General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 11:30 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs up The Plan/A Plan/What Plan...Fall Edition

Whatever your plan - you are welcome to post w/ Alice, Judi, LaDean, Ledom who are the regular posters here. We are interested in maintaining our health, losing a few lbs., but most of all living a good life. We visit as much about pets, gardens, weather, family and household concerns as we do diets. But diet is the underlying element that unites us. LaDean is having great success w/ Atkins, I am a BFL diehard that is trying a few weeks of South Beach to shake things up, Judi and Alice are loyal to Weight Watchers but veer into new territory from time to time. Here is to a fabulous fall and maintaining, or better yet losing, through the upcoming holidays. I love fall!! It's my favorite season.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:38 AM   #2  
Chick

LaDean, I am so happy you have a vacation coming up. It's great to get away, it makes home better I think.

All is well here. I don't like not eating carbs, I miss them. I want an apple, I want some oatmeal, I want a baked sweet potato. It isn't natural not to eat carbs! I plan to stay the course for the initial 2 week period however. I hope as a result of eliminating them for a while that when I reintroduce them I'll appreciate 2 or 3 servings a day and won't go back to 6. We'll see.

Getting a haircut a little later today and I plan to check up on a new gym that just opened in the neighborhood. I doubt I'll join unless the terms are very good because I have a perfectly good gym in my basement. On the other hand if I feel I can afford it for a short while and the hours are to my liking I will consider it for the benefit of doing something new that might shake me out of my exercise lethargy of the moment.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:51 AM   #3  

Hi,

ledom, thank you for starting another thread. By the way, I absolutely love the title of the thread. You will get through these 2 weeks. When you get weighed at the end of the 2 weeks it will all be worth it. Did you decide to join the gym? I can't recall if I mentioned that I was going to try the new WW Core program. It looks like it would be something up my alley, no counting or anything. Just eat from an extensive list of foods, eat when you're hungry and stop when you're satisfied. I am now finally getting back into the swing of things with getting meals. We are relying less and less on frozen meals and take out.

LaDean, hope you have a wonderful time on your trip. Tell us all about it when you get back.

Have a great day ladies.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:59 PM   #4  

Hi gals, love the title of our board is cute... i do not think i will reach goal in morning. as up 1.50 now. so will be good today. what is meant to be is.. thanks all i will let you know for sure how my trip goes. anixious and excited. i am ready for a vacation. ha tuffy seems to be doing ok. he will be in good care. I am glad your plans are working. its such a great feeling to have our plans all in hand i think. have a good day. LaDean
Old 10-15-2004, 06:33 AM   #5  
Chick

Good morning, I woke up at 4 this morning and knew it was no use to try to get back to sleep. I hate when that happens.

I checked out the new gym yesterday and it is really nice. I am going to sleep on the decision to join though. If I do it will be short term until if I decide it is right for me. It is 1/2 mile from my house, it is brand new and packed w/ beautiful new equipment. I don't think it would turn out to be a social gym, more down to business. It is a fitness and rehab gym, owned by a physical therapist. It has 24 hr. access, one uses a card to enter at any time. It is $35 a month w/ an initial $20 fee for the card key. All are good reasons to join. I am just not sure if I am ready to commit - I do have equipment in my basement and I have been trying to cut back on my expenses. Like I said, I want to think about it a little first.

The act of going to visit and think about the gym has had the good effect of making me decide to get busy w/ exercise again. I went to a yoga class last night, missed the last 2 weeks due to being out of town, and am going to do weights and cardio in my home gym this a.m.

So far so good with south beach. It has been easier to stick with it because it is a change. I am eating some different foods (lowfat cheese) and also eating less. I think mostly because it is something new, a new project so to speak. I guess boredom really is a factor in weight loss sometimes.

Hope everyone has a great day. I hope I don't crash mid-day due to lack of sleep!
Old 10-15-2004, 06:49 AM   #6  

Good morning,

ledom, just before we moved I was waking up in the wee hrs. of the morning and not being able to go back to sleep and also when we first moved into the house. Hopefully my sleep pattern is straightening out. Hope that you won't need a nap this afternoon. You'll probably go to bed early tonight. Whether or not joining a gym is quite a decision to make. Joining the gym would be good if you would like a change in atmosphere for your exercising. You haven't mentioned kayaking in a while. Do you still do that? Glad that SBD is going well for you.

LaDean, have a wonderful time on your trip. Hope you win a bundle. Did you make goal today?
Old 10-15-2004, 07:57 AM   #7  
Chick

Hey Alice,

Just wanted to say I did get my workout it. Also, I thought I'd just drive by the gym this a.m. as a practice run, bout the same time I would go if i joined. There were 2 30 something men in there working out. I think that might intimidate me, at least the first time I walked in. Also, as I heat up in my basement I like to shed clothes and usually end up working out in my sports bra, that sure wouldn't happen in a public place. I think I am going to stick w/ what I got. I enjoyed my workout this a.m., I felt rested and strong and I had everything I needed to work out with. I believe I'll save the gym for this summer when I have more time and can be more flexible in the times I go. I am sure I will be revisiting this but for the time being I think I'll stick with what I got.

Have a blast on your trip LaDean.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:53 AM   #8  

Hey ledom,

That miight intimidate me too. I would prefer the privacy of my own home, or with a group that looked like me, overweight and middleaged. Glad that your workout went well for you.

A cool front came through yesterday afternoon and knocked the humidity out of the air. It's rather cool this morning. I'm sure it will warm up so that we can open the house up and get some fresh air circulating.

Have a good weekend.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:31 PM   #9  

oh, i would not want that either.. i would do it at home to. I know our Elks has a gym and its free. well i went awhile. then guys started coming in and all. it just was not the same. so i got a ex bike, cardio glider and all and just do it at home...

I had a fun trip to reno. watched my eating and all. gained only one lb. so i was happy about that. what carbs i added was not bad. so now know i can have them but sensibly and not many.. so it helped. tops in the am hope to be down or the same. then last week of month hope to reach goal. good luck to all of you. LaDean
Old 10-22-2004, 10:31 AM   #10  
Chick

Good to have you back LaDean! I am glad you had fun!

Guys, I have another tragic cat story. I had to have my Brody put to sleep this week. He had cancer of all things and only 1 1/2 years old. You can imagine, it was not a good week. It seems to me that it came on very fast. I only noticed him not being himself the last 2 weeks. He was losing weight and at then end just not looking or feeling well. May he rest in peace, he was the prettiest and sweetest cat I have ever had, just really special.

Sigh, so you that have followed my story know I have lost 3 cats in the last 2 years and 2 in the last few months. A record for sure. I still have Tweeg the blessed long lived cat, she is 15. And Rosie who is 7 mo. and will be going for her girl surgery here in a few days. And, the new kitten I brought home yesterday, he is 3 months. No name yet.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:57 PM   #11  

Oh ledom, I am so sorry about Brody. I could tell from how you talked about him that you loved him very much and that he was a very sweet cat. I'm sure he will be missed very much. On a happier note, you have a brand new kitty to raise. Have you any idea what you want to name him?

LaDean, glad that you're back and had a good time on your vacation. You did very well sticking with Atkins while you were away.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:44 PM   #12  

Ledom. so very sorry i know how your feeling. prayers with you. I have an idea my little dog has it. have had him for 12 years. they say boston bull terriers have cancer alot.. so i pray daily and so thankful to have him each day.. has been scary at times. these animals are our babies and family... so sorry.... you take care.

aleka, i had a ball yes. and was so proud to stick to my plan. i knew if i ate at the buffets i could do it and i did.. i alreay got the gain off this morning. Oh pray that i will reach goal this week. but i will wait. as waiting we are taught and to have patience in the end there is rewards...

thanks to both of you,. you both are doing so well to. i am proud of you also. Have a great weekend to all. LaDean
Old 10-26-2004, 11:43 AM   #13  
Chick

Morning Alice and LaDean, I am feeling better now. Last week was tough. The new kitty is assimilating to his new home. He is a shy one, but has joined in the kitty fun w/ Rosie, he runs when he thinks I am going to pick him up. When I do pick him up though he doesn't seem to mind, he has a great purr reflex and starts purring almost immediately when he gets his head scratched. I think his name is Buster. For some reason it has been hard to come up w/ a name. Buster seems to fit though. DD came home to meet him last night and she thinks he is a good cat.

I hosted a dinner party on Sat. night to introduce one of our new faculty members to some people. It was a younger crowd, late 20's/early 30s and there were 2 babies under 1 year. This was new territory for me but it turned out wonderfully. Was a bit stressful getting the house cleaned, the menu executed, etc. but in the end all worth it.

I managed to give SB phase I 8 days before I broke the diet. Once the stress over Brody kicked in and the dinner party too, it was over for me. I fell off pretty hard. I don't like not having carbs, I craved them all the time. Yesterday I worked out and this morning too. Food wasn't so great yesterday but I plan to do good on that today as well. I am back to something that looks more like BFL but I did learn some stuff from SB, I can enjoy an occasional meal w/out a carb and I picked up a couple of new recipes I like. It was also good to shift out of the strict BFL mindset, I feel like everything has given me new tools and I am feeling freer to accomodate my tastes, likes and dislikes in a way that will work for me. Exercise is key though, I have had a good little break from it and now I want to be the centerpiece of my efforts again.

Take care and judi, hope you'll be back soon.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:59 AM   #14  

Good morning,

We voted earlier this morning to avoid the crowd next week. DH & I are used to small town voting with paper ballots. We had new touch machines and I was a little apprehensive, but everything went smoothly.

ledom, glad that Buster is making himself at home. How did Rosie greet him? When we brought a new kitty into the house our other cat mothered her. Your dinner party sounds like it was fun. What was on the menu? DH & I have been walking just about every morning. It's been fun exploring the neighborhood. We have a set route now, but as we get more in shape we've got another route all mapped out that will take us a little longer. What I love about walking here is it's all flat...no hills. I've been doing well on the WW Core program. I had a bad weekend eating-wise, but I'm back on track now.

LaDean, did you make goal last week? Hope Tuffy is ok and doesn't have cancer.

Have a great day.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:21 PM   #15  

Aleka, tuffy is ok but we think he might have it. has some growths. but not having a thing done as long as hes like he is.. so thankful. we have never been told he does. No never made goal. just gained 1/2 lb and reno and all for 3 days. but i was good and ate on my plan. i hope to reach it this week. but if its meant to be i will. so close and so thankful for that. i am trying. have cut down carbs this week.. I am glad all is going good with you..

Ledom, so glad the new little kitty is working out and all. and also that its getting better for you. i have also been not exercising. got to get with it to. and i will. glad your getting your old plan to going. yes i like to try new ones as get new ideas and all. have a good day all of you

Judi hope all is good your way and just busy.... miss you

to all a good day. LaDean
Closed Thread