Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 11:22 AM   #1  

Question Help with breakfast?

Help! Breakfast has NEVER been my strong point (Usually I'm not awake early enough to eat it. ) BUT I've been forced to be an early riser so I can get walk/run sessions in before the humidity and heat take over. Sooo...now I'm in need of healthy breakfast foods and I have NO idea where to start!
I saw a post about Special K, So I'll probably check that out, but does anyone have any "healthy" "cooked" breakfasts? Or any recipies for a homemade equivalent to a "balance bar" (I can't eat them...something in them gives my stomach problems :\)
I'm looking for things I can make, when I have leisure time, or things I can "grab" when I'm busy.
Old 06-21-2001, 12:46 AM   #2  

hey let me give you some of my tips . I have found that if I eat oatmill in the morning that it keeps me full and every time that I did it for a staight week I lost like 5-7 lbs any way I get the minute stuff and mix 1/2 cup to one cup water and microwave for1 min. then add 1/2 cup low fat milk and some sugar sub. for a very filling 4pts. also try some 2nd. nature eggs ( this is all I use now) they are very good . taste just like the real stuff . I think 1/2 cup is 1 or 2 pts. I simply poor mine right into a hot nonstick pan and cook (it must be 2pts.) add some light toast (2 slices for 1pt.) and try parkay spray butter ( sooooo good) melts and everything for only a 3pt. breakfast. one more tip you might like is the special k eggo waffles only 1 pt. each ,spray butter and wala good luck!!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2001, 01:08 AM   #3  

Thanks for the tip! I made myself an omelette with egg beaters, fat-free cheese, a teeny bit of ham, and a little potato this morning, and had two slices of unbuttered low-fat wheat toast with it...but i know i can't keep this up every morning!
Old 06-21-2001, 07:01 AM   #4  

I was here just a couple of months and 31 pounds ago asking the same question. I never had time for breakfast, so I would just swing through the McDonalds first thing every morning and get a sausage biscuit combo. I knew that had to stop, but what to eat, would it keep me full till lunch, and what about time? Well, I found that it takes me less than five minutes to eat a bowl of cereal or heat up an Eggo. The cereal I like most is Kellog’s, Smart Start. A serving is one cup. The cereal I like least is Special K Red Berries. No one in my family likes this one, even my two year old says its yucky. Some people really like it though. Two things about cereal, make sure sugar is not the first ingredient, and look at the serving size. It may be low in calories and fat, but that might be for only half a cup. There are a lot of web sites with recipes for low fat breakfasts. Here are a few which include bar recipes:

http://www.ajlc.waterloo.on.ca/Recipes/Breakfast/

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/971125a.cfm

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/food/...fast/index.htm

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/breakfast/

I hope that gets you started. One other thing I like for breakfast is french toast made with smushed up bananas instead of eggs. Taste like banana bread. Well, sort of. Good luck to you! You are on your way! Don’t let anything stop you.

231/200/170
Old 06-21-2001, 09:05 AM   #5  

Thanks! And especially thanks for the websites...I've been having a heck of a time finding healthy breakfast recipies, everything is geared toward DINNER!
Old 06-21-2001, 11:06 AM   #6  
Raised By Wolves

S/C/G: 335/270/170

Height: 5'8"

Talking Breakfast Blues....

I'm from NY and all we eat her for breakfast is a bagel with creamcheese (YUMMY). I find that sometimes I can get away with having a glass of OJ and a piece of fruit in the A.M. and it will tide me over till lunch.

My husband's the smart one - he's Yemeni and they make cooked fava beans (fresh not canned) with onion, tomato, salt & pepper, and eat it with pita bread. My GOD it fills you up and is healthly. When I have that for breakfast I don't want to eat again till late afternoon or dinner.

If you look at other countries and see what they eat you will be suprised. Their diet may work for you also.

I'm Italian (my parents came off the boat ) and we only had coffee and maybe a couple of slices of plain toast for Colazione (breakfast). Our main concern was Pomeriggio (a very big lunch).

In America we are geared to having a big breakfast; eggs, ham, toast, pancakes, all in one sitting. I try to get myself out of that frame of mind and eat something very small for breakfast.

Hope this helps.
Raff0519
Old 06-21-2001, 12:15 PM   #7  

I agree with small breakfast...to be honest, more often than not, eating in the a.m. makes me feel sort of nauseous(i know i butchered the spelling on that one!). I don't know why.

