South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 01:35 PM   #1  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Any ideas how to tone up the jiggly fat??

I am trying to incorporate walking for fat burning...but UGHHH!! I have got some serious flabby upper arms, belly, and inner thighs. My arms remind me of the MICHELIN MAN (from the tire commercials). Any suggestions??
Old 11-15-2004, 01:42 PM   #2  

Resistance training will tone up your muscles and build muscles which burns more calories (so speeds up your metabolism). Join a gym and ask for a program that will tone up those areas. Alternatively an aerobics or aquaaerobics class will do it, but as they are group classes they will focus on overall toning not the areas you specifically ask for.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:59 PM   #3  
Conquering with SBD

I have a fitness trainer right now. When I signed up with her, I told her that I look after my own cardio and I wanted a program that would work on my strength/flexibility and tone up the flab.

She has put me on a program to work every area, but one that I can do at home, as well. I thought that she would do one with the machines in the weight room, but I am now more appreciative than ever that she developed a program for me that costs very little to maintain and since we travel, it is easy to maintain while I am away.

If you are interested in any of these exercises, let me know and I will try to describe them for you.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:03 PM   #4  

I am interested in knowing what they are.. I want an exercise to start toning now. I have alot of weight to lose. I am at 364 and want to be at around 155. I figured i needed to start soon to work on toning the excess skin that i will have. I would love to know what she has for you.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Have you seen Jorge Cruise's "8 Minutes in the Morning for Real Shapes, Real Sizes: Specifically Designed for People Who Want to Lose 30 Pounds or More" ?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

It's a pretty good book with execises. I checked it out of the library first to find out if it was the right one for me.

I've also had good luck with Tony Little's tapes. My mother got them several years ago from an infomercial and found that she couldn't do them and gave them to me. The set I have is the has an upper body, a lower body and a total body tape. I usually alternate them when I get off my lazy keister and do them.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:54 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Rebel, strength training will help so much! It will tone your arms, fill the excess skin with muscle as you lose fat, help you look tight and toned, and make you feel great! Plus, it revs your metabolism! One hour of lifting weights will rev your metabolism for the next 12 hours so you burn as much energy as you would in an hour long aerobics class just by living your regular life! It's good stuff!

However, depending on how much "flab" you have in your arms, you may not be able to get rid of it all with strength training. If not, you may think about getting surgery to remove the extra skin if it's in your way. It just depends. Just keep that as an option in your mind, just in case. And do strength training in the meantime!

Peggy, I'd love to hear about your exercises!
Old 11-15-2004, 05:05 PM   #7  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, Sweet Tooth, I would also love to know what exercises you do. I used to do some free weights and it did help quite a bit, but I think this time I really need to kick of the pace and learn some new "moves." You can send me an email or post it here, if that's allowed (not sure of the rules!). It sounds like a lot of us are very curious about your routine! Thank you so much!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #8  

This site has good information and several routines with animated instructions. The site and the books (Strong Women Stay Slim etc.) are great places to start a resistance program:

http://www.strongwomen.com/index.stm
Old 11-16-2004, 12:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 167.2/167.2/140.0

Height: 5'8"

Strength training is wonderful for toning up the flab. I would also suggest any of the Tae Bo workouts. They are serious -kickers! Billy Blanks has you concentrate on contracting muscles while you are performing the exercises which helps with toning. Be sure to go through the instructional video if you decide to try it out. It is really important to know how to execute all of the kicks and punches correctly to get the most out of the workouts. I love Tae Bo and have been doing it on and off for years now. When you get to the point where you can do Advanced videos, the Tae Bo Live! Advanced videos are my absolute favorite! They aren't sold in stores anymore but you can get them on e-bay. Billy also provides the best motivational speeches about how you need to work on your will to exercise in order to transform your body.
Closed Thread