Old 12-10-2004, 03:09 PM   #1  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Red face Help! Positive thoughts needed!

Hello, everyone. I just got back from getting a CT scan, more chest x-rays, and more blood tests after a visit at my doc's, and apparently there's cause for concern. It could be nothing -- that's my hope, anyway! -- but I went back to the doc for further development on my already enlarged lymph node. I've had one for a while now, and my white blood counts were through the roof, apparently....then I started having night sweats and then, a SECOND enlarged lymph node right next to the first one...and then both of them got a LOT bigger seemingly overnight. And then they became tender and a little painful. Soooo, I went to the doc today and he sent me immediately to get a cat scan, and the other tests redone, since my previous results were now a month and a half old. And he tried to get me into the surgeon's today to get the ball rolling on getting a biopsy on and removal of the lymph nodes, which he says are huge. It really seemed like that second node just appeared overnight, and then they both just exploded.

I wasn't really concerned by the night sweats -- they just didn't register as any big thing in my life until he asked me specifically if I was having any. As for the white blood cell count, they were super high a month and a half ago, but I didn't do anything about them, even though he was concerned. I know, I know.

So now here we are, and he said it could be nothing important, or it could be lymphoma or a few other scary-sounding conditions I didn't absorb and can't remember. If you know me at all, you'll know already that I'll be researching different possibilities, but I'm really going to try to control myself and concentrate on not getting too far ahead of myself.

Anyway, I'm not freaking out, but I'm concerned enough to ask for you guys to send some positive vibes my way.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

OH NO SARAH! you're definitely in my thoughts. I hope everything turns out negative!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Sarah my thoughts are with you. Please keep me updated and if you ever want to just talk emaill and I can give you a few ways to get in touch with me. My prayers are with you.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

You're definitely in my thoughts. Kudos to you for getting it checked out.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:37 PM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

(((HUGS))) How scary. Just keep positive. No sense in worrying until you know what you are dealing with. Could be nothing. Please keep us posted. We're right here with you!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:55 PM   #6  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Sarah ~ good thoughts, prayers and hugs coming your way.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:28 PM   #7  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Aww, thanks you guys.

Well, I called the doc -- he'd sent me right across the street to the hospital to get all the tests, and then he came after me to check on me. (What a sweetheart, right?) It turned out that he didn't find me, but he did find the surgeon, and together they looked at my cat scan results.

It's not good. Apparently I have more enlarged lymph nodes "all over the place" -- he said there was a "necklace" of them all along my clavicle. Bottom line, he said we're hoping for Sarcoidosis, but there's a strong possibility it's lymphoma. And if it's lymphoma, we'll figure out what "level," apparently, which will dictate the course of treatment: chemotherapy, bone marrow transplant, radiation, etc. If it's Sarcoidosis, then apparently there really isn't a treatment, but it can come and go for the rest of your life, with different symptoms and conditions accompanying it -- it basically causes inflammation of tissues and frequently affects the lungs and eyes.

It seems that now the biopsy has been expedited to Monday morning, instead of talking on Monday and then scheduling it for soon thereafter.

All prayers are welcome. I'm not a happy girl, and really scared. Lotsa tears. (He even prescribed a mild tranquilizer to get me through the weekend without having a heart attack, that nice man!) Poor Lorraine is scared out of her mind too, but trying to be strong for me. Thanks again for your responses -- you guys are so sweet.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:38 PM   #8  
Meg

Sarah, my dear! How scary this must be for you – I hope helps a little to know that you have a family here at 3FC who loves you and is behind you all the way. You are a strong and determined woman and I know you're going to deal with whatever news you get with grace and a steely resolve to beat whatever it may be. Sarah, you’ve given yourself a huge gift of better health over the past nine months and it will pay off for you as you deal with whatever may lie in the future. Hugs and prayers for you.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:51 PM   #9  
Jennifer

Oh, Sarah -- I just logged on for the first time in a while, and I was so sorry to read this.

Keep us posted and (I feel weird telling YOU this, as you're probably the most positive person I've ever met!) KEEP YOUR SPIRITS UP. I know the "options" seem scary, but I've seen too many mistaken diagnoses not to have a lot of hope.

You and Lorraine will certainly be in my thoughts this weekend. We love you!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:15 PM   #10  
beautiful

OMG i am so sorry!! please keep us updated. i'll be thinking about you.
big huge hugs!
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Sarah I've never given bone marrow but if you need it I'll be more than willing to donate.
Thank care =)
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

SARAH!!!! your doc is right to be concerned. you're doing the right thing by going through with all this. you have some of the best docs in the country in maryland, so you be sure to get the care you need....

you sound like you're in excellent hands here... warm thoughts. prayers. healing energy. you can beat this...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:40 PM   #13  
Abby's Mommy

(((HUGS))) (((POSITIVE THOUGHTS))) (((LOTS OF PRAYERS)))

You are definatly being prayed for dear Sarah! And Lorraine, too. Please don't be too scared, it sounds like you're in good hands with a doctor who seems to really care about you. We are all thinking about you!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:51 PM   #14  

Lots and lots of hugs coming at you!! I am hoping for good news-I am glad they have expedited the biopsy, and am awful glad that your dr gave you somehting to help with the nerves.

Sarah-Please pm me any time or email anytime!!

{{{{HUGS}}}}
Jazzmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:41 PM   #15  

Dear Wonderful Sarah,

You are a strong woman who has done some wonderfully healthy things - you can face and fight whatever comes your way. I am so amazed at how quickly you were able to get a cat scan - we have a one year wait which is devastating for health concerns. You are early stages even just being a month into this and that is a very positive thing. I am thinking of you and Lorraine. One day at a time (or minute if need be). You have a wonderful group of medical people around you...wise and sensitive. You also have us and all good and positive thoughts and prayers are coming your way. Embrace them...

With love and warm thoughts,

Jenaya
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote