Old 10-24-2004, 04:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

Default Strength Training at Home?

I was just reading somewhere that strength training is a great way to lose weight because you are gaining muscle and muscle burns more calories than fat. My question is: "Can I do strength training at home?" If so,.. is there a dvd or specific workout anyone can reccommend? Would I need alot of equipment etc?
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:50 AM   #2  

Strenght training is great for lots of reason. First yes muscles burns more calories than fat, second it will help tighten and tone your muscles so you look leaner and in better shape, second it will help tighten and tone your skin as you lose weight. Not to mention how the endorphins it releases will help you feel less hungry and tired all the time. There are some videos available but I have never used them because I go to the gym but I know they are out there. Usually you only need a few free weights and some resistance bands. For a short time I did Denise Austins Pilates for everybody video and that had some resistance band as well as core strengthening and I saw great results using that. I hope you find something that works for you!
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Heather, I know that my mom used to use something called a dyna band (or something like that), it is what Julie mentioned, the resistence bands. I know you can buy smith machines and the like, but they are big and pretty expensive. I'd recommend checking out the ladies who lift board, they're quite helpful over there, and they have some great links posted under the stickies.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:10 PM   #4  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Heather, a set of dumbbells is pretty inexpensive (as long as you actually use them ) and you can do a whole LOTTA weight training with them. Over the long-term, they will be much more beneficial to you than the bands. I know they can be intimidating at the beginning because you don't know unless someone tells you, how to do the exercises, how many to do, if you're doing them right, etc. But truly, it's not rocket science, and there are some really great resources out there (most notably stumptuous.com and exrx.com, and of course our own champs over at LWL.) So once you get them, you can get started right away with some basic exercises. There are some books also that I could recommend -- they're helping me as we speak. I know there are some videos out there, I think Cathe Friedrich and Kathy Smith each have a respected weight training series, so those could be alternatives as well.

I think the dumbbells are a must-have though, either way. (And your hubby could use them also!) If you want to talk more about the benefits of the different kinds of weights, I'd be happy to help out to the best of my ability!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:31 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Heather,
When I started my most recent weight loss journey back in May, I had a sprained knee ligament so walking was quite painful along with any other cardio. So I started just doing weights and honestly I have fit in more cardio into my exercise regimen but not a lot. I attribute most of my weight loss to the weights and even though I have built muscle and strength, I have continued to lose inches.

I would definitely say look into buying some dumbbells and looking into a video that shows you how to do various exercises but I don't have any recommendations in that department. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, here or LWL is a great forum.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 06:02 PM   #6  

Hmmm,... I do have an old set of richard simmons toning tapes that i bought a couple years ago (another one of my failed weight loss attempts) One tape targeted lower bocy, the other, upper body and it had this resistance band thingy with it. The set of tapes was for "toning" and I always assumed that toning was for people that were overall skinny/fit. Maybe I should dig those tapes out and find that band thing? or do I need to lose more first?
Old 10-24-2004, 06:18 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Heather, toning is a bogus word to make women more attracted to strength training As I said, strength training is mostly what I do because it builds muscles which raises up your metabolism allowing you to burn more calories while you are doing nothing. Weights are one of the best things to do if you are overweight because there is no weight restriction, there is no impact and it burns fat fat fat. Bands would probably be a good start but I think as you get better with that, you'll need to use some other things including dumbbells.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 06:24 PM   #8  

You do NOT need to wait until you lose more before starting strength training. Strength training can be done safely and effectively at ANY weight or fitness level.

Skip the Richard Simmons tapes -- I really like his enthusiasm but he does not really teach proper form. Any video that combines "toning" with cardio is not bad, but you really won't get any good strength training results from them.

I am a big fan of Kathy Smith's strength training videos. I started using her first Lift Weights to Lose Weight video when I weighed well over 300 pounds. I later picked up an older series of hers, Secrets of a Great Body (currently available only in VHS), and recently she came out with volume 2 of Lift Weights to Lose Weight. I would recommend starting with the first Lift Weights to Lose Weight video, although vol 2 is fine to start with as well. For either of these, all you need to start with is a pair of 3 lb. dumbells and a pair of 5 pound dumbells. As you progress, you will graduate to 5's and 8's, then 8's and 10's, etc. Don't worry about getting fancy chrome or neoprene-covered ones -- go to a serious athletic store like Academy Sports and get the cheap iron ones. The VHS or DVD plus the starter set of weights will cost you $35 - $40 max and you'll be good to go for 4 to 8 weeks before you buy anything else.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:35 PM   #9  

well,.. hubby brought me home a 5lb weight/barbell. Funny thing is that he only got one! LOL I guess I can use it on one side and then switch and do the other..:-) Bless his heart though,.. at least he remembered that i wanted some weights.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:54 PM   #10  

Weight lifting at home can be pretty inexpensive to start doing. Check out your local library to see if they have any of the videos or dvds other people have mentioned and try them out for free. There may also be good books you could take out, one of my roommates had a "weight lifting for dummies" book that explained how to put together a routine pretty clearly.

Also, you can start out by using cans of food or filled water bottles as weights. It sounds funny, but when I'm doing something new or difficult, a 32 oz water bottle makes a pretty convenient 2 pound weight.
katia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:54 PM   #11  

I went online to look for weight dvds and ended up getting a dvd for part of hubby's christmas present and :Leslie Sansone's "You can do Yoga"...