South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 12:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Default When do the cravings stop?!?

I am on Day 7 of Phase 1, andI had no cravings... until yesterday, and they hit me HARD. I almost cheated! Like realllllly close, if my boyfriend wasn't around I would have had pancakes (which I normally hate), sushi, poutine, my list of cravings goes on and on and on.. When does it end? I thought my cravings were supposed to be gone by now? Not only that, my weight loss has stopped! Double-fold, not happy Aimee I'm hoping its temporary, and I'll resume some weight loss SOON...

-Aimee
Old 11-13-2004, 12:42 PM   #2  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hang in there Aimee - they will stop eventually. I think it's different for everyone - my worst days were 3 and 4.

Be sure to get yourself some sf Jell-O with ff CoolWhip to help get you through those days. And sf fudgecicles. Also, make sure you are eating enough vegetables - the fiber will help you to feel fuller.

Good luck and hang in there - the weight loss will start up again - Phase 1 is definitely worth it!
Cindy
Old 11-13-2004, 12:51 PM   #3  

I tried the sugar free stuff, and it ended up making me SO SO sick, turns out I'm REALLY allergic to aspartame. So I've had to avoid all things with Aspartame, plus I suspect it was the thing that stalled my weight loss.. it's getting harder to stay on this plan! I'm stuffing my face with veggies and low fat sugar free dip, omlets, salads, and protein.. go away cravings... GO! hehe..
Old 11-13-2004, 01:47 PM   #4  

Hey Aimee,
I'm on day 6. Not craving sugar but miss bread or potato and by the time You cook something or prepare something the cravings mount. At least for me. That leads me to something quick and usually salty or fatty. Pickles, lunch meat (turkey ok, but I go for the salami I saw in the fridge) Also, everyone here is always talking quantity and I thought the book said eat if your hungry. So far I am and I've lost 6.5 (probably water) so I hope I'm not headed for a stall. And if your craving sushi, why can't you have it? It sounds legal to me. It is hard sometimes. I miss convenient food. Not much of a cook. Now I cook 2 meals all the time. Mock french toast and turkey bacon for me, scrambled eggs, real bacon, english muffins w/ strawberry jelly for dh. And it didn't bother me so much except for the english muffin. I really miss bread. I think some sugar free things are upsetting to the stomach. Yesterday I at 5 sf life savers (had to have the sweet) and ugh...gassy and bloaty...yuck. Hopefully ph 2 will be easier when you can eat some fruit.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:11 PM   #5  

Hang on Aimee. Maybe it's a tom issue - that can hit hard. Usually when I find I'm cruising the kitchen and tempted by everything I get tom the next day.

Can you take Splenda? It isn't aspartame and a totally different chemistry from what I understand. Look up the SF Blondie or Warm SF Brownie (if you can't find them pm me and I'll email you the recipe) for chocolate and sweet cravings. They're rich and chocolatey and will probably do the trick!

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2004, 04:12 PM   #6  

Hey all Dont forget the ricotta creme thats a really good sweet too, I am at day 12 and week 2 has been horrible but its also TOM my other problem is that I am not eating 3 meals a day 1 maybaybe 2 thats it, I am going to get more meals into me this week I precut snacks and made chili and soup the less I eat the worse the cravings get but I am craving anything sweet even stuff that I normally hated I did cheat but right back to the plan I think I will try to stay on phase 1 for 2 more wks. any other ideas?
Old 11-13-2004, 05:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

Well I went from Atkins to SB and well I can actually say that I have never stopped craving. So I will guess that it will almost forsure be a will power thing for me forever. I was on Atkins from January to May and lost very well went off in June Gained all but like 5 pounds back... Went back on it in July and never lost an ounce. So....

Makes me wonder I have been on Phase one since Tuesday haven't had too many cravings and have eaten much healthier than I ever did on Atkins. I feel better too.

But I really doubt my "cravings" will stop....
Old 11-13-2004, 09:07 PM   #8  

The physical cravings do eventually stop (the amount of time it takes varies) but you may still have emotional cravings. If I really want something, I drink a glass of water and really think if it is something I truly want. By then I normally decide I don't want it. But I also eat lots of raw veggies as snacks so I don't get really hungry.

As far as sushi, it isn't allowed because of the rice (although someone found a place that made it with brown rice). Sashimi is allowed.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:50 PM   #9  

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it I've been doing some thinking myself, and seem to notice that I never get that "clarity" most people get from quitting sugar and caffiene. It's a little weird, but I'm persisting through it. It's not close to my TOM, I made sure I started when my TOM start so I wouldn't have to deal with cravings, those just kill me! So, I had some coffee today with some vanilla flavor in it, I had like 4 sips, and it helped SO much. I'd say 98% of my cravings are gone I'm hoping it'll keep me going for a few more days. I know it's technically cheating.. but if I plan to make this a lifestyle, then I am going to have to make some exceptions. I really like the idea of not having sugar or wheat, it really helps my stomach feel better. I'm at the end of Day 7, and have lost 8 pounds, so I've already had a great run! You guys have been so helpful with this, I never knew I'd need so much support in order to do this, and I really do appreciate it Hope you are all having a great weekend

-Aimee
Old 11-14-2004, 10:18 AM   #10  

Hi,
Others may disagree, but I go with one cup of full octane coffee each day. Even the book says if that little bit of caffeine is going to make a difference between staying on and falling off, make that your compromise.

Everybody has a compromise. The plan has to fit your individual needs to a certain extent or it won't be sustainable.

Good luck! Hope the cravings stay away.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:10 PM   #11  

I agree about caffeine. The biggest problem with caffeine mentioned in the book is that it can trigger cravings or hunger. For me it's just the opposite and I read the same on other low carb boards. They say it can increase BS levels yet others claim it helps. I buy caffeine free soda but I won't give up the full strength java. At least 2 cups a day. I also found Chai tea latte (starbucks offers it but it's full of sugar) I buy International Coffee sugar free chai tea latte and its wonderful. Almost like dessert. I find sipping something hot and soothing gets me right over the hurdle.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:35 PM   #12  

Okay, I have something embarrassing to ask.. I've been stuffing my face with veggies for a reason.. I haven't gone "number 2" in 3 days, and I have IBS, so I'm used to going all the darn time. It feels weird, and every day I get on the scale it's going up a pound, is "it" building up? I dunno, but it just doesn't feel great! I'm done, hehe.

I don't dare get on the scale today though, I ended up cheating pretty bad last night. It is what it is, and I'll get right back to it today. I had the "big" cheat, but I also "cheated" with 100% organic juice. It's weird to consider organic juice as a cheat item. I think I'll do better in Phase 2, if I ever get there, I managed to go 6.75 days without cheating, but thats all. Oh well, I'm babbling.. I'm off to find a healthy breakfast!

-Aimee
Old 11-14-2004, 04:28 PM   #13  

Height: 5'-2"

I have IBS, too, Aimee, and it's a bit of shock to be constipated, isn't it.
I'm sure all the veggies plus a coffee or two will clear you out.
Hang in there, and get back on track, girl!!
Old 11-14-2004, 07:19 PM   #14  

Aimee, I eat a TON of veggies and high fiber foods but I still get constipated if I don't have a glass of Sugar free Metamucil twice a day. If you are really constipated, you may need to use a stool softener. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, especially if you use Metamucil.

I used to have lots of problems before I started South Beach. Any high saturated fat foods would send me right into cramping and the runs.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:55 AM   #15  

Hi Girls, Hey Aimee, are you using the olive oil? I find when I have a meal that I used olive oil on a couple things, (I grill outside and use it on the veggie and the fish) that that works so well on me that I sometimes dont even get to finish my meal, I'm up and running!!! LOL

DH and I are continuing PH 1 for longer, we are at 2 1/2 wks now....mostly its not a problem.. but gotta say that cravings are not going away...i dont believe mine will....I am sure they are mostly habit and emotional.
Closed Thread