Seems like most people have been offering small breakfasts, so i'm well on my way to a huge grocery list
Old 06-21-2001, 11:12 PM   #8  

Default Not a breakfast fan either

I also get up and walk early before it gets too warm. I then make myself Cinnamon Bran Muffins with Kelloggs Extra Fiber Bran Cereal and have two for breakfast. The recipe makes a dozen so I only have to bake every six days. They are very filling. If the recipe isn't in the W W bread section it is in www.dottisweightlosszone.com message board recipe section under breads.
Old 06-21-2001, 11:22 PM   #9  

Default Endless Variety Quiche

I've tried a few variations of this. It is very good and very filling.

Endless Variation Quiche by MillieB
1 cup eggbeaters (2 pts.)
1 cup 1% or fat free cottage cheese (3 pts.)
cheese – any kind – various cheese have different amounts for different points – I use 4 pts. Worth of whatever kind of cheese
Optional – meat substitute – I’ve used sausage, bacon, turkey, gardenburgers, etc. – 3 pts.worth
Cooked vegetables cut into bite size pieces – about 3 cups worth or a 12 oz. Package of chopped spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Drain whatever you’re using well – I press the water out of the spinach or broccoli
Seasonings – again, experiment, nutmeg is good with spinach, you can add chili powder, etc.
Mix it all in a bowl and pour it into a cooking spray sprayed 9 inch pie pan or an 8 inch square pan. Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the center is pretty firm and puffy. (It will un-puff when it cools down) This whole thing is 12 points if you use the meat option, 9 if you don’t, and makes 4 good size servings. Here’s some of the options I’ve tried:
Spinach with bacon, feta cheese
Mushrooms with cheddar
Sun dried tomatoes (soaked and chopped first), mushroom and zucchini with pepper jack
Shredded zucchini, Greek style garden burger, and more feta
Blue cheese with broccoli
There are just a ton of variations, it’s a great way to use up bits and pieces of leftovers. It's great hot or cold or for a picnic. I usually make one on Sundays for breakfast four days a week - it's still good on Friday, just wrap it well and refrigerate after it cools down.
Instead of meat sub, I'll use 3 points worth of olives. All different sorts - the variation I'm making this weekend is roasted peppers, spanish olives and cheddar cheese. You get a suprizingly large amount of sliced olives for 3 points and somehow it seems very decadent. Also, artichoke hearts are good with kalamata olives -
Old 06-21-2001, 11:26 PM   #10  

I keep adding to my 'breakfast foods' folder! Thanks!
Old 06-21-2001, 11:27 PM   #11  

Default Cream Cheesy Eggs

This is quick and easy and sticks with me.

Cream Cheesy Eggs Total of 6 points or 4 if you use Egg Beaters or egg whites

2 hard boiled eggs (4 points)
2 Tablespoons of low-fat or non-fat cream cheese (1 point)

Hard boil eggs.
While still warm, mash together with cream cheese.
Spread on 2 pieces of Orrowwheat Lite Toast (1 point)

In place of the eggs, I've nuked 1/2 cup of egg beaters or cartons of egg whites (1/2 cup = 2 points) (Be sure to spray the bowl with Pam or it will be hard to wash - I like the buttery Pam) and mashed with the cream cheese. The texture is only slightly different and the taste difference is negligible and makes in a satisfying and low point 4 point " stick-with-me kind of breakfast. Total of 4 points.

As a time saver, you could boil several eggs at one time, then just nuke and add the cream cheese when you want them.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:48 PM   #12  

Diane---sounds like a healthier version of egg salad sandwich! And I love those, so I'll be sure to try it
Old 06-25-2001, 11:30 AM   #13  

Breakfasts that do not require much preparation:

* bagel with cream cheese
* 2 waffles with cream cheese
* 2 waffles with jam
* toast with jam
* prepared pancakes (they sell those in a grocery store next to waffles)
* cereal
Old 06-25-2001, 01:12 PM   #14  

Post Fruit With Attitude

I like to eat nothing but fruit in the morning, especially in the summer. This habit has been a tremendous boost to my weight loss. To keep from getting bored and to feel like I'm having a treat I like to have fruit shakes, fruit "puddings" ...
I found a site that has a lot of healthy fruit recipes that I've been having fun with - here are the URL's.

http://www.undiet1.com/recipes/fruitrecipes.html
http://www.undiet1.com/recipes/fruitshakes.html
http://www.undiet1.com/recipes/fruitpuddings.html

Have fun with them!
Old 06-25-2001, 01:23 PM   #15  

Thanks for the suggestions, my breakfast folder on my computer is getting "chubby!"
Closed Thread