Old 11-08-2004, 12:49 PM   #1  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Default Christmas Talk-Favorites, Etc.

Okay, all this talk of Christmas got me to thinking that maybe we need a thread to put all our favorites on. So I thought here we could talk about traditions, favorite Christmas movies, books, music, what you love about the holiday, favorite memories, etc.

So post away ladies...

Last edited by FrouFrou; 11-08-2004 at 01:04 PM.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:03 PM   #2  
One day at a time

Here are my favorite movies and music:

Christmas Vacation, Home Alone 1 & 2, A Christmas Story, Charlie Browns Christmas and now a new addition to the list is Surviving Christmas.

Michael Bolton-This Is The Time-The Christmas Album
Mariah Carey-Merry Christmas
Home Alone Christmas
Neil Diamond-The Christmas Album
Elvis Presely-If Every Day Was Christmas
Manheim Steamroller
Hallmark-The Spirit of Christmas
A Charlie Brown Christmas

I know there are more, just drawing a blank now.

My favorite songs are Silent Night, O'Holy Night, What Child is This, Happy Christmas, oh who am I kidding I love all Christmas music!

I started a sort of tradition years ago when the kids were small, we always have our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. I figured that way whatever family gathering we were invited to on Christmas day it wouldn't be a problem. We have been having our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve since. Now though it is just so we can be lazy on Christmas day, don't have any family gatherings to go to since they live out of state. We get up late if we want and spend the day in our jammies and eat leftovers. A nice and relaxing day.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's favorites and traditions and such.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:18 PM   #3  

Height: 5'1"

Oh how fun!

Movies: White Christmas, Santa Clause (both), Christmas Vacation, Christmas Story. I watch more, but those are ones I have to watch every year! I had seen in a advertisment in the paper that there was a Christmas Vacation2 ....when did that come out??

Music: I love any kind of music for Christmas. I've had Alvin & the Chipmunks playing before! But I really like the Nutcracker Suite, the music with all the string instruments are so wonderful! While working at Sony and we did Christmas CD's (in July) I always wanted to buy everyone of them!

My favorite song I like to sing (even though I don't know all the words) is "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" and "Rockin around the Christmas Tree" only because it brings back memories of Jhanai being a baby and just giggling everytime she heard those songs!

Our tradition here; Christmas Eve is spent w/all the family at my grandpa's. Everyone gets together and we have a wonderful time. We exchange gifts, do a White Elephant gift and have a little sandwich bar (really mean little--we use the tiny breads)....we don't make the big dinner...too much focus on that, when we all want to spend it enjoying the family. Then on Christmas we stay at home and enjoy what we have gotten. Also, at the first of December, we go out and buy a new ornament. Started that one when James & I got together. Eventually we'll run out of space on the tree, but we'll find spots to put them.

Fun thread.....can't wait to read everyone elses.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:41 PM   #4  
One day at a time

Marti~love your traditions! You reminded me that I too buy a new ornament every year-how could I forget that?! It is actually more like 2 or three, depending on if I see anything I like. Because I buy a new boy/girl angel every year, can't remember who it is that makes them but get them at Hallmark and I wish I would have started when they first came out but I didn't-think they are called Marys angels. Started those angels in 2001 and she has a new one every year except last year she had two, an anniversary one which was really cute. I then try to find a family one or one that has the year on it. When the kids were little though I made ornaments every year also. I also collect Santas and while I didn't buy one last year, couldn't find one I liked I got one early this year at Hallmark, one of the Old World Santas, the one from Norway since DH is Norwegian. Will probably buy another. My collection has turned to snowmen also. Too much Christmas stuff. You'll never run out of space on the tree, you'll just get a bigger tree! Had no clue there was a Christmas Vacation 2?! Would love to see it though.

Last edited by FrouFrou; 11-09-2004 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:11 PM   #5  
Closed

Christmas Quotes:
And The Grinch With His Grinch Feet, Ice Cold In The Snow, Stood Puzzling And Puzzling, How Could It Be So? It Came Without Ribbons ,it Came Without Tags,it Came Without Packages, Boxes, Or Bags. And He Puzzled And Puzzled Till His Puzzler Was Sore,then The Grinch Thought Of Something He Hadn't Before. What If Christmas, He Thought,doesn't Come From A Store.what If Christmas Perhaps Means A Little Bit More.
Tea Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:12 PM   #6  
Closed

christmas Quotes:
Until one feels the spirit of Christmas there is no Christmas,All else is outward display so much tinsel and decorations
For it isn't the holly , it isn't the snow
It isn't the tree,not the firelights glow
Its the warmth that comes to the hearts of men
When the Christmas Spirit returns again
Old 11-11-2004, 02:45 PM   #7  
Closed

The Supreme Court has ruled that they cannot have a Nativity scene in Washington D.C this wasn't for any Religious reasons . They couldn't find Three Wise Men and a Virgin.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:07 PM   #8  
Closed

Hi Girls
I'm going to Michael's and maybe Homesense tomorrow looking for Christmas goodies, my Daughter is coming with, so it should be a good time,she is even putting off seeing her sweetie till later in the evening just to come with me . I'm so excited
Old 11-11-2004, 06:32 PM   #9  
Closed

Christmas quote :
Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love
Old 11-12-2004, 08:11 AM   #10  
GmaTo8

Great thread, Cristi!

