Old 10-20-2004, 12:48 PM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default who watched The Biggest Loser last nite?

I saw the commercials for this and taped it last night, just watching it now. Anyone else watch it? I think the red team is ultimately going to win because Jillian is really kicking their butts and the other trainer is a bit too easy so far, let's see how they do in the long run. I like Jillian ripping up the guys cigarettes. Looks like a good show. It'll be nice to see these people losing weight on national tv. How could you pig out on tv when you know millions will be watching you?
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:54 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

When I first heard about the show, which was first run in one of the European countries, I thought about trying to get info on it and doing it. I forgot about it until I heard about the show recently. I didn't watch it though. I have 2 feelings about it being exploitative but also trying to show the struggle of people losing weight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:00 PM   #3  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

No I did not get to see this. I really wanted to. I do see the USA network will reair the first episode on Monday October 25th at 7:00pm. I am going to set my VCR now.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:28 PM   #4  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

I watched it, and I think there's a lot more positive than negative. Nelie, initially I completely shared your take on the exploitation factor. And in watching it, there truly are some gratuitous fat shots plus some more that makes you go, "ouch!" for the obese community in general and the participants in particular. But they're based on reality, not exaggerations; for example, laying out all the food that the participants used to eat can be pretty shocking, but maybe it's important to see, and maybe it will inspire thought in the minds of the overweight watching the show, not just the folks who might sit in judgement. So far, I can see the possibility of it "feeding" some of the stereotypes which exist about the overweight, but more than that I think it could be motivating to those who need some help and it could humanize the struggle to those who can't relate.

I really found it both touching and a little inspiring, and I do think that making human the very real struggles that all of us have in making the necessary behavioral changes and pushing ourselves could have a positive effect as well. Your heart goes out to those people, and you're really rooting for them. Sometimes bringing things to light and making them more accessible -- and human -- to people can go a long way to opening minds and hearts to the lives and realities of others.

Jen, I'm not yet decided on that. Bob, the blue team's coach, has gone farther I think in bringing the team together, so at least at this point it seemed like they were a bit more supportive of one another, and all of us here know how much that sense of support and unity can impact our success. Jillian kicks some major a** for sure, but over the long haul that strategy may not prove as consistently productive with all of her team members. We'll have to see!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:35 PM   #5  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Well I just finished watching it and seeing that some of them lost like 10-15 lbs in one week...well it wanted me to go out and exercise for several hours!! Seeing them get on the scale and see how much they had lost...that was so great. Can you imagine getting on that scale and having lost all that weight in one week? Mind I'll bet a lot of it is water but you figure that much weight lost there is still a lot of fat lost there too. It will be good to see some of them lose a lot of weight. Also I think it is good that people see that weight can be lost by diet and exercise and that it doesn't have to be some whacked out plan or program.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:02 PM   #6  
beautiful

ack i missed it!!!!! crap crap crap! i was soooo wanting to watch it.
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

I cant bring myself to watch it. Seems like exploitation. In the commercials it seems like they are putting down fat people. "Oh,.. fat people cant help but eat all this fat food,..etc etc" Plus the fact that i LOATHE reality television. blagh
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:07 PM   #8  
it's always something

Heather, your instincts were right, they did play on the obesity stereotype and used piles of fattening food as a gimmick everywhere. I was so disappointed in every aspect of this show. I guess I was expecting a motivational "Body Challenge" type show, like they do on the Discovery Channel every year. The Body Challenge looks at weight loss with realistic expectations, and teaches you to live a healthy lifestyle. The Biggest Loser was the polar opposite of Body Challenge.

That's just my opinion
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:29 PM   #9  

Default The Biggest Loser

I watched it on tape. Got all the way to the end and my tape quit just as they were weighing in the last person. I admit the show held my interest, but I felt it was very exploitive. As we all know, losing weight is a serious business and necessary for better health. I could sympathisize with all the participants but I didn't like it being turned into a "Survivor"-like competition, where one person per week is eliminated. Sure, they lose 20 or 30 lbs is a week or so, but do you think they're going to continue once they're booted off the show and lose their personal trainer? Also, it's a medical fact that men lose more weight faster than women because of they have more muscle, so women are at a disadvantage in the competition. I also didn't like the way they made them climb in through the window during the tug of war -- this was done for laughs and could actually have injured someone. The show is tacky and exploitive. I prefer "Health Cops" on Disc Health Channel.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:14 PM   #10  
missaprylj

I missed it too.... I was out TP'ing a friend's car!

I'll catch the re-run for sure though!
Old 10-20-2004, 06:34 PM   #11  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

As I said above maybe some of you did not see. They are showing the first episode on the USA network Monday Oct 25th at 7:00 pm.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:39 PM   #12  
Crazy Canuck

There's a Canadian show (on Lifetime Network, I believe) called "Taking it Off" where the progress of 8 or 9 people is tracked over a period of several months. I've watched both seasons and have been impressed because its not in the least exploitive and the focus is not only on the chosen diet and/or exercise regime of each individual, but there's significant insight into their respective lifestyles (job, family life, relationships, economic/social background, etc.) and the participants freely disclose their thoughts about how their interaction with food affects their life. Each person follows a different program and the starting weights vary dramatically. For example, there was the single father of two who was in his early 40s and weighed over 400lbs. compared to the 20 something model wannabe who felt she needed to lose 20lbs. It's both heartwarming and heartbreaking watching their struggles and successes. One girl became pregnant early into the show, but continued with her program and safely lost weight. At the end of each week there's a weigh-in (to "Dragnet" music) and at the end of the series a "before and after" segment which is priceless, but by no means is it a contest to see who can lose the most weight and there's no big prize offered - its more of a social documentary than a "Reality TV" show (there is a "Cheat of the Week" segment that some could find offensive, but even that is handled sensitively and with humour). I really hope they do a third season.

Last edited by Jillegal; 10-20-2004 at 09:15 PM.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:48 PM   #13  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

UGHHH! No cable here. Not much of a TV person. I'll just have to watch vicariously through your eyes . . .
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 09:21 PM   #14  

I really enjoyed it. Sure, it may have been exploitive, but I like the overall message behind the show, getting healthy, one way or another. If these people can make real changes and inspire others to do the same then I'm all for it. This country needs a wake up call when it comes to health and fitness and maybe this can help motivate more people to follow suit. I'm sure I'll continue watching it, I'm looking forward to seeing their progress and the types of changes this makes in their lives. But I'm a suckah for reality t.v., I've always been fascinated with seeing how other people deal with stuff.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:07 PM   #15  
Live for the Moment!

Didn't get a chance to see Biggest Loser last night and I meant too.. Oh well, thanks to Howie, now I can catch the repeat.

As for "Taking it Off" - Jill, I loved that one.. I'm really hoping they do a 3rd as well. I'll look into it and if I find anything I'll let you know.
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote