South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 10:10 PM   #1  

Default Metabolic syndrome

Hi everybody. I happened to catch an interesting piece of news on a show called "Balance" (shown on CTV in Canada). It was a discussion about metabolic syndrome (formerly known as Syndrome X). The major idea is that an increasing number of people are suffering from insulin resistance, the "pre-diabetes" condition described in the SBD book, with symptoms such as weight gain around the middle, increased "bad" cholesterol, decreased "good" cholesterol. This is exactly what was happening to me 2 years ago! My cholesterol went from a healthy 4.2 to a bad 6.2 (bad ratio of LDL to HDL) and I gained approximately 25 lbs. I told my doctor that I couldn't understand why I had gained so much weight, as I hadn't changed my eating habits and I work 60 hours a week (mostly standing up). Fortunately my doctor (aware of my family history of diabetes) fit the pieces together and suggested SBD.

The doctor on the TV show didn't mention SB by name, but talked about avoiding refined carbohydrates, especially for 2 or 3 weeks, and then slowly adding "good" carbs back into your diet, combined with exercise as a way of reversing this condition.

My point is that I was glad to hear that there was a medical explanation for SOME of my weight/health problem (I am, after all, responsible for what I put in my mouth). I just thought others might be interested to hear about this.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:57 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Great info, Chef! Thank you!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:04 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Thanks for the information... very interesting!!
Closed Thread