Old 11-30-2004, 10:09 PM   #1  
beautiful

Default i feel like i'm losing control

i've come to the conclusion that the holidays really suck for dieters. here lately i have gotten off track and i am having one **** of a time trying to get back on. i was going to today... but didn't. i did well with the eating but i didn't food journal so i don't know for sure that i did well but i feel like i did well. i have plans to get back on again tomorrow.

another problem is that i am having doubts about my ability to lose this weight. i know i can. I KNOW I CAN. so why can't i? please tell me i'm not the only one feeling this way.

i have lost all motivation for the time being. i gained 3 pounds over thanksgiving and then another 2 over the weekend... tomorrow is my offical weigh day so i'll know for sure what kind of damage i did.

today was my son's birthday, last wed was my daughter's birthday so that celebrating didn't help either...... grrrrrr. i need a swift kick in the *** and a sweet pep talk if someone can manage.
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:45 PM   #2  

I know exactly how you feel. Between Thanksgiving and then our anniversary I too gained. I think the key to it is just know tomorrow is another day and start fresh. We can do this .. it just takes time. Hang in there I'm with you. Hugs Kelly
KellyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 12:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

When you find someone to give you a kick in the ***... how about you send them my way too? I've put on 5 pounds! And I can't do up my pants anymore.. I gotta laugh about that.. maybe it's time to think about maintaining until this crazy christmas stuff is over? I dunno... we gotta get our stuff together.. if you need anything Shelly, let me know.. it's going to happen, just a matter of time! Take care hun!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:45 AM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

Hang in there, Shelly (Kelly, Aimee, kjk, et al). I know sometimes its overwhelmingly difficult, but try not to become too discouraged. You CAN do it! Take it from someone who knows exactly what you're feeling.

As for coping with the holidays, here's my experience. Christmas of 2002 I was only a few months into the weight loss journey and still had a lot to lose, yet I managed (through sheer determination) to lose weight over the holidays! Compare that to Christmas of 2003 when I was near goal, yet went out of control and gained (and continued to gain...). What did I learn? Well, that Christmas of 2002 I felt great, even though I was still obese - I felt upbeat, healthier than I had in years and quite proud of myself. A year later I was ALMOST where I wanted to be weightwise, yet I ended the year (and started the new one) feeling sluggish, bloated and ashamed because I had allowed myself to lapse into a food-fest free for all.

I will take from those two experiences in dealing with the upcoming holidays. Sure, it'll be tough to avoid temptation, but if I can keep in mind how I'll feel in the long run, I hope that'll get me through it relatively unscathed. So, dear people, remember that no matter where you are in the journey, you can still feel great about yourself once the holidays are over. How about we all choose to feel great?
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:36 AM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Shelly - I don't know if it's the time of year or just trying to lose weight in general. I got up this morning, did the treadmill for 25 min. Had a healthy breakfast and packed a healthy lunch. But here I sit dying for some cookies from the breakroom. WHY? I am not hungry. I just want them. They will taste good. Never mind that they will derail me completely, I just do. That's just crazy. People say this isn't willpower, but right now it is for me. I have to love myself enough not to have the cookies. It is a complete addiction for me.

The holiday times are harder. Lucky for me, people here at work don't bring in much junk. They are really a salad crew and eat pretty healthy for the most part. But just looking at December I have 10 planned functions already that will revolve around food. My goal is be be on plan 100% when I am not at a function, and when possible be on plan 100% despite the function and then indulge a little on the other function days.

Tonight we are having pizza and cake to celebrate my BIL's 30th birthday. I PLAN on bringing a chicken breast and green beans (I know they will have a salad). There are too many other events going on this month to blow it on Dec 1st.

The holidays will always come and go. I can't (won't) wake up Jan 1st heavier than I am now. Every day is an opportunity to inch myself towards success.

Hmmm, funny, I don't want the cookies anymore. cool!!!

Maybe this would be a great month to join the Monthly point challenge? What do you think Shelly?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:31 AM   #6  
PamPSM644

Honey,you might of lost a couple battles but you can still win the war.Some trouble staying with it this time of year is expected and we are all in that same boat. Your not alone here,Sailor. The way I got back on track was 1 meal at a time. I didn't plan ahead farther then my next meal.Don't beat yourself up. Feeling defeated is one of our triggers to allow ourselves to eat.Half of our work to get our weight under control is in our attitude. Hug.Hug.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:37 AM   #7  

I felt like that after Thanksgiving too. It's not a happy feeling.

So my new tradition starting this year is being a very strict dieter in December. I have three party days; Dec 11, Dec. 20, Dec 25. Those I am eating very moderately, the rest of the time, I'm on a DIET! Not a "plan" not a "program" a DIET. That's what they all are anyhow.

It's easier that way because all the "holiday food" is just completely off limits. I don't even LIKE Sees Candy but if someone gives it to me I find myself picking at it this time of year. No more, it's totaly out of the question cuz recreational eating is out of the picture....I'm just thinking I can start 2005 feeling out half as fat as I am now or twice as fat, and I just want to give myself that New Year's gift.

The truth is that eating all the extra food that's seems to just pop up all over the place would just make me miserable. And I don't even really like it that much anyway!

I've been on the Cabbage Soup Diet since after Thanksgiving and it's made me feel a lot more in control and a lot thinner already. I don't really recommend anything that strict for everyone but whatever you are doing try to do it really well for the next week and you will get your footing back.

If your house and the holiday chores are getting you down I suggest sitting down with a list and just plowing through it -- I've sure gotten a lot done while on that CSD because there just isn't a lot of time spent eating!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 11:06 AM   #8  

Ok Ladies, Here's ya some @ss kicking. No sugar coating here. Just think of how you are going to feel if you continue to gain weight. Like complete crap!! Worse than you feel now. I know you don't want that. The motivation is lost because you are gaining weight. ****, nobody is very motivated when they are not doing so well. Aimee, do you remember what it felt like to get into those pants? I'm sure it felt a whole lot better than realizing that they don't fit now. You have to concentrate on the positive feelings you get when you are losing as opposed to your negative thoughts when you have a slight gain.

Ok, now for the softer part. Both of you can get through this. You are in a slump right now that is getting you no where quick. Weight loss is not a perfect science and we all go through some rough waters. So, I'm throwing you out the flotation device, time to get back on track. I always find by doing some exercise that really starts to get me going again. Just like if you were starting over take small steps and before to long you will be on course again. You all can do this. You have already lost some weight to prove it. I'm rooting for ya!!
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:21 PM   #9  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Good advice here. I too have planed events where I will indulge in some of the holiday food. I have managed to keep it to 3. Thanksgiving, Dinner with friends this weekend and Christmas Eve. The rest of the time is on plan all the way. I messed up a little this weekend but that does not mean I have to turn it into I might as well wait untill the new year. That kind of waiting will become extra weight that none of us need.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

((BIG HUG)) You know you can do this. You are worthy and you will kick your weight to the curb. You and the others have been given great advice.

Here is my goals for the month of December:
1) to do at least 10 minutes on stepper at work each day (will be increasing to 15 in a couple of weeks)
2) to stay between 1200-1600 calories a day, except on those predetermined celebration days.
3) On the predetermined celebration days, have very light snacks/ meals throughout the day (around 400-500 calories total)
4) Get in at least 30 minutes of some form of exercise 5 days a week. What's been helping me on this front is just walking while watching TV. I've logged enough miles on the WATP tapes to know about what pace I need to go so I walk while watching my fav programs.
5) THIS IS MY MOST IMPORTANT SO I'M SAVING IT FOR LAST: Plan, plan, plan. I know that sometimes is easier said than done, but each Monday morning at work I plan what I'm going to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the following week. I also make out a list of acceptable snacks that I may enjoy throughout the day.

After being in a slump for oh 4 months or so I'm finally ready to work on getting more weight off and seeing the 220s, something I haven't seen in 10 years.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:38 PM   #11  
beautiful

Default thanks everyone!

i'm feeling better now. i bought a shirt yesterday in a size 22-24.. i got it home and tried it on and should have got an 18-20. i weighed on wednesday and it wasn't as bad as i thought. only 3.4 instead of the 5 or 6 i expected. i'm still a little off and it will take me a while to get back where i was but i have been doing a lot better the last few days. i'm so thankful for all of you.
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote