Old 10-29-2004, 03:07 PM   #1  
PamPSM644

Default OT-Does anyone know of support groups for the following

My sister is a meth addict and has terminal cancer. I'm the only family thats willing to help her as she has driven everyone else away.I run her errands,do her shopping,pay her bills,and take her to doctors apointments.My problem is that I sometimes become resentfull.The doctors say that her cancer would likely of been cureable if she had gotten checked out when the symtoms first started but she had refused to go until it was to late.She has renards which the doctors say was caused and continues to worsen because of the meth.She has an arthrtic hip which makes it almost impossible for her to walk.The doctors would of and wanted to do hip replacement but couldn't because she would not give up the speed.Her nurse practioner indulges her by perscribing syringes and now that the vicadum isn't working so well with the meth my sister is looking for harder drugs like H.I get so angry sometimes I have to avoid her until I calm down.I think it might help me if there was some place I could go to and vent or get advice on how to deal with her.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:29 PM   #2  

I'm wondering if Al-Anon might help. It is a support group affiliated with AA for friends and family members of alcoholics, and I'm sure they deal with other types of addictions as well.

Also, you might call the United Way agency where you live and ask if they know of anything.

Good luck.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:30 PM   #3  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

You might try doing a search of the web ~ I found a couple sites that might be of help to you.

www.whentheywontquit.com
www.soberrecovery.com
www.naranon.com

I know there is a thing called al anon ~ a support group for family members of alcoholics. Maybe the nar anon is something like that.

Hope this helps ~ hang in there ~ my thoughts are with you.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:36 PM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

Quitabuse is a non-profit society of people on the internet, who are fighting abuse worldwide (including substance abuse). There is a chatroom and message board where you can vent and receive support from those who understand: http://www.quitabuse.org/

Here's a link to the National Cancer Institute's "Cancer Support Groups: Questions and Answers" page: http://cis.nci.nih.gov/fact/8_8.htm

Good luck.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:00 PM   #5  
beautiful

this is really sad. i dont know where to go other than what's already been posted. i hope you can find some help soon.
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:12 PM   #6  
PamPSM644

Glynn,I tried those links and the naronon was perfect. Thanks so much. I have spent hours looking for a place like that.I've already posted and am waiting for replies.I titled my post,"Description of a 57 yr old meth addict", I"m hoping that even though my sister can't or won't help herself her story may help others without her knowing it. Thank you.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Pam, you might also try a local newspaper in the "events" section. I know mine has listings such as Al-Anon and an entirely separate one for family/friends of narcotics abusers, I forget what it's called though.

I'm really sorry all this burden was put on you. It's really sad.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 02:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

I hope some of the things the other gals here have suggested help. Although, if she doesnt want help, there isnt anything that you can do to *make* her quit. its a bit like weight loss/getting healthy. The person has to want to do it, and do it for themselves. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote