Old 10-21-2004, 03:43 PM   #1  
Giving it a try (again)

Default Wanna run?

Hi I'm new and I have been going on 5K runs for the last two weeks. I'm slow, slow, slow but I can still do it in about 35-40 mins. I am looking for a buddy who is interested in taking up running and who will help keep me going when I don't feel like it (and vica verca of course!). I really want this to be a lifestyle change, something lasting!

Is anyone interested in checking in daily to post distances and times for runs as well as cross training (for me it's power walking).

My goal is to lose 20 lbs by Christmas. That's 2 lbs a week! This is my first week back on the program!

Last edited by fannie~annie; 10-21-2004 at 03:46 PM.
fannie~annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:16 PM   #2  
Made my Goal weight!

Default HI there

I too am getting back into running....I just had a baby 4 weeks ago and have been running for about 2 weeks now...2-3 times a week...I am up to 4km right now, but not too sure how long it took me to run it, but now I will keep track of time....my goal is to be able to run 10km by March so I can run my first race....
Some times I find it hard to get the motivation TO run but after I run I am so glad I did...
How often are you running?
I will totally post my distance and time, as I am trying to lose this pregnancy weight and I am in a wedding on New years.!!

Leanne
LeanneM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:57 PM   #3  
Giving it a try (again)

Holy !! Running already! Well hats off to you! I also have three kids and it's next impossible to find time to run except for at my lunch hour...

I am running four times a week right now. I want to increase that but I've been told to take it easy since I am just starting out.

Last week was my first week of serious commitment to running. Here is my schedule:

Mon: 45 min run (usually between 5-6K)
Tues: 60 min power walk
Wed: 45 min run (usually between 5-6K)
Thurs: 60 min power walk
Fri: 45 min run (usually between 5-6K)
Sat: Rest
Sun: 8-10K run (an hour or so)

I am considering substituting shorter runs on Tues and Thrus instead of walking for an hour...

Do you have a schedule?
Old 10-25-2004, 08:49 PM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I had never run in my life until last year. Now I run almost daily. If I can't go after work, I go at lunch. I've managed two 5K races, but 5K is hard on me. Maybe I just push so hard for speed that it wears me out. Some days I'm able to get in 3 miles, which is only a hair under 5K, but mostly I do around 2.5 miles.

Coming from a former heart surgery patient who couldn't even run a quarter mile last year though I'm doing about 10 minute miles now. Maybe if I slow down more I could go further. But I always like to get done so I can get other things done. The only time I manage to walk is at lunch (I take a fast walk for my lunch hour then eat at my desk afterward). But generally walking is too slow for me...takes too much time when there's so much more I need to do. LOL
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:03 PM   #5  
Made my Goal weight!

wow Ladies,

I feel like such a slow poke....today I ran 5km...now, it is my first time running this distance since January (when I found out I was prego) so it took me about 47 minutes...BUT, the good thing about running is I will onyl get better....I am really psyched about running my 1st 10km race next year...and I must admit...4 weeks after having a baby I was able to run 5km...wow...I am quite happy....
Fannie- my schedule so far is run- monday wed, friday...at LEAST 4km and definitely try to go as far as I can...TUe, thurs- elliptical....just to give my joints a break...
Almost- Good for you...keep up the good work....I always HATE running while I am doing it but amazingly happy once I have finished...and I find running so rewarding...I went almost my whole life thinking I COULD never run...but I put 2 bras on and I havent looked back since...

Leanne
Old 10-25-2004, 11:39 PM   #6  

well it seems that I am newer to it then all of you or much more out of shape. I can run 20 minutes nonstop but that is about all I can do. I walk for a little while, and then run more. I usually do intervals but today I did it different to see exactly what I am capable of. I ran 20, walked 15, ran 15, walked 10, ran 10, walked 5 ran 5 and then did small intervals until I had 7 miles all together. I did run almost 5 miles today which is a big improvement for me. About 1.5 months ago I couldn't even go .25 miles before having to stop because I couldn't catch my breath. I try to run 4 days a week but figured that I can do intervals tomorrow with it. I am beginning to love running it is just sometimes hard. I figure that I can do intervals from now until sat and then take sunday off. On monday do like today and see how far I can go nonstop. Then increase my intervals. I was told that it is easier to increase a little each week so will try that.
gabwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:28 AM   #7  
Giving it a try (again)

I am so happy to meet so many new runners! It's addictive eh?

Gabwill - If you are having a hard time catching your breath you might be running too fast. When I run I go really really really slow. Some people could probably power walk as fast as I run, BUT I never run out of breath. It's not painful at all.

Leanne - your 5k time is about the same as mine. I ran 5K in 44 min yesterday and that was an improvement over my 46 min time just the week before.

Almostheaven - I know how you feel! I am supposed to power walk today because I ran yesterday, but I get too impatient when I'm walking. I always have the urge to start jogging! I think I'm going to run again today but I'll just go slowly.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:28 PM   #8  

I ran another 3 .3 miles today which felt good (did my intervals). I did it at the same pace I am used to. Next monday I will change up the intervals by adding a minute to my run time since I want to be able to run a bit more then what I am now. After I know that I can run 5 miles nonstop then I will increase my speed.

fannie-annie- It isn't that I lose my breath anymore but that is how it was in the beginning. I have come a long way since then and am loving to run without losing my breath. I still have to learn a bit more to control my breathing a bit better but am comfortable with how I am now.
gabwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:14 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

Tell me about it Gab. When I first started, a tenth left me ready to fall down gasping for air. I thought there was no way I'd ever run a whole mile. I also held the bars on the treadmill and if I turned my head the slightest bit, I'd start to lose my balance. I started at about a 3.4 or 3.6 walk speed. Another gal would often be there at the same time on the other treadmill. She said I should work on removing my hands for a bit at a time until I could do it and keep my balance, then begin swinging my arms...that it would help trim my waste. She was walking at 4.2. Over a year later, I swing my arms, walk at 4.2 and can turn my head to look at something or speak to someone without breaking stride.

I really never thought I'd be able to do this stuff cause it didn't seem possible then. But it gradually worked up. In the Rock-n-Race, my second 5K, I clocked in at 31.09. So looking at some of these other times, I really probably need to slow it down tremendously. I got behind another jogger one day, and there was no sidewalk and cars were coming, so I couldn't go around her, and I thought she was really going extremely slow, but I stayed behind her for awhile until I could go around. Maybe she had the right idea though. I guess I'm just trying to compete with a co-worker who's been running all his life and did that same 5K in 20 minutes. The show off. LOL!
Old 10-27-2004, 08:21 AM   #10  
Giving it a try (again)

Good morning !!

Well I had a great night and a great run yesterday! I shaved 5 min off my 5K time but since I have only been running for a week it's hard to know what 5K time actaully is. I figure I'll average it out over the next month or so... and it's obviously bound to improve quickly at the beginning.

When it comes right down to it, it's really about feeling good! I feel great when I run. I feel amazing when I see my own improvement or reach a personal best. I am a bit competitive and this gives me a good outlet!

My ultimate goal is to run a marathon. I have been looking at a half marathon race in May 2005, and I think I might register and train for it. It's a bit early yet, but it's something to look forward to.

Thanks for all of your encouragement !

almostheaven - 31 mins is an amazing time!!! Have you tried a 10K I bet your time would be just a good!

gabwill - 3.3 miles is a great distance... I think it's about 7K?

With an addiction to running, I don't think it's going to be hard to lose weight!!! My weigh in is on Friday so I'm going to try to get in two more runs before then. I'm aiming to lose 2-3 lbs this week. I know that it's ambitious but no harm in trying eh?
Old 10-27-2004, 09:05 AM   #11  
Made my Goal weight!

Hey ladies...

today i am planning to run...right now I am shooting for at least 4km, then I will do 5km on friday...then next week I will run 6km, 5km, 6km...and week by week ill go more and more...

Fannie annie- I see you are from Almonte, is that near Ottawa?? I am in the process of picking which race I want to run next year...I am looking into March or April, once I have a date it makes me push myself even more....I too can be quite competitive, but it is mostly with myself....

almost- wow, i just ran 5km in 47 minutes...ouch...but now your 31 min gives me a goal to shoot for....i have been concentrating more on how far I can run for now until I work up to 10km, then I will work on my time...

well, since running, my weight is literally sliding off....which makes me VERY VERY VERY happy...
Have a good day everyone...Happy running!
Leanne
SW 204 ( sept 21- day before I had baby)
SW 190 ( came home from hosp)
CW 171.8
GW 140 (new years)
LGW 125-130
Old 10-27-2004, 09:26 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

HI everyone I just tripped across this thread and wanted to now if I could join in. I am just starting to run as well and usually end up running 2.5 to 3 miles. I'm pretty slow a 5K takes me about 45 minutes also. Wow its so nice to know someone else runs at the same pace as me.

I was doing really good about running 5 or so times a week but the past few weeks have kind of slacked off, to about 2/week. I have a hard time motivating myself, especially when its cold. but I love that "I feel so good when I'm done" feeling.

SJ
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 01:22 PM   #13  
No description available.

Fun fun fun to see all of the runners! I ran a 5K on Sunday in 38 minutes. I am jazzed I ran the whole way! I am considering a half marathon or a marathon next year. There is a local program where you meet once a week for the long runs and run about 30-50 minutes 3 times a week. Weight loss is a nice side effect of running!
Jen
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #14  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
almostheaven - 31 mins is an amazing time!!! Have you tried a 10K I bet your time would be just a good!
Would love to Fannie, but 5K leaves me ready to fall over and declare breathing to be an exercise unto itself. I really should try to slow down the speed and work on the distance. But I already feel like I'm just trotting now. I was going even faster though, but a co-worker kept telling me to slow down more to get that distance. And it worked and I was able to run 5K. But it was hard to slow down even then.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:33 AM   #15  
Giving it a try (again)

Good morning everyone!!!

Well I ran 5.6K yesterday in 41min but I really felt tired. I didn't have the energy. But that was after running four days in a row. So today I'm taking a day off. I'll just power walk. I left my running gear at home so that I wouldn't have a choice. Walking seems like such a waste of time because I can only earn 2-3 APs, but I know if I run I can earn 5! Oh well.

Almostheaven - you burn way more calories when you run slow for a long time! But it's true you do have to run very slowly. It feels more like a shuffle than an actual run! LOL. But when you are done it feels amazing!!

midwife - is your running group with the running room? i would love to join one of their clinics, but I live in a small town and there is no running room near by.

skinnyjeans - my time is almost the same as yours. In the last two weeks I have shaved about 3-4 minutes off my time. I actually ran in in 39 mins once! I felt like a million bucks!!

Leanne - YES! Almonte is near Ottawa. We're practically neighbours LOL! If you could commute to Ottawa there is the Santa Shuffle on Dec 4th and the Resolution Run on Dec 31. There is a 5K and a 10K. I know it's hard with the kids but maybe you could bring them as your cheering section! That's what I am doing!