View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 12:06 PM   #21
African

No name companies ... hmmm

Nestle currently working on their entry into the diet market would be very suprized to hear them labeled as a no name company, I stressed in my response above that it is not a wonder cure - but i see that once again only the negative aspects suitable for your convenience were pulled out and the chance I gave the public or the mods to prove me wrong was edited.

Well I suppose we all have a right to our oppinion, as do the thousands of people who are saying that Hoodia does work!

See the story below, also recent discoveries have shown that it is not only the so called "P57" that is the active ingredient but rather a synergistic combination of other alkaloids, thus no wonder they could not make it into a pill!

Phytopharm near deal on slimming aid from cactus
December 9, 2003
Reuters
Mark Potter and Lara Smith
LONDON - British drugs-from-plants firm Phytopharm Plc was cited as saying on Tuesday it was in talks with four major food companies about making an appetite-suppressing snack from its drug programme based on a rare South African cactus.
Chief Executive Richard Dixey was quoted as telling Reuters, "We anticipate having indicative bids by the end of January."
The story says that Phytopharm's shares plunged last July when Pfizer Inc, the world's biggest drugmaker, dropped plans to make a medicine to treat obesity from Phytopharm's P57 programme, which is derived from the rare Hoodia cactus found in the Kalahari.
The Hoodia has been used by Bushmen for thousands of years to stave off hunger during hunting trips. The San people, or Bushmen, are due to get a share of profits if a product based on the Hoodia makes it to market.
Phytopharm's Dixey said the difficulties of manufacturing a plant-extract to meet pharmaceutical standards meant P57 had a better future in the $3 billion-a-year meal replacement market.