South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 01:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

Default What do you do when.....

Okay this is Day 2 of phase 1 for me... I have been a big atkins kinda gal then went to modified carbs and well I need some advice on this particular way of eating.

What do you do when you get home from work at midnight and you are starving, completely famished?

I am working 11to11 and well I have been up since 830 and am just getting home and I am miserable, I want some food. I ate a chicken breast and a piece of cheese at about 8PM first chance for dinner and didn't have time to get to the cafeteria for a salad. Need some input- I didn't eat enough today.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

On the first day of Phase 1, I was home and it was raining, so I made tons and tons of food. I prepared coleslaw, cut up veggies, and made sure I had enough on hand to make things in a desperation. I also made some sugar free jello, which I might go have some of now.. hope that helps!

-Aimee
Old 11-11-2004, 07:54 AM   #3  
Trapped Skinny Person

Yup you gotta plan!

I do it on Sundays after grocery shopping - cut & bag veggies, so that they are ready to eat or use (starving - grab some raw veggies) - you can precook chicken breasts so that you just have to warm them up - have as much of your dinners prepped before hand so that cooking/reheating is quick. Make up a batch or two of sugar free jello for when the need for sweets strike. Tomato juice and V8 help when hunger strikes too.

I made a batch of taco soup on Sunday and put into containers and froze for lunches all week - so no thought needed there. I really didn't feel like cooking last night but I had a chicken breast thawed and veggies precut - so I did a quick stirfry. I am down 8 lbs and in my 2nd week of Phase 1 - cheating at this point is definitely not worth it!

Whenever you do cook a meal - try to double it so that you don't have to cook the next night or take it for lunch or freeze for later.

Planning is definitely key with this way of eating. And try to eat every 3 hours - bring cut up veggies to work to munch on on your breaks. That way you don't have a chance to get really hungry.

Best of luck.

Kim
Old 11-11-2004, 09:19 AM   #4  

You might want to make up a bunch of soups and chilis (check the recipe forum) and freeze them in individual servings. I take one down to thaw and that is what I bring for lunch. I also take the time to chop up lots of vegetables and put them in snack bags. Currently I like cauliflower, red pepper strips (with hummus) and zucchini. You can also freeze a container that has precooked meat (check out the Chicken Capri recipe, I think it is phase 1) and I add cooked vegetables such as broccoli on top and then I just have to reheat it.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:49 AM   #5  

Default I'm already in trouble

Hi, I'm on day 4 of induction. Haven't lost much yet, just a couple of lbs and it's TOM and that's probably where the couple pounds came from.
I do ok during the day at work, because I only have what I bring from home.
The diet must be helping with cravings because I haven't had much problem staying away from the array of junk food at work. We have someone who brings donuts, cakes, candy and chips just about every day of the week and puts them out in the middle of the office. But I've been ok with that. Here's my problem(s), I am not much of a cook and I don't really like raw veggies(actually never even ate veggies until my 20's and rarely then) I do like squashes and spinach. Brocolli doesn't do it for me but if seasoned I get it down. I'm trying to find interesting ways to prepare veggies. I feel like if I eat any more chicken and eggs I will grow feathers and cluck and it only been 4 days I cruised the recipe board for breakfast and entrees and found some good ideas(of course I am always missing some of the ingredients and end up running to the store ) but I don't see alot on preparing veggies with some flare. I know I need to eat more veggies. When I get home from work I am looking for something quick and end up eating lunch meat which could have hidden sugars and too much fat. Also pickles and cheese. Too much salt and dairy, right? I really want to make this work. I'm diabetic and it's so important to change my WOE. I did sugar busters a while back and it was working pretty well. NO INDUCTION. That was the best part. So I think I'm eating too much because I'm never really happy with what I'm eating. Any suggestions?
Old 11-11-2004, 09:54 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Amy, this WOE is all about preparation. Some things that might help:
  • as the other chicks stated, cut things up when you have free time.
  • buy frozen veggies. Through them in a microwave container and nuke for a couple minutes and you have a side dish! In Phase 1, try Birds Eye's green beans with toasted almonds, in Phase II, I love the broccoli with low fat cheese sauce. You can also get plain veggies and throw smart balance and salt and pepper on them. Easy!
  • EAT VEGGIES!!! They fill you up and keep you from feeling hungry later.
  • Buy pre-bagged salads, especially those with more than lettuce...like spinach and spring mix to enhance the nutrients you are getting.
  • Make a salad like coleslaw, three bean salad, or others (check the recipe forum for tons of bean salad recipes) to have all week with your meals.
  • Make a chicken salad (with mayo, celery, green onions, maybe nuts) and eat off of that for a couple days.
  • Locate a local grocery store with a salad bar where you can make your own. If necessary, get some low sugar deli meat to chop up and throw on top for protein

I hope that helps. I know you can make this diet work!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 10:00 AM   #7  

Default OMG am I blind?

I must have passed right by side dishes and salads. I posted that long plea for help and it was right in front of me Sorry gals, didn't mean to waste space. I'm going back to look at some of the sides and salads now. Thanks anyway.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:02 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Sorry for two posts, guys!

Donna, I feel your pain. I'm not much of a veggie lover by nature, either, but I'm learning to love them!

I posted my mom's recipe green beans with balsalmic vinegar and garlic in the recipe forum...they are fantastic!

Check out the "creative ways to add veggies" thread for lots of ideas.

When all else fails, throw that lunch meat (buy it in the deli where it has less sugar, salt, and preservatives, and check their nutrition info for the one with the least sugar) on a salad! Use spinach if you can do it, or spring mix to up the nutrient content, and toss in as many fresh veggies as you can handle. I don't love raw veggies either, but when they are in a salad, I don't mind them as much. Hope you feel the same way! Add a tasty dressing (I love Hidden Valley Ranch's Spicy Ranch and BBQ Ranch...both are SBD safe, or a Bleu Cheese), some cheese, and even some roasted soy nuts (for crunch!). Add beans, too, especially chickpeas for good carbs. Yum!

Make a salad, like coleslaw, bean salad, etc. to have with your lunch meat to up the nutrient content.

Have you tried red (or orange or yellow) bell pepper strips with hummus? It's to die for!!! I especially love it with roasted red pepper hummus. Yum!!!

Try making veggie dishes that have those you like, like squash, and those you are not sure of, like broccoli, so you can at least eat the squash if the broccoli doesn't taste great to you. Check places like www.allrecipes.com and www.cookinglight.com where you can type in an ingredient to get recipes.

Good luck! I know you can do this!
Old 11-11-2004, 10:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

Thanks u guys.... I ate celery yesterday.....nuff said.

I have never eaten celery that was not cooked in something, can't stand the stuff it is gross and one of my least favorite things in the world. I like stir fry, really enjoy most other veggies.

This is my food from yesterday
AM
Cup of V8 Veggie drink(ugh)
Piece of cheese
Lunch
Grilled chicken salad with low fat ranch
Snack
celery stick with cheese
Dinner
Chicken Breast (sm)
with cheese stick

The cheese was low fat string cheese and it was 3 pieces. I can really say looking at that it wasn't much. Had planned on a salad with dinner but didn't get to the cafeteria like I said.

My work days are 12 hour, I rarely have time to cook prior and like I posted earlier don't get home until usually midnight, and then go straight to bed. My off days are a little less hectic and I have time to prepare. I will look at the recipe board... but think I may be on phase 1 for a little longer than 2 weeks.

Thanks again!!!
Amy
Old 11-11-2004, 10:23 AM   #10  

If you get home and you're hungry have a ricotta cream. They are filling and satisfying and on plan.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:59 AM   #11  
Trapped Skinny Person

Donna,

Pssssst Donna - it's called Phase 1 - Induction is that OTHER diet

Try adding light soy sauce or balsamic vinager to stirfried veggies.

Roast veggies with curry powder or some other favorite spice.

Make a BIG batch of veggie soup - I really like this with the cold weather coming.

Amy,

Try nuking the V8 for a min - it tastes more like tomato soup that way - or maybe you prefer tomato juice.

Is there any raw veggie you like that you can snack on instead of celery?

Cucumber slices with salsa? I had tuna salad on cucumber slices the other day and it was really good.
Tomato slices with light dressing?
Zucchini slices with something?

And no one said you HAVE to have cold veggies for a snack - if you have time and access to a microwave - bring leftover stirfried veggies for your snacks.

Maybe after your day off and some planning you will be able to get a better start.

Best of luck to both of you.

Kim
Old 11-11-2004, 12:11 PM   #12  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

For chips and crunchy things cravings:

Edamame (warmed) with some coarse salt (if you're craving salt this is great).

Sweet Sugar Snap Peas in the Pod. My god, these things are GREAT when you're craving the crunch of chips.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:18 PM   #13  
Trapped Skinny Person

Goddess Jessica

I have tryed to find edamame (soy beans) around here and can't - I heard they very good.

Aren't sugar snap peas too high in sugar for Phase 1?
Closed Thread