General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 10:13 PM   #1  

Talking Body for Life #7!!!

Body for Life #7
Our Introductory Material.

Check this post for general information about :
1. Body for Life (what it is and how it works).
2. BFL links (Please let me know if you have more!) and
3. a short critique by Mrs. Jim at the end of her week 3

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details):
six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist/palm method of measurement.
Recommended grams per day: divide lean body weight by 6 and that is how much carbs/protein you should have at each meal but it tends to correspond to your palm (protein) and fist (carbs). Add green veggies to 2 meals per day. Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks and/or Bars on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes and Bars (Shakes are better IMHO). Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Supplements optional: many options but few (other than creatine) that is standard fare.

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 47-60 minutes intense (using supersetting and drop sets) weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days.

20 minutes intense interval cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

Body for life Links

~~~My own page with week 11 pix (more work on it after I finish ttaking after pix)

http://home.att.net/~s_j_e/bflweek10.htm

AND

'round the net bfl links:

http://*************.com/group/bodyforlife

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifeplus
(for plus women)

http://www.hussman.com/eas/

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

http://www.leanandstrong.com/

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifewomensclub
(for women)

http://www.eas.com

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlife

http://www.bflrecipes.bigstep.com

http://www.bflsupport.com

http://www.gymamerica.com/gti/exerc...ted_demo_index/
(Thanks Christie!)

http://www.planetkc.com/exrx/Lists/Directory.html

http://bodybuilding.about.com/recre...ing/?once=true&

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/BootCamp.asp
(AB BOOTCAMP!!!)

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
(HIIT)

From BFL #3 Thread: Mrs. Jim's critique at the end of Week 3

Woo! Today's end of Week 3...
...I'm feeling great - my arms are sore (not unbearably so) from yesterday's UBWO...

For the remaining 9 weeks, I've downloaded and printed copies of the progress reports, then written down the strength training routines, with the dates on top (not the planned weight to lift though - I write that in the night before). Each week, I'll pull out the three strength training routines for that particular week and put them on my refrigerator to grab on my way to the gym each morning!

My opinion is, if you want to truly succeed at losing weight in any case - not just BFL - it requires some advance planning, reading/researching, etc. When you're considering a weight-loss/fitness plan, don't just go blindly into it. Do some reading and research. Talk to people (on line or in person) about how they've done on the plan - preferably those who have done the plan in the past, or for more than a few weeks. Ask yourself "Can I stay on this plan for X amount of weeks? Will I be able to KEEP the weight off? Can I afford to do this?"

Let's face it, BFL isn't for everyone (though I would strongly encourage all to give it a look!), just like WW or other plans don't work for everyone. It's important to find a plan you can live with for an extended period of time!

The things that appealed to me about BFL were:

*The structure of the plan - I've lifted weights in the past, but didn't have an actual routine to make them more effective. I like the way BFL's weight training is set up and timed - it's fast paced and actually enjoyable!

*Even though I'm doing less cardio than in the past (where I would typically spend 80 minutes on the EFX, followed by 5 minutes on the treadmill and 10-15 minutes lifting weights, six or seven days a week, in addition to long hilly bike rides on the weekends) I find I'm getting more out of it. My typical BFL cardio workout day consists of doing the 20 minute solution (using a HRM to monitor my intensity), THEN doing a 40-minute easy 'jog' keeping my HR low (120-140 HR) just because I enjoy it...I still do my Friday Spin class but only after my strength training and usually only stay for the first 35 minutes (primarily because of my work schedule).

*Another great thing is the FREE DAY...can't say enough about it. It's kind of exciting to plan what I'm going to be eating on Sunday! In addition, Jim and I usually go cycling or are out and about, so it's not like I'm hanging around the house pigging out...I still don't know what I want tomorrow...we did Mexican last week...maybe Italian??

Well, gotta go - my Myoplex is ready! Later...

Old 06-18-2001, 10:46 PM   #2  

Default How do these threads work?

I posted over on BFL 6 page 2?? Not sure I'm following where we are to post. Let me know how to track you down!! Cris
Old 06-18-2001, 10:54 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Wow - a new thread already!!

I'm going to go ahead and close out the previous thread - you can read it but you can't post to it.

Labmom, I order my stuff from Netrition and VitaGlo. If you order from Netrition via the Lean & Strong website they get a small contribution to continue that forum, plus you get a bunch of free stuff. However, Vita Glo does have free shipping and really low prices! Just remember to save your receipt/shipping docs if you are going to 'officially' enter the BFL challenge - you do have to show proof of purchase of EAS products (doesn't specify how many, though - I guess a $1.19 Myoplex Lite bar would qualify!) to do so - whether or not you order from EAS directly.

I just posted my 8 week progress photos on www.leanandstrong.com - click on "Libraries & Pics" and go to "Transformation Gallery". I'm MrsJim there too!

Last edited by MrsJim; 06-18-2001 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:53 AM   #4  

Mrs. Jim---Is all I can say is WOW!!!! You are looking great!!

I had a good 1st day. I only drank 7 cups of water, though. I am going for 10 today!! I was in the bathroom constantly!! Today I won't wear overalls at work!!!!

I am planning on jogging or biking the 20 minute thing after work today. I know I can reach a 10 on jogging, since it is soooo hot out there at 4:PM in the afternoon!

Labmom-Unfortunately, I don't like the Myoplex bars. I only like Luna Bars, and I think they have too much sugar to use on this program. The only Myoplex bars I can stomach are the toffee ones.

My eating yesterday was good. However, instead of the last meal being a shake, I had a bowl of sugarfree Healthy Choice ice cream. I know I shouldn't but I am so used to having something cold and creamy at night that I did. I am trying to journal-which I did yesterday, but I have a hard time doing something so rigid. I want to make this work for me, even if it takes longer. Right now my goal is to do without sugar, drink all the water, and tone up my body.

Susanje-I can feel my arms today, so I guess it was a good idea to start out with lighter weights. Do you use a barbell for lower body or dumbbells? I am afraid that I won't have enough time to add plates between each set if I use the barbell.

Talk to you later!!
Old 06-19-2001, 09:27 AM   #5  

HI Shelley,

Before BFL I always had sorbet before bed. It's a habit I had to break. Sorbet on free day only.

For creamy and cold do a Myoplex Vanilla Lite shake with lots of ice and to make it CREAMY add a few teaspoons of sf/ff vanilla pudding or Chocolate Creme Lite and add sf/ff chocolate pudding. It works for me. I still miss my sorbet but it will impede my progress.

A minute is plenty of time to change weight plates on a barbell. Barbells are best for deadlifts and squats though I use dumbbells fr lunges. I believe you can use dumbbells for all LBWO but I prefer the barbell for the deadlifts because it's easier to keep form.

Sounds like you're on your way!!!
Susan
Old 06-19-2001, 09:31 AM   #6  

MRS JIM!!!!

I know I posted this on L&S but you are looking MAHVELOUS!!!

Loved your pix!!! Very nice progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work.

-Susan
Old 06-19-2001, 09:46 AM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Thanks - I'm just super motivated!!!

Can you tell that we just got the digital camera by the quality of the photos?? The first two were taken with disposable cameras. I swear we're never going back to film again!

After my workout this morning I couldn't wait to see if anyone had a response to my pix. I'm so glad! The only thing I regret is not taking measurements with a tape measure before starting the Challenge. I do hope that my photos (as well as susanje's etc) will motivate others to take a closer look at the BFL program. It has got to be the best program out there - healthy eating (not unrealistic or expensive), easy to fit into your day (who doesn't have 20 minutes to do cardio or 45 minutes to weight train?) and you get that great FREE DAY!

I believe I mentioned earlier that I am going to STOP weighing myself every Sunday. Those numbers on the scale don't mean diddly-squat - I haven't lost much 'scale weight' in the eight weeks. So I'm going to wait four weeks till I step on that scale again. Even though the scale hasn't moved much my 'pants-o-meter' has really been working overtime - even my size 8 DKNY black jeans are getting in the baggy stages! My legs are the most stubborn bodypart and I don't expect to see much definition in them until sometime midway thru C2.

A short while back, somebody emailed me privately and implied that because Bill Phillips (author of BFL) endorses Myoplex that BFL is right there with Jenny Craig and other 'diets' that require you to buy their foods, etc. First off, he says in his book that it is only a CONVENIENCE. Second, if you do choose to use a MRP, you don't necessarily need to use Myoplex (but I think it's the tastiest) and most importantly, you can shop around and get fantastic deals on the stuff - especially if you buy the big 42-serving boxes (I paid an average of $1.13 a serving for the 42-pack Myoplex Lite). My grocery bills have actually gone DOWN, mostly because I'm focusing on fresh foods and the fruits and veggies right now are out of this world!

I am really excited by the responses here and at L&S. It's motivating me even more to keep up the intensity!

I'm going to see if I have a chance to update my website in time for my 12-week mark which will actually be a couple of days short since we are leaving for Yosemite on Thursday 12 July. We'll be there until Sunday and on Monday I'll begin Challenge 2!!

I'm already thinking of where to take my 12 week pix. Maybe in Yosemite or at Rancho Polhemus with my new horse friends around me - or riding one bareback!

Time to hit the shower. See ya!!!
Old 06-19-2001, 10:26 AM   #8  

MrsJim - I must say WOW your pics are great. I bet you feel great when you look at those pictures.

I don't know if I will be brave enough to post my pictures when I have some progress to report.

Also someone saying that Body For Life is like Jenny Craig - totally wrong take from me I did Jenny Craig in 1990 when from 220 to 163 in about five months, added some weight training looked pretty good, kept the weight off for two years, but old habits starting sneaking in like pizza, french fries, desserts. Jenny Craig food is not all that. At least I can still go to the grocery store and once a week I can eat anything I want I like that! You can't do that on Jenny Craig and Bill Phillips say in his book that if you don't use Myoplex this will still work! Please no if you are using Jenny Craig don't be offended if that's the program you want to use that is your personal choice just like BFL is mine.

Susan - does the Myoplex get thick when you mix/blend it? I am using Whey Protein right now, but I am subsituting one to two shakes a day because it's easy. I am thinking about getting some Myoplex at the first of month when my GNC discount card is good.

I dropped by a small GNC here locally in Rite Aid looking for Myoplex bars all they ahd was Myoplex Delux I had a half of one yesterday in Chocolate Fudge - not great, but not totally disgusting - I have a Peanut Butter one to try too.

Has anyone here used saveonsupplements.com? I have tossed around the idea of ordering some stuff from them.

I may try adding some SF/FF pudding to my Whey Protein and see if that helps the taste. My favorite shake is OJ with three strawberries, ice and protein blended to make what I consider one tasty shake, I just afraid that it has too much carbs - any input will be welcome.

Back to work - I will try to check in again later today.

Susan
Old 06-19-2001, 10:51 AM   #9  

Hi Susan,

OJ is a high glycemic carb so best to not use as a foundation for a shake. I use Orange Jubilee Myoplex. It is 42 grams of protein and 21 or so of carbs so I cut it in half and add an orange to the shake. That is very very yummy. Sometimes I add strawberries or pineapple instead of orange. Because I get to cut it in half, it is less expensive and lasts longer. Designer Protein has a berry protein shake that is very good and I have gotten it through vitaglo.com. I believe it is called AbsBerry or something like that and MetRx has Berry Blast. I usually add fresh fruit to both of these.

The vanilla creme lite Myoplex is thick to begin with but I thicken it with ff/sf jello pudding.

I buy my shakes at netrition.com and also vitaglo and sometimes saveonsupplements. I look for deals on the web. To me, GNC is good in a pinch if they're having a sale ( I will go there for Met Rx Classic Vanilla because they seem to have it on sale a lot but not EAS products).

Hope that helps!
Susan
Old 06-19-2001, 10:54 AM   #10  

BTW, I've given up on bars. I have a box of EAS Toffee Crunch and I will use in a rare emergency pinch but overall I hate them. They taste awful and if you go to the better tasting kinds, you're battling sugar and not enough protein.

Love those shakes though.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:04 AM   #11  

Thanks Susan! I will be leaving the OJ out. Are bananas high glycemic carb too? I know that they aren't on his list. So that's why I ask. I will continue to add the strawberries though. I tried the Peanut Butter Myoplex Deluxe bar and it's okay better than the chocolate I only ate half of it though just too much. I still have a lot to learn about this program. I read a friends book, but I want to get my own copy the next time I am near a bookstore, just have been near one lately. I have been using his measuring of the hand and fist. Do you do that?

Has anyone used EAS's Phen-Free on thier aerobics day?

Susan
Old 06-19-2001, 11:25 AM   #12  

Hi Susan,

I use palm/fist but I'm not a great eyeballer. I had to figure out my daily allowance of protein, divide by 6 and then measure it on a food scale for a while until I could really see it.

I believe bananas are high glycemic but one occasionally in a shake should be okay. It will not spike the insulin the way OJ will.
I find that Zone materials have great explanations about glycemic values of carbs. If you have any of those (I consult them on BFL because I have all the Zone books). If Barry Sears cut the level of fat and went to palm/fist, the Zone would be BFL eating. I liked the Zone but all the block stuff made it seem like algebra to me. But the importance of frequent eating and low glycemic carbs is an important part of the Zone and also BFL so that is a good source of info for figuring out which carbs to eat.

My favorite shakes:

Morning: Met Rx classic vanilla with half a cup of coffee,(sometimes I add sf cappucino mix) and Udos.
Myoplex Orange Jubilee (half) with an orange and Udos.

Afternoon: Absberry by Designer Protein with some fresh or frozen fruit thrown in. Berry Blast by MetRx with some fresh or frozen fruit thrown in

Evening (dessert!!!): half Orange Jubilee with sf/ff vanilla pudding (Cremesicle!)
Myoplex Vanilla Creme with pudding

Occasionally make my own with fresh and frozen fruit (not fruit juice!) and protein powder...............very good.
Old 06-19-2001, 12:22 PM   #13  
Check out my homepage=>

MrsJim ~ Shows ya how BFL minds think alike - I just posted my latest pic at L&S, before I saw that you had put yours there! You look GREAT!! Isn't it exciting to see the changes?! BFL has sure changed my life, not only my body!

About the other comments & experiences ~ I've been doing this so long that I rarely use the meal replacements any more. I like the taste (and cost!) of real foods & am now used to preparing, carrying & eating ALL that STUFF!

I cycle in and out of various supplements, depending on what my body seems to be needing at any given time. I absolutely SWEAR by glutamine, though. If I could only have one supplement, that would be it!

More later - I just wanted to check in!!
Old 06-19-2001, 12:41 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Exclamation Watch it with Phen-Free...

If you're using birth control pills, Phen-Free is something you may want to NOT use - since it has St. John's Wort in it. That can lower the effectiveness of your birth control pill - you might want to have a chat with your doctor first to make sure that the St. John's Wort won't mess up your birth control!

Just to be on the safe side, I don't use Phen-Free myself.

Bananas - I don't have my 'authorized foods' list in front of me (I'm at work right now) but I do know that the Myoplex Recipes pamphlet that is sometimes included in the box includes recipes that contain bananas. I don't believe they are especially high-glycemic but I'm staying away from them right now because I love them and tend to go way overboard on them! Mostly as far as fruit goes, I'm eating melon, peaches, and apples (plus some cherries since they are in season right now).

I've never liked OJ or any kinds of juices, they are a bit too sweet and acidy for my taste...

Bars - I find at work I HAVE to use bars. Our cafeteria closes at 3:00 and they don't have anything especially BFL-y anyway, so it's handy to have some Myoplex Lite Bars on hand. What I do now is about an hour before Meal #4 at 4:00, I open up a bar, cut it into small pieces, wrap it back up and pop it in the freezer in our work kitchen. (The first time I froze a Myoplex Lite bar it was as hard as a rock for 30 minutes - couldn't bite into it). Then I make sure I drink a LOT of water with it.

As soon as my box is gone, though, I'm going to switch to the Low-Carb Myoplex bars. BTW, I hardly ever buy anything at GNC - they are so expensive (even on the first Tuesday of the month when I don't seem to have any money on hand anyway - they timed that perfectly with when my rent is due!). I did order from saveonsupplements.com but I really prefer Netrition.com and Vitaglo.com as far as price!

Last edited by MrsJim; 06-19-2001 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-19-2001, 02:12 PM   #15  

Susanje-I know this sounds silly, but what is Udos?
I will try the Myoplex with the ff/sf pudding. Right now, the only Myoplex packets I have are the tropical ones, so I am going to use them up before I go out and buy more (besides that, I can't afford them right now.) A friend of mine gave me some NOW Whey Protein Shake in chocolate, which I am going to try also. This morning I bought the EAS chocolate fudge low-carb pre-mixed drinks from Walmart. I am going to see how these taste, too.

I am at work now, but after, I plan on doing my cardio.
Closed Thread