Old 11-04-2004, 03:14 PM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default OT-Pink Eye

Has anyone had this before, like a really bad case? My left eye looks like something out of a horror movie, it is so red and it is just dripping tears and yellow discharge. Also extremely sore. Monday morning it felt like there was a huge piece of glass in my eye. Sorry if this is TMI. I have a dr's appt tonight. This started Sunday afternoon and I got a prescription for an antibiotic but I don't think it is doing anything. Just wondered if anyone has had a really bad case and how long did it take to go away?
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:57 PM   #2  

I'm glad you have a doctor's appt set up today. Eye/ear matters are not ones to hold off on!!

It would be odd to not have conjunctivitis in both eyes if you have had such dramatic symptoms for the past 4 days. It is highly contagious, so keep your hands washed. It may be viral in nature which could explain why the antibiotics are of no help, otherwise it responds well to meds...but you will need to avoid contacts, eye makeup for 10-14 days during treatment.

You may also have a corneal abrasion, so your doctor can rule this out as well.

Good luck!!
vivian10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 06:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

I've had it... in both eyes at the same time. BE VERY CAREFUL about touching your eye and rubbing the other with the same hand. Its miserable to have it in both eyes at the same time. Believe it or not, the yellow discharge is good to see.. It means it is carrying out the "germs". Usually your physician will treat it with some type of suspension eye drops. They usually work like a charm. Please note, conjunctivitis is very contageous!

Take care and good luck!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I have to echo Gretchen--pink eye is VERY contagious!

Also, as someone else mentioned, you could have a corneal abrasion. I had one in July, and it was extremely painful as well as gross with all the goo dripping. I was very sensitive to light also. It took a while for the antibiotic to kick in, by the way.

Hope you feel better soon.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:20 AM   #5  
Jen

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies. I'm know how contagious it is, as I am a nurse and work in a hospital so I haven't been to work all week. Which is just as well as I've also had the worst cold of my life this week as well. Tues and Wed were just awful days, I had chills or was flushed or was dripping with sweat those 2 days. I've also been super careful about washing my hands and not wiping my eyes etc so I've not got it in the other eye yet and no one else in the house has got it either.

The dr appointment was a waste of time. Just told me to give the antibiotics a chance to kick in. Of course I was feeling lousy from the cold and my brain was not functioning so I didn't even ask about a corneal abrasion. However from what I have looked at in my med books there isn't much to do except let it heal on its own and keep up with the drops.

Thanks again guys!
Old 11-05-2004, 04:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I had something similar but it wasn't pink eye. It started out like I had a grain of sand in my eye. By the next morning it was swollen shut and gunky. I got in to the eye doc and he said it was just an infection and gave me eyedrops. I had to go in 2 days later and my eye was looking much better. I ended up using all the drops in both eyes to get rid of the infection.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:14 PM   #7  
Jen

Well the antibiotics finally started to kick in yesterday and my eye is slowly clearing up. I don't look like something from Night of the Living Dead anymore! :lol It is a lot less red and definately not as much tearing but still some gunky discharge. Geez I hate being sick! Mostly I hate that I haven't been able to get to the gym all this week except Monday because I just felt so crappy. Guess it's almost a habit by now eh?
Old 11-06-2004, 01:31 PM   #8  
2006 - Panda Remix

I'm a bit late, but I thought I put my two pence worth in!

I suffer from a recurring condition in my eye called 'Iritis' - which is an inflammation of the iris. The symptoms are pain in the eye, like you've got glass in it or something, aching and your eye goes really red. I've spent many hours at the eye hospital and the only treatment is to take a course of steroids over 6 weeks.

Conjunctivitous is different in that it is an infection, not an inflammation - usually with conjunctivitous, there is no great pain - just itching and maybe a little soreness.

Hope this helps in the future - and I'm glad that your eye seems to be clearing up!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote