View Single Post
Old 10-24-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
funniegrrl

You do NOT need to wait until you lose more before starting strength training. Strength training can be done safely and effectively at ANY weight or fitness level.

Skip the Richard Simmons tapes -- I really like his enthusiasm but he does not really teach proper form. Any video that combines "toning" with cardio is not bad, but you really won't get any good strength training results from them.

I am a big fan of Kathy Smith's strength training videos. I started using her first Lift Weights to Lose Weight video when I weighed well over 300 pounds. I later picked up an older series of hers, Secrets of a Great Body (currently available only in VHS), and recently she came out with volume 2 of Lift Weights to Lose Weight. I would recommend starting with the first Lift Weights to Lose Weight video, although vol 2 is fine to start with as well. For either of these, all you need to start with is a pair of 3 lb. dumbells and a pair of 5 pound dumbells. As you progress, you will graduate to 5's and 8's, then 8's and 10's, etc. Don't worry about getting fancy chrome or neoprene-covered ones -- go to a serious athletic store like Academy Sports and get the cheap iron ones. The VHS or DVD plus the starter set of weights will cost you $35 - $40 max and you'll be good to go for 4 to 8 weeks before you buy anything else.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote