Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 08:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Talking healthier Pumpkin Pie Recipe

I found this on the American Heart Association's website. http://www.deliciousdecisions.org. I have been looking for low fat/sugar options for the holidays and I loooooove pumpkin Pie so I was thrilled to find this:

PUMPKIN PIE
Serves 8
9-inch unbaked low-fat piecrust

(you can use pre-packaged or try a Recipe Search for Desserts and Beverages to find the recipe for Pie Crust)
Filling

16-ounce can pumpkin puree

1 1/4 cups fat-free evaporated milk

Whites of 3 large eggs

1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Pinch of ground cloves

1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat frozen whipped topping, thawed (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake piecrust until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 450 F. In a large bowl, beat all filling ingredients until no lumps remain. Pour into piecrust. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 F and bake for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. When serving, top each slice with a dollop of whipped topping, if desired.

Calories: 220
Protein: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 46 g
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 1 mg
Sodium: 222 mg
Old 11-10-2004, 09:18 PM   #2  

Ooohh thank you. This looks really good. I don't think I've ever seen any low fat pre-made crusts in the stores around here though. I did see another recipe similar to this one using phyllo pastry for the crust. I'm going to have to be creative at Thanksgiving this year to stay on my diet but not let on to the fact everyone else is eating low fat. hehe
Old 11-11-2004, 12:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

here is the recipe they had for crust on the same site,.. didnt seem too low fat though, but it must be better than regular. Of course, i dont know the nutritional value for regular crust. I wonder if I could substiture Splenda for the sugar..

PIE CRUST
Makes pastry for 2 9-inch pie shells or 1 2-crust pie
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/3 cup cold skim milk

1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon acceptable vegetable oil

1 teaspoon sugar (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine flour and sugar. Stir to mix.

Pour milk and oil into a measuring cup. Do not stir. Add all at once to flour. Stir with fork until well mixed. Form into a smooth ball with hands.

Roll out between 2 12-inch squares of waxed paper using short, brisk strokes until pastry reaches edge of paper. Peel off top paper.

Invert crust and place on pie plate. Carefully peel off paper and gently fit crust into pie plate.

For 2-crust pie, place fruit filling in pie crust and top with second crust; flute edges and make slits in top crust.

Sprinkle crust with 1 teaspoon sugar, if desired, and bake according to filling directions.

For 2 single-crust pie shells, flute the edges and prick pastry with a fork. Repeat with second crust. Preheat oven to 450: F. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Calories: 258 kcal
Protein: 4 gm
Carbohydrates: 25 gm
Total Fat: 16 gm
Saturated Fat: 2 gm
Polyunsaturated Fat: 9 gm
Monounsaturated Fat: 4 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 6 mg
Potassium: 48 mg
Calcium: 18 mg
Old 12-05-2004, 02:59 PM   #4  

My version of Healthy Pumkin Pie:
Buy either real pumpkin, butternut squash, or golden nuget squash (they look like miniture pumpkins). Cut them in half and remove seeds. Place cut side down and bake on a large cookie sheet for about an hour at 350 degrees. Cool for about an hour or so. Then scoop out the squash. At this point you can do a lot of things with it. You can have it as a side dish with a little salt/pepper/"fake" butter. Or you can use it in recipes.

Pumpkin Pie without the pie crust is my current favorite.
2 cups of the cooked squash
3/4 - 1 C Splenda
2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie spice
2 eggs
1 can of Fat Free Evaporated Milk
Mix it all together, pour into a baking dish that has been sprayed with no stick cooking spray and bake for about an hour or until done (inserted knife comes out clean) at about 350-375.
I promise you can not tell the difference it is so wonderful. I did make it for Thanksgiving with crust for others and EVERYONE thought it was the best they've ever had, honest!
You do not miss the fat or the sugar. And the fact that you cook the squash your self instead of using the canned stuff ensures that you are getting lots of really good fiber.
Hope someone out there trys it too.

KatieIla
SB phase 2
30 lbs down since June and more to follow
Closed Thread