South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 11:58 AM   #1  
FOXYKITTY

Default The Scale is Stuck

Hi Beach Girls,
I need some advice. I started P2 last week after 3 weeks of Phase 1. and added 2 good carbs a day. A slice of whole wheat in the AM and a piece of fruit for lunch. The rest of the day was foods on the Phase 1. My weight loss has stalled after the first 2 weeks ( I lost 8lbs) and now nothing. I am wondering if this diet isn't for me? I have stuck to the program (even through Thanksgiving) and I am getting somewhat disappointed with the scale. I see the results you girls are posting and honestly I would be happy to see 2lbs a week come off. I have not been exercising, do you think that is the difference? Your thoughts and comments are welcomed. I really want to take this weight off and have a trip to Hawaii planned for May. This is a work trip and I dread the thought of going to the Beach in all my "glory" in front of the work folks. Anyway thanks in advance, your diet buddy FoxyKitty
Old 11-28-2004, 12:21 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Check out the advice for Phase II in the FAQ section. Two carbs added per day may not be for you. Of course, exercise will help!
Old 11-28-2004, 01:56 PM   #3  

Default Don't give up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxykitty
I started P2 last week after 3 weeks of Phase 1. and added 2 good carbs a day. A slice of whole wheat in the AM and a piece of fruit for lunch. The rest of the day was foods on the Phase 1. My weight loss has stalled after the first 2 weeks ( I lost 8lbs) and now nothing. I am wondering if this diet isn't for me? I have stuck to the program (even through Thanksgiving) and I am getting somewhat disappointed with the scale. I see the results you girls are posting and honestly I would be happy to see 2lbs a week come off. I have not been exercising, do you think that is the difference? Your thoughts and comments are welcomed.
Hey Foxy! I quoted quite a bit of your message above, because I want to touch on a number of things there.

First off... your question about exercise. It really astounds me how North American society chooses to ignore the fact that exercise is a MUST!! Yes, you can definitely lose weight through diet alone. Absolutely. But, virtually EVERYONE gets to a point where diet isn't enough -- in order to lose more fat (and eventually get a leaner, harder body), you need exercise. The fact that your loss has been so slow and limited, I would suggest, is directly related to the fact that you haven't been exercising. Even just a 30 minute brisk walk every day would help tremendously, but obviously a combo of light weights and cardio would be even better.

Also, I have a feeling that you added too many carbs too quickly. After Ph1, you're technically supposed to add only ONE carb a day -- meaning, either your piece of w/w toast or your piece of fruit, but not both. You have to remember that it adds up over the course of a week. So, try scaling back the good carbs to only one a day this week and see what happens. Then if you do keep losing, try adding the second carb. If it stalls, then you know you need to scale back to only one a day for it to work.

You mentioned that you've only lost 8lbs. in the past month that you've been on this plan, and that you would like to have results like some of the other women posting on here. I think the one thing that we ALL have to remember is that every single one of us is different, and my results are not going to be exactly like anyone else's, period. There are SO MANY variables that go into it. Age, height, body-type, metabolism... you name it. For me, I'm short and have a small frame, and relatively speaking, not very much to lose. So it's VERY slow for me. It might be the same for you. But take heart: the slower you take it off, the more likely you will KEEP it off.

Now, I know you want to be hot and sexy for Hawaii next year. If you are committed to this, you WILL get there -- but ONLY if you have patience. So many people who I know in real life, have started this plan and expected to get to goal within a month. That's just not realistic -- not for ANY plan, whether it be low-carb, low-fat or otherwise. Plus, it's not safe.

Keep your chin up. The fact that you have stuck to it this long, and have been able to find things to eat that you enjoy and so on -- says that this IS a good plan for you. A lot of people aren't creative or committed enough to be able to do the first two weeks -- it's VERY challenging! Give yourself a big hand, and know that 8 lbs. is a great accomplishment.

Try some of the tips here (exercise!!), and you should see a change. Because in the end, it doesn't matter what plan you go onto, the principle is the same: you need to eat healthy foods and you need to exercise, because weight loss is all about calories in vs. calories burned.

Good luck, we're always here for encouragement!!
Old 11-28-2004, 11:55 PM   #4  
i luv my dog!

Default Yeah - what she said!

Quote:
I would be happy to see 2lbs a week come off.
Yes, we all would.

The above post by Kim said everything very well.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:28 PM   #5  

I hear where you're coming from Foxykitty, but hang in there. I agree with what the others have said. As much as I love fruit, I still try not to eat too much, and maybe you could try some old-fashioned oatmeal or a granier bread. Also, keep drinking lots of water, and I will say that I think diet drinks sabotage weight loss. I love Pepsi, and during the summer was consuming a couple of cans of diet Pepsi a day and my weight loss came to a standstill. After cutting it out, the weight started coming off again. Not absolute proof, but something to consider.

In any case, stick with it!
Old 11-30-2004, 03:31 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Foxy, Kim said this very well! Everyone is different, and you have to experiment with the carbs to find what works for your body. Some people here have only been able to add a carb every other day. Some eat tons each day and still lose. Try going down to one carb each day for a full week and see how that goes. Don't forget to drink lots of water!

Add excercise, and know that lifting weights will help immensely! Check out the Exercise and Ladies Who Lift forums to get more help on what types of exercise and lifting you can do. There's a lot out there, and you'd be amazed at how good exercise can make you feel (this is coming from a formerly "allergic to exercise" individual! )!

Keep posting, Foxy, and let us know how it's going, okay?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:02 AM   #7  

Hey, at least the scale isn't going UP!
Old 12-01-2004, 01:09 PM   #8  

Your weight loss tends to stall at about weeks 3-4 anyway but this passes as long as you continue to eat your vegies, drink plenty of water and exercise. Remember to take your measurements because there will be times where you build muscle and loss fat but the scales don't move much.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:48 PM   #9  
FOXYKITTY

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to cut down to one good carb and dust off the treadmill. Then we will see what happens. I appreciate your honest and support. I love this board. Thanks for sharing your success with me.
Closed Thread