plan plays a tiny role in this book. It's all about the experience, the support, the changes.

As I get further from obesity, the sharpness and the pain of the experience recedes. This book brought it all back for me. Why is that good? Because it reminds me exactly why I'm not going back. This book let me re-experience it, with having to actually relive it.
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #15  

There is a really interesting interview with Kuffel at Salon: http://archive.salon.com/mwt/feature.../index_np.html. You'll have to watch an ad to get a "day pass" to read it if you don't subscribe to the site.