Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 10:48 AM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default Fat Free or Low Fat Mayo

Can anybody recommend one that doesn't taste like dookie?
Old 09-08-2004, 01:11 PM   #2  

Sorry Jennifer - I have found that they all pretty much taste like "dookie" :-)

I just got used to using less of the real thing. If you want to use it for chicken/tuna salad, etc. I have found that simply thinning it out with water (believe it or not.....) works really well or even a little vinegar for tang. For dressings/dips I add yogurt or cottage cheese. Besides, you don't want all those nasty chemicals anyway........

Hugs,
Regina
Old 09-08-2004, 02:12 PM   #3  
Gonna make it this time!

Wink

I have tried and now use the Hellman's Just 2 Good, which is lighter and their light and really like it. Now, I only use mayo in checken salads, etc. I am not a mayo on my sandwich kind of a perosn. So in that case it may not taste as good. I've even got my husband using Light Miracle Whip and he has never said it tasted funny on his sandwich!
I like the "dookie" comment as well!!
Have a great day!
Beth
Old 09-08-2004, 03:47 PM   #4  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobaccygirl
(And Jennifer, can't believe you said "dookie"......... haven't heard that since growing up in rural North Carolina! )
Well, we live in East Tennessee, if that tells you anything

I recently discovered the Hellman's Just 2 Good, too! I really like it. I also use the real thing, but just less of it, like Regina. I guess it depends on what you use it on.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:05 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

i've been enjoying [and i MEAN that] hellman's and that other company's FLAVORED light mayo's... i can't tell the two brands apart!!! <shame on me> but between the two of them, they have chipotle, and wasabi horseradish and a garlic/herb and a bacon/tomato.

very very good... much better than dookie, which is something i can only imagine, since joisy girls don't say dookie...
Old 09-08-2004, 05:24 PM   #6  
Meg

Dare we ask what Joisey girls DO say??
Old 09-08-2004, 11:26 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

Joisey girls say !

Jiffy, I know which ones you are talking about. I had the chipotle flavored last summer. I didn't remember it being lite, yayy! That will take care of wraps and sammitches. I need the plain mayo for chicken salad, etc.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:49 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

jennifer KNOWS what joisy girls say...

and jennifer... the garlic/herb would be good on chicken salad. and so would the bacon/tomato [i think.. i don't usually let go of the chipotle to try anything else!!!! but i will say that the wasabi horseradish is FABULOUS on turkey! and roast beef]
Old 09-10-2004, 01:12 PM   #9  

The problem I've always had with light mayo -- even the good brands like Hellman's and Kraft -- is that they taste like Miracle Whip, not mayonnaise. I HATE Miracle Whip. I LIVE for Kraft real mayonnaise. So, I just use a little of the real thing when I need some on a sandwich. If I'm making something like chicken salad, I'll add a little reduced-fat sour cream or plain yogurt to stretch it out.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:52 AM   #10  
FerretNose

I figured something out today- tuna fish is much better mixed with small curd cottage cheese than low fat mayo. I usually put the mixture on Wasa crackers.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:09 AM   #11  

Just 2 good is the best! To me it tastes just like real mayo and it is so much better for you. I would reccomend it for anything. When it comes to tuna I really like to not drain it till it is dry but not leave so much water it is runny, and just eat it plain with some pepper on it. Even with Just 2 good in it this is still much healthier.
Try it, you might like it if it not too dry but not mushy!

Tye
Old 09-23-2004, 09:13 AM   #12  
it's always something

The best tuna salad I ever had wasn't even made with mayo. It had a lot of teenie tiny diced potatoes, a small amount of corn kernels, cooked diced onions and peppers, and was tossed with a viniagrette that wasn't too tangy.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:21 AM   #13  
Meg

Do you have a recipe?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:29 AM   #14  
it's always something

No Believe it or not, it came out of a can! When I spent that year in England, I didn't have a stove, so I depended on a lot of prepared foods (not as bad as it sounds, they are much healthier over there) The tuna salad came in little tins with foil lids that you peel back. I tried to duplicate it here, and came pretty close, but not good enough. I really should go back to the drawing board with that one, because it would be well worth it to clone.

I still have a photo of it, from the days when we did food reviews of UK products.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tunasalad.jpg (14.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 09-27-2004, 11:27 PM   #15  
it's always something

I buy mayo (any version) just once or twice a year, so I really can't remember what they all taste like, lol. But I do remember liking the Just2Good. Maybe I should buy a few small jars of each and do a taste test!
Closed Thread