Movies - It's a Wonderful Life, Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Holly and Ivy, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (original version), A Christmas Carol (any version, including the one with a female lead, "Ebbie"). We usually watch Home Alone at Thanksgiving. Although we own the movie, it is on T/G night every year, and we rewatch it then.

Music - Martina McBride's Christmas CD is my favorite. I like just about any Christmas music, so I took all my Christmas CDs and separated them into "reverent" songs and "fun" songs and made two new CDs. Lots of different artist. They include everything from Madonna's Santa Baby, and a parody of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen called "The Bathroom Door Said Gentlemen" to the sweetest - What Child is This, Little Drummer Boy, and all the other traditional ones.

Our Tradition - I mentioned this recently on another thread, but here goes again, lol. On Christmas Eve, my kids and grandkids all come over. We turn the phones off, and gather in the living room with the bible open to St. Luke, Chapter 2, verses 1-20. The verses are marked in pencil with each readers name (so we can include new people later), and we each read our passage, handing the bible to the next one, as we finish. This year, Mackenzie Jo, the 5 y/o will be included. She is reading a little bit, and will get help from a grown up. Everyone listens, and I think we all feel a little humbled. Then Neal puts on his trusty Santa hat, and no less than 2 big-eyed grandkids will scramble up on his lap for the reading of "Twas the Night Before Christmas". After the "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!", we open presents. Katie and the grandkids pass them out, one at a time, and we watch and see what the person got, before going on to the next one. While somebody else bags up the wrapping paper, (and you can bet Neal will stick a big bow on his bald pate, lol) I bring out the food and we all just sit and visit while the kids try out their new stuff. After awhile, it's time for the Christmas Eve service at church.

On Christmas Day, they all come back for a noon dinner. I know there will be some years that they won't all make it for this, but while it's still going on, I'm one happy elf.

Edited to add: After I wrote all that, I remembered the photo of Neal and the kids from last year. Here it is, cut down by 50%...

(edited out by Jane)
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:50 AM   #11  
Closed

Ahh Jane
What a beautiful picture, sounds like you have wonderful family traditions ,your making me all teary eyed.lucky Lady and Lucky Family
Old 11-13-2004, 01:42 PM   #12  
One day at a time

Jane~love your tradition and the photo of the kids and Neal, so sweet. You also reminded me that we too go to Christmas Eve service, not sure how I forgot that. Since DS#1 started going to the Catholic church we have been going the last three years. They do a beautiful candlelit service. Everyone gets a candle as they walk in and they start by lighting one and it goes from there. Used to let the kids open one present on Christmas Eve but haven't done that in a while. I do still give them a bag of goodies from Santa though.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:07 PM   #13  

Height: 5'1"

I love the photo Jane! I'm wanting to take some extra photos this year of the holidays......I tend to leave the camera tucked in my purse most of the time....must stop doing that!

That photo just crys out to me saying "put me in a scrapbook!" Love it and I'm glad you shared it with us!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:28 PM   #14  
GmaTo8

Ellen - yes, I am very blessed! So are you, with your loving family.

Cristi - our church service is also a candlelight ceremony. So beautiful!! My whole family goes and I get kinda choked up about the whole thing, with the carols and all.

Marti - I did a scapbook page the year before of almost an identical photo. Yep, be sure and get that camera out this year! With your scapbooking talent, you could turn out some really memorable pages!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:04 PM   #15  
One day at a time

Jane~I get choked up to-all the candles in the place is just so beautiful! There is something so peaceful about the whole thing too.

Marti~Was it you that mentioned a Popeye movie?? Anyway, I saw an advertisment in Country Living (love that magazine) for the Popeye movie (a new holiday adventure called Popeye's voyage-The Quest for Pappy) thinking it is the one you were talking about. The dvd came out Nov. 9th and it will be on FOX tv on Friday, Dec. 17th at 8:30/7:30c.Going to have to check into Christmas Vacation 2 as I didn't realize there was one.

So is everyone ready to start decorating? We know Ellen is anyone else already decorating? I am ready to start but will wait til next weekend. Need to start going through the lights probably this weekend and start untangling them. Not sure how they get tangled if you put them in the box neatly, I mean they sit there for a year, in a box. Anyway, I heard Christmas music in the store yesterday for the first time. Wonder why they decorate for Christmas early but don't put the music on early? Anyway, I was humming Christmas music all day yesterday-couldn't get it out of my head. If anyone wants to share pics feel free-would love to share and see them. I will be sure too when I am done-some of the living room/dining room, maybe my pink tree.