Old 12-10-2004, 09:44 AM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default 20 ways to win at losing weight (#6)

6. Experiment to find your own diet. Some foods are obvious no-no's: trans fats, processed food, white sugar, and excessive alcohol. Beyond that, though, everyone's body is different, and just because a diet book is on the best-seller list doesn't mean its program will work for you. "Some people thrive on a strictly high-protein diet, while others do great with fruits, grains, and beans," says Jillian. "You've got to ask yourself questions: When I eat meat, do I feel sluggish or agitated? When I eat fruit, do I feel satiated? Sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error to find the right combination of foods. And as a trainer, I've learned that you also have to take human fraility into account. If you can't bear the idea of giving up bread, choose whole grain and try to eat it with some protein. "The protein, she explains, will slow the breakdown of the bread so its carbs won't cause your blood sugar to spike and then-as so oftenb happens-crash, making you hungry again for something starchy.

My thoughts: I think alot of us are searching for "the answer" eat this and that, don't eat those and you will lose weight. I know that the minute someone is really losing, I always think (or ask) what are you eating? Like they might have found the cure! The same thing doesn't work for everyone. You have to make your own way. You also have to find a way to make it a lifestyle. Make it something that you can live with forever. I have heard before that you should always try and eat some protein with your carbs because the carbs raises your blood sugar and the protein helps keep it there.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:42 AM   #2  
PamPSM644

I agree. I started with carbs but changed to cals which is working sooo well for me.I also look at cal for everything I buy now and plan acordingly. I realize that keeping track of cals will be a lifetime comitment even after I lose all the weight so I can maintain .
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:20 AM   #3  

I agree with this one too. I started with Lowcarb because I heard success stories- so yes, searching for "the answer" or the cure. but, I haven't switched because the low carb is working for me; there were 2 women in the diet class that had to switch to low cal though because they weren't getting the results.
KandiceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

IMO--this one should be #1. If you can't find something that works for you, you will give up and more than likely gain all you've lost back. I'm sure when you head over to the maintainer's forum, they will tell you they found their own plan and followed it. It could be they started out on Weight Watchers, southbeach, atkins, etc. but modified it to fit their lifestyle.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:35 AM   #5  
missaprylj

Yah, I think this one may be "the secret" too. The truth is almost all "diets" work. They just don't work for every person who goes on them.

Wouldn't it be great if we could just *know* what works best for us?
Old 12-11-2004, 01:27 PM   #6  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

I agree that you have to find what works for you. But something that I wasn’t expecting is that what works for me changes – not day-to-day or even week-to-week. But every month or two I have to start tweaking again to find what will work for me. (Still tweaking, which helps explain my 3-month plateau – my self-abusive November didn’t help either).

Melissa
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 01:58 AM   #7  
Crazy Canuck

(((Mel))) on the 3 month plateau and self-abusive month - been there, done that and grew out of the t-shirt

When I decided to get down to business I chose Weight Watchers because it seemed the most nutritionally balanced and least difficult plan to follow long term (plus I enjoy the social aspect). I'll admit last year to switching to Atkins for a couple of months to shake up my body a bit and even though I lost weight quickly, I knew it wasn't something I could maintain (even though I have a friend who jumped on the bandwagon back in the early 80s and continues to ride it today).

We all may have many things in common, but we're also different in many ways, so logic dictates that the same plan won't work for everyone. Like so many have said, all diets work if you stick with them - the secret is to find the one that YOU can stick with like glue for the long haul.

Last edited by Jillegal; 12-12-2004 at 02:02 AM.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 12:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

This is definitely a good one, I'm always amazed at how different everyone's bodies are. I have a friend who did weight watchers, ate bread, pasta, sugar, and drank coffee, and for me, thats a deadly combo. But she managed to drop 100 pounds by just counting her points, and eating more often. I tried counting points, and was eating the same things she was (we work together and started eating 3 meals a day together), I actually managed to put on 2 pounds that week.

I don't know that there is a #1 answer for anyone, I think a whole bunch of factors have to come together, including the right mindset, for the weight to come off and stay off.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:32 PM   #9  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

When I saw Jillian on The Biggest Loser some of what she said was that it all boils down to calories eaten vs calories burn, it was simple math. I believe that I really and truly do BUT I also believe that some calories are better than others. For example if I had to eat 1200 cals a day and I went to McD's and had a big Mac combo and a ice cream maybe that would add up to 1200 cals (I don't know for sure I"m just trying to make an example, I'm certain it would be easy to eat 1200 cals in one meal at McD's) but 1)that is all I have to eat for the whole day and 2)how much of that meal was fat, carbs,protein, vitamins, minerals etc that I need to keep my body healthy. Also you have to take into account how your body reacts when you eat certain foods ie what happens if you eat a carrot vs a slice of bread vs a grilled chicken breast. So really my thinking is to take into account your calories and just make them count, make them healthy.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:54 AM   #10  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Speaking of the biggest loser, although we don't know who is following their diet more strictly, look at Ryan. I think the combo he is on works REALLY well for him. The others are losing too, just not as quickly. I think that's a great example of how one plan works better for some.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:31 AM   #11  
Starting over Spring 2011

Height: 5'10"

I finally woke up and started reading these. This one is such a key for me, and I am really grappling with it. I, too, look to other people who are losing successfully to see what they are doing. Actually, I think it is good to get ideas from other people---but there are many different paths to success. And you DON'T have to be perfect. I have a backlog of experiences using Weight Watchers, and other programs, to try and lose weight. I was on WW when they used to really push that if you were not on their program, you could never be successful. I was young at the time and believed them, so I felt like such a failure when I couldn't stick to their plan. I lost the most successfully and kept it off for quite awhile, when I followed my own plan. I gained weight in the last couple of years due to medicine I take and huge life stress. But I STILL want someone to tell me the magic answer.

I think finding your own way is really the only way to be successful over the long haul. Your own way could be WW, or some other plan, if it works for you. I think things have to be adjusted over time for lots of people. Some people do seem to do well just sticking to one program, and that is great. Recently I have started to think, I could try different ideas---e.g., try one thing for a day or week or month, and then do something else. As long as I keep my eyes on my goal. Just my two cents worth, not that I have this thing down, by any means.
tkdkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:37 PM   #12  

This is so true. Everybody's body is different and 'One size' doesn't fit all despite what the clothing tag says. I cut out white sugar (in addition to reduced calories and exercise). I use splenda whenever I have a cup of coffee or tea, which isn't often and that's it. Can I just tell you that I feel tons better. My blood sugar is more stable and I don't have such wild mood swings (except when I'm hungry.) And so far I've lost 5 lbs in just the few weeks I've doing this. In a few months I'll probably cut out things made with white flour because white flour doesn't hold a lot of nutritional value and I prefer to get a little more bang for my buck.
I read somewhere that when you cut calories your body eventually gets used to the decrease in calories plus when you lose weight you don't need as many calories for your body to function. That's why you get plateaus. Every so often you have to shake things up a bit, like eating different foods, cutting calories or even eating a little more calories, trying different exercises etc. I'm working on a plan to incorporate this idea.
dharmaspell is offline   Reply With Quote