South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 09:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Question clarification-info from a different message board

I'm curious about something that has been mentioned-well, I guess I should say, pushed as gospel- on a different forum. It's interesting how different forums focus on different aspects of SBD.

These 2 comments I'm wondering about. I don't remember reading it in the book. Maybe someone has seen it someplace else?

"Even though the list is "Foods to Enjoy," you have to balance proteins with vegetables. 2 cups veggies per meal for every 3-4 ounce serving of meat or dairy proteins (this from the "pay a monthy fee for insider SBD info" official forum)."

"You are allowed 1 Mandatory tablespoon of oil per meal. "

Has anyone read or heard these 2 comments before? I attempted to get clarification on that forum, but they get a little testy if you question what they say so I didn't want to push it.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:17 AM   #2  

I always heard a half cup of vegetables for breakfast and two cups each for lunch and dinner. I don't know where I heard that though.

As to the second, I did read somewhere about limiting your healthy oils to maximum of 1 TBSP per meal because they do contain calories but from a critical point of view I would have to ask how it can be that they are allowing you 1 TBSP (which implies optional) but it is mandatory (which implies you must consume 1 TBSP).

Last edited by Barb0522; 11-03-2004 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:21 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

3 TABLESPOONS of olive oil is 41 grams of fat and 358 calories! Are they insane?

We need between 20 and 30 grasms per day in order to utilize vitamins and minerals in our food. There is something wrong somewhere!
Old 11-03-2004, 11:22 AM   #4  
A Lily from my yard!

Hum... I know with WW (my MIL does it) Core program you have to have 2 tsp. of good oil per day. I do not recall reading that about the veggies or oil anywhere in the book. Nor I have I ever read it in the Daily Dish. 6 cups of veggies a day would probably really boost weight loss but I know I will probably never consume that much. I eat veggies but I can't even get in the recommended of 4.5 cups. But I am working on trying to eat more.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:58 AM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

It sounds like this is someone's interpretation of what they have read. I don't think that Agatson is expecting us to eat good fats everyday...only that if we eat fats, they should be good ones, and obviously, we should try to limit the amount. There are definitely days when I get no oils in my diet.

As to the veggies, I think we all agree that we need to eat as much as we can, but I don't think there is anything in the books to suggest that there is some kind of balance between veggies and protein. That sounds like the Zone and other diets that are into segmenting and matching foods. If you check the FAQ, there is a post on what to eat at each meal that a 3FCer found in the official SBD online forum. Interesting, but I don't think it says that you need to have a certain amount of veggies for each portion of protein.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:30 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, two TEASPOONS of oil per day would be reasonable but NOT three Tablespoons! There are three teaspoons in a Tablespoon. Maybe somebody got the two mixed up!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I wasn't sure. I did think that a tablespoon of oil per meal would be quite a lot of fat and calories.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:07 PM   #8  

I have never seen a recommended amount of protein but going from the recipes, this is the amount you should be having anyway. I have read the 4.5 cups of vegies a day somewhere. I think that is common knowledge but haven't heard of the oil allocation. It makes sense that there should be some set amount and if you are eating lean meats, l/f dairy and loads of veges you won't be taking in much fat (which we need in our diet).
Closed Thread