Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #1  

Question Embarrassed to exercise

Does anyone else feel embarrassed to exercise infront of their family?
StarAngel2528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:58 PM   #2  
Tons of fun!!!!

Not in front of my family but i purposely go to the gym at times when there are like maybe five other people at the most, and i wont go to the classes yet until i have lost a few more pounds cuz i am afraid i wont be able to keep up with everyone, which i know all this stuff is in my own head, but I dont where makeup or anything or do my hair after all its the gym but its still embarrassing!
hippiechic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:15 PM   #3  

I'm embarrased to NOT exercise. I have two kids, and I don't want them to end up like me (one is well on her way). Setting the good example is one thing I can be proud of myself for. After all, I have set the example of horrible eating habits, and they picked up on that very well. Maybe I can do something positive for myself and them. -Ruby
therubyslippers!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:21 PM   #4  

Wow, sorry StarAngel I just checked your profile, you are not old enough to have kids. So try this on for size: Exercising in front of your family may set a good example for a sister, brother, mom or dad or roommate. Plus seeing you do that may help them to understand your commitment to good habits, and they may be more likely to support your efforts at good health, or even spark them to join in and be healthier themselves. Whether you choose public or private exercise, don't give up!
therubyslippers!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:39 PM   #5  

Absolutely!! I don't have a problem exercising if front of my 7 year old, but I can't stand doing it in front of anyone else. It's a personal thing and I'm just a very private person. But as long as you're doing it, that's all that matters.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:30 PM   #6  

I think I'm embarrassed because my brothers are very much in shape and one of my brothers (who recently moved away) would call me fat alot growing up.... and I just feel very uncomfortable... (and No, I don't have kids )
Old 11-05-2004, 03:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

I'm with you StarAngel. I don't mind my husband seeing me sweaty when I am done working out, but I don't want to him to see me uncoordinate as I try and do my excercise vids. (Imagine hands and feet in every direction, while my flab just kind of jiggles up and down, UGH.) I usually just go out and run, that way only strangers who can't laugh at me (or I don't know it) see me.

One time when I was in a gym this really buff guy went off on a woman for remarking that "fat" people shouldn't be in the gym. He said that he admired them for getting out and working and he would rather share the gym with someone that was inexperianced and seriously trying to get in shape then someone who was there to be seen in spandex. Wow did that make me feel better about being there.

SJ
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:41 PM   #8  

Default Me too

No idea why but I can't bring myself to exersize infront of my husband, I'm perfectly fine and comfortable in the gym but when I'm at home I'm crazy or something and can't do it

Makes no sense either because my husband is 100% supportive of me no matter what shape I'm in or how I look.

Hopefully it's something I'll be able to get over one day

Chris

Last edited by ChrisK; 11-05-2004 at 04:42 PM. Reason: adding
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:47 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyjeans
One time when I was in a gym this really buff guy went off on a woman for remarking that "fat" people shouldn't be in the gym. He said that he admired them for getting out and working and he would rather share the gym with someone that was inexperianced and seriously trying to get in shape then someone who was there to be seen in spandex. Wow did that make me feel better about being there.

SJ
AMEN!

I know a lot of overweight/obese folks are scared to go to the gym. They'd rather walk on hot coals to China! But ya know...I was in that same boat myself, believe me! And trust me - just judging from MY gym (a 24 Hour Fitness) the "overweight" people FAR outnumber the skinny spandex people. (I must say that once in awhile we get someone who comes to work out in the latest Saks Fifth Ave designer workout stuff, with full makeup and perfect hair...to me they look ridiculous - especially in the morning! Do they not expect to SWEAT?)

I just think too many people have seen that John Travolta/Jamie Lee Curtis movie Perfect. There are probably SOME gyms like that but especially these days the VAST majority of public gyms are going to have a lot more 'not-perfect' people than the Spandex Queens we all hear so much about! And ya know something else...a good many of those gym regulars are quite nice and will even answer a question or two.

Another option you might want to try (can't you tell I'm not a home-workout person?) is JAZZERCISE - the classes are VERY size friendly and what's more, they're fun! Even if you have two left feet, you'll end up having a blast, and everyone is encouraged to work to their own level of fitness. If you go to the Jazzercise.com site, they generally have a coupon for a free class you can download. I went to Jazzercise for five years and loved it - if it weren't for my schedule, I'd probably STILL be going occasionally.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:17 PM   #10  

Hi StarAngel, Can you exercise at home when no one else is there? or perhaps in your own room with the door closed until you get more comfortable with it? What kind of exercise do you do at home? What about walking in your neighborhood if weather permits?

Jan
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 10:49 AM   #11  

Hey jansan, I try to get in all my exercise when no one else is home.. but sometimes they come while I'm doing it and I feel so uncomfortable and quit... I usually do WATPs, Ellipical machine(which I don't mind doing in front of them), pilates, and some dance video.. I can't do them in my room cause I don't have a VCR in my room.... AND I don't really like walking outside because the only place there is to walk is on a main street and guys drive by and beep at me I don't like it!
Old 11-06-2004, 11:03 AM   #12  

I do weights in front of my husband, but not cardio, which is usually Hi-Low or Step aerobics. I need all my concentration to do stepping on a nine inch step as I'm a big ol klutz - and just knowing someone is watching will cause me to fall and go boom. As for hi low, now that's embarrassing as I have two left feet. :P

Weights I don't care about - matter of fact I am having to recruit hubby to spot me now that I am lifting heavier!
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:08 AM   #13  
Proud Mama

I know. My husband is totally supportive of me working out, but I don't like to do cardio with him. I'll do weight training in front of him, but I don't like to do the other stuff. So embarrasing! Especially when he is just going to joke about what I'm doing? Uh, Hello! Like we don't already know that the aerobics video's look silly!
Uggamugga4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:05 PM   #14  

Hey! For me growing up (when I was quite fit) I worked out a lot in front of family (little brother, Mom and Dad) and it inspired my brother to lose nearly 100 lbs. It made my parents realize they weren't setting a good example by never having any family activity or seeing them workout. Now that I am a married young Mom I am trying to rid myself of baby weight (and a lot of it). I don't like doing certain workouts that I struggle with in front of my hubby. But when he watches me do my squats, thigh workout tape, and my abs work out, he thinks it's sexy to see me sweat!! I refuse to let him see me do my aerobic tape workout because I feel like an idiot doing the "cha cha" or "box step". Instead I walk w/him and/or our baby for 30-45 minutes 5 times a week on a trail near our home, and I do my Denise Austin toning dvd's at least four times a week.

Just keep working out (even if it has to be in front of family) because the rewards of being fit will get them to realize you are working towards your goal, and I promise they will compliment your efforts! If you need to, go to your room and make it a little gym. All you need is a chair (for thigh and rear exercises), hand weights (or large soup cans not opened yet), and a blanket(blanket is for the ab workout). Blast whatever kind of music you like and have fun!!
Kylesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:42 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
know a lot of overweight/obese folks are scared to go to the gym. They'd rather walk on hot coals to China!
Oh god do I know THAT feeling well. I have access to a FREE gym no less (well, not really, I pay for it in my tuition but it's a mandatory payment so ... ). Problem is, because everyone else on campus pays for it too, they all go there. Frankly, I'm embarrassed enough WALKING AROUND on campus with all the other teeny girls, let alone exercising with them. I know it's probably just me, as no one around here has really given me reason to be embarrassed, yet I am.
ali_cat is offline   Reply With Quote