Old 11-02-2004, 06:40 PM   #1  
PamPSM644

Exclamation Want A Makeover

I have long gray hair.It used to be dark brown but I started to go gray at 18. I've always cut the front of it myself by squinting in a mirror Right now it's combed back into a bunch at the back of my head just to get it out of the way. I'm 50 but I look 60. I want to get it styled and colored but am afraid I'll go to the wrong place and get mutilated. I haven't worn make-up in so long I have no idea how to apply it age appropriate. I need help and lots of it.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:21 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Pam -- Good for you for wanting a makeover! Just ask a friend, sister-in-law, co-worker, someone who's hair style you like and ask them where they get it done and go there... Most places now also have estheticians along with the hair dressers... Or again ask your friend, SIL or Coworkers where they might go... But, do it don't be caught in a time warp... You'll also feel better about your weightloss with a new do and face...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:17 PM   #3  
beautiful

go for it!!! you sooooo deserve it! check around like Lanaii mentioned. if you lived here i'd take you to my stylist, she's the greatest and i won't let anyone other than her touch the hair on my head or my kids' heads.
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:27 PM   #4  

Pam-- start collecting pictures of hairstyles you like. Then ask the hairstylist if she/he thinks the style is appropriate for your hair type and face structure. That way you'll be less likely to be disappointed if it doesn't look just like the picture.

I am always cutting out pictures of haircuts that are done in thick or curly hair and my hairstylist is really clear with me that she can't change my DNA (I've got fine, straight hair ). But it gives her an idea of what I'm looking for and we start brainstorming from there.

And I agree with Lanaii-- I've been known to stop total strangers in stores and ask them where they get their hair done if I like it.

And it goes without saying that we'd all love to see before and after pictures!!! Good luck and go for it!
SkinnyBoPeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I LOVE makeovers! You should totally do it My mother also has a lot of gray hair, and she recently got some blond streaks added to a brown overall colors.. anyways, I don't like it so much, I love dark hair though The weirdest place, and best makeup advice I ever got was from a Mary Kay consultant, and while I don't believe in buying that expensive of makeup.. the woman I saw was really good. Or if you have The Body Shop, they do makeovers, and can show you how to use makeup, and I love their products. Also.. get your eyebrows done.. they really frame the face and nice eyebrows can change the overall look of your face.. hmm.. maybe you should just come to my house, I'll do it all!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:00 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Thumbs up

Excellent idea to get the eyebrows done, it makes all the difference in the world... So do it Pam... I'd love to see pics too....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:45 AM   #7  

As far as age appropriate makeup, try going to an Estee Lauder or Clinque counter in a department store and they will do your makeup there and if you like it you can buy the stuff, if not they will keep messing around with different colors, etc until they find something for you.
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:19 AM   #8  
PamPSM644

You all are so sweet. I'm going today. I'm terrified. I wish I had a dig,camera and knew how to post pics but you'll have to be content with discription as I am "technically challenged".Good suggestions and keep your fingers crossed for me.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:28 PM   #9  

Question

Pam!!!!! How did it go?!?!?!? I'm on pins and needles!!!

Old 11-04-2004, 07:11 PM   #10  
PamPSM644

I did it. It's shoulder length,feathered in the front and layered on the sides and the back.I love it. She told me it would be better for me to go to a beauty supply and ask them to mix a warm brown,eather a 4 or a 5.That way when I come get my hair trimmed it'll save me 30$ if I color it myself.I'm going to have to start useing "mousse" and buy a blow dryer.I feel very "hip".
Old 11-04-2004, 09:30 PM   #11  

YAY!!!!!!! Doesn't it put a spring in your step? Now I want one too...
Old 11-04-2004, 10:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I'm so glad they advised you on what colour to buy... and it's so much cheaper to do an all over colour at home. And I love cheap, infact, I bought pinstripped pants from Old Navy for 11.99! I almost felt guilty (I never really buy things for myself), but for 11.99, how can you go wrong! Oops, little off topic, anyways, I'm glad things went so well
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

glad to hear you liked it. WTG
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #14  
2006 - Panda Remix

Pam - I am so glad that you got your hair styled! I know it can be hard as we have to put alot of trust in our hairdresser don't we? It sounds like you are VERY pleased with the results - I bet it has taken years off you!

How about a piccie?

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote