Old 12-09-2004, 01:59 PM   #1  

Unhappy My son was hit by a car

On the 7th my son was hit by a car walking home from school. He was crossing a very busy road and decided not to use the crosswalk so he could get home faster. He wanted to hurry up so he could go to the gym with me. When I got to the scene he was in the middle of the road and the paramedics were there. His leg was badly broken and his ankle was turned in a direction that was totally abnormal. At the ER I was allowed to look at his X-Ray and the doctor told me it was a very bad break of the tibia. They could not do surgery that night because he had fracture blisters and very bad swelling. So, in about a week or so he is going to have to have surgery where they will screw his bones back in place. The break is right on the growth plate and the doctor says there is a possiblility that he could have a limp if he grows much more as the growth plate is damaged and will not continue to grow because of that. They also told me that the bone came very, very close to breaking out of the skin when the accident happened.

I consider our family very blessed and lucky. It could have been so much worse. But, as a mother, and seeing your child laying in the road, there is nothing more frightening. I still see it in my head almost all day long. I don't know, I think I am having a hard time dealing with it. I can't even begin to explain to you guys how I feel because there is just no way to describe it. I can't begin to put into words my emotions at this time. Thanks for listening. I really needed to tell my story. I hope that it helps me a little bit.

Alex, my son, is going to be laid up for a good bit. He will miss all this week of school and then next week. On the 20th starts Christmas break. I'm hoping that he might be able to go back to school, if the surgery goes well, on the 3rd of January when classes resume. He's in a great deal of pain and it's really hard for me to see him go through this. I think even harder is trying not to show emotions that will scare him or worry him. So, I'm doing my best to act "normal". The disabled veterans organization donated us a wheelchair for him so that we can get him in and out of the house. He can not walk on crutches. I thought that was very nice of them. How do you show the kind of gratefulness that you feel in words when words could not possibly convey the sincerity of your feelings? I did not know what we were going to do to get him back and forth from the hospital if we could not get a wheelchair. I'm hoping that each day gets a little bit easier for him. The doctor has told us that he will have a great deal of post-operative pain after his surgery. I know that we will get through this just fine. Just right now in the moment it is hard.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

OMG, Tammy! I'm so sorry. How horrible for your entire family. I can't even imagine the pain he feels, and the horror you felt as you saw him lying on the pavement. It's certainly a parent's worst nightmare.

Kudos to that wonderful organization that donated the wheelchair.

Please take time to take care of yourself, too, during this stressful period. You'll need all the strength you have to help him and the rest of your family deal with this. {{{Hugs}}}
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:08 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

OMG!! I am so sorry. What a terrible thing to have to go through. I can only imagine the emotions that you must be going through!!! How old is Alex?

I will say a prayer for a speedy and painless recovery.

We are here for you!!! (((HUGS)))
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:13 PM   #4  
PamPSM644

I am so sorry. I went though this same thing. My son,a couple years ago, was run over by a truck in a crosswalk in LA. Doctors told me if he'd been 20lbs lighter he'd of died. His hip was broken in 3 places and he had to lay in a bed for a week until Ceders Sini could send him to a county hospial. By then he had to have the bones rebroken and set with pins in a 15 hour surgery. It took 6 months to recover and he still has pain.It was the most terrifing event of my life.Seeing him in agony was horrible because I couldn't help him.You have my love and prayers.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:13 PM   #5  
Crazy Canuck

What a traumatic event, Tammy! Thankfully he'll recover, but its terrible that he'll experience such pain - its so much worse when things like this happen to children. Wish him a quick recovery and let him know there are strangers out there thinking of him. Yes, I can imagine your horror and feeling of helplessness seeing your child like that. It will take a long time to get that image out of your mind - indeed a Mum's worst nightmare. I'm sure this has been a nasty shock for your entire family and I wish you all the quickest recovery possible.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:27 PM   #6  

Wow-I am so sorry this happened!! Sending healing thoughts
Jazzmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #7  

He's 14 years old. A very up-beat teenager. He's coping with this far better than I am at the moment. They had to "set" the bones into place three times that night. Each time they stuck a huge needle into his foot and manipulated it around for a good 5 minutes. It was almost unbearable to watch he was in so much pain. That was supposed to help pain but once then started yanking on the foot to set the bones into place his scream was primal. It killed me. I can still hear that scream in my head.

Pam, you hit the nail right on the head. Not being able to do anything is the hardest part. Being helpless. Not being able to make the pain go away.

You ladies are to good to me...*hugs*
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Wow Tammy, thats scary. I wish you all the strength in the world to get thru this, and remember.. we are all here for you if you need anything!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:30 PM   #9  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Tammy,

I'm sorry to hear about your son's accident. It is so hard when you want so badly to help them and can not. You all are in my thoughts ~ sending prayers and hugs your way!!

Take care
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Oh gosh Tammy! That's terrible.. I'm so sorry to hear that happened. I'm glad that it soundsl ike he's dealing with it well. Big hugs to you and your family, and especially your son! Sheesh, what timing too
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:08 PM   #11  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Tammy, I'm very sorry to hear about this, it is a terrible thing to happen. Best wishes to you and your family and special prayers for your son.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

OMG Tammy, I'm so sorry to hear this happened. I couldn't imagine the emotions you are going through. (((BIG HUG))). I hope that is pain will subside soon.
As for gratitude for the organization, I know around here they are needing donations all the time. You may, once things get back to normal, volunteer for them if you can't make a monetary or item donation.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:46 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

ACK!!!!!!! thoughts and prayers for you and your family. good heavens!!!!! what an awful thing.

and PLEASE take care of yourself. he needs you. really and truly.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:51 PM   #14  

Wow Tammy.. I'm so sorry to hear what you guys are going through. You're in my thoughts
dorcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 05:17 PM   #15  

Oh Tammy, I'm so sorry this happened! I can't even imagine the horror you must have felt when you saw him laying there. Or the continued horror every time the image flashes through your mind. Thank goodness he is going to be alright! You are in my thoughts, take care.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote