Old 10-07-2004, 12:43 AM   #1  

Smile Any tips for the new girl?

Hello!

I'm new to 3FC, but an old pro at dieting. With my 33rd birthday on the horizon, I'm yet again inspired to tackle my weight problem head on. I lost over 120 lbs. two years ago and put almost all of it back on-- I swear, I thought I had it figured out. Eating healthy foods, exercise, good attitude. But I didn't have the coping skills to deal with a really hard new job . Exercise didn't seem possible after working 14 hours a day; ice cream did.

So use me as a cautionary tale if it helps! I'm here to do it again, and am looking for support to work on the coping part. I got rid of the job, but you've got to be ready for whatever else is around the corner waiting to sabotage all of your hard work!

Any advice for someone new to the forum? Anyone else coming back from a major setback? Help!
SkinnyBoPeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:47 AM   #2  
beautiful

you've come to the right place! you will get so much information and tips from all the great people on this board. welcome!
jkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 12:56 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Welcome BoPeep!

The biggest advice I can give you is to plan, plan your meals, plan your exercise, plan plan and plan some more

Of course the usual advice applies
- Drink plenty of water, it helps ward off hunger and keeps your body hydrated.
- Try to get in SOME exercise every day
- Read labels, watch for hidden sugars/fats in food
- Eat your veggies
- Watch your portions

That is all I have for the moment
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 02:49 AM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I'm coming back after a major setback!

My advice to you would be don't drink your calories. Welcome to the fold!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:27 PM   #5  

Remember that even a 5-minute walk a couple of times per day counts. All those old tricks regarding taking stairs instead of elevators, parking in the spot furthest from the front door, etc. all increase your daily calorie burn and really help in the long run.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Welcome. I agree with the planning. It can mean the difference between staying within your eating program and eating 3000 calories or more from binging and poor choices.
I also now walk when I need to deposit money into the bank (about 2 blocks there), walk to the library(2.5 blocks), walk to the pharmacy to pick up my baby's prescription once a month (3 blocks), etc. I also will get up all throughout the day at work and walk back and forth in the building just to move some.

I know over in the maintainers forum they have some great tips as well. Once you get to your goal, set a limit of how much you will allow yourself to gain and when you reach that go back into "losing mode" stuff like that.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:28 PM   #7  

Hi! I Am Marie From Milwaukee. I Am Trying To Motivate Here Too. I Am So Uncomfortable. I Had Lost About 75 Lbs. Two Years Ago And Gained Back And More. With The Death Of My Mom And Dad, Who Cared Anymore. I Am Trying To Motivate, And I Have About 1/4 Of What I Need To Do. So I Am Here. I See It Has Been Since 4/2002 Since I Was Here Last! That Was Actually Between Losing My Dad And A Good Friend. Help! I Need To Get The Spirit Of This Again. I Am Already Going...my Favorite Frozen Custard Is In The Freezer Or Take The Dog For A Walk. Help!!!!
magrbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:54 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I was just thinking about activity today and I think it is really important. I know a lot of people worry about exercise and not being able to do 5 hours of exercise a day I do believe exercise is important and I make an effort to try to do SOMETHING purely exercise related each day. Besides exercise though, becoming (more) active is important. Parking further away, walking/biking to places not too far away, taking the stairs, taking a walking break while at work, etc, those are all things that help to create a more active you and they are little things that help to burn more calories in a normal day.

I think activity has become very important in my life, so much so that I have developed a pet peeve when I go to the store and it is when people wait for spots that are literally 5 feet closer than an open spot. I also get annoyed when people just leave their carts anywhere. I generally view them as small things that anyone should do but they don't always.

So look for ways to be more active, no matter how small they may seem, they do build up.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:07 PM   #9  

Thank you all for writing. These are great suggestions I will absolutely take to heart!

Oh Marie, I’m so sorry about your parents. Taking care of yourself takes a major backseat when you’re dealing with grief and struggling just to get through the day. Congratulations for coming back here and beginning fresh. I know what you mean about being uncomfortable. I feel like I got myself out of a “prison” I swore I’d never go back to only to end up locked up inside all this fat again. I think the worst part for me is running into people who I haven’t seen in a long time who knew me fat, praised me when I lost it all, and are seeing me for the first time having gained it all back. How humiliating!!!! I just want to crawl under the nearest rock. Oh wait, I don't fit!

It feels so awful to wear your weaknesses and failures on the outside where everyone can see it. A personality flaw, you can hide somewhat, but not 100 extra pounds…

Anyway thank you all again and I will definitely be practicing your suggestions. Good luck to all of us!

P.S.- PrettyFace, I’ll race you to 250 at Christmas!

Last edited by SkinnyBoPeep; 10-07-2004 at 10:11 PM.
SkinnyBoPeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:20 PM   #10  
missaprylj

Big Tip: Don't get into the mentality "I already screwed up eating a few too many potato chips, so bring on the cheesecake, soda, and candy."

It will suck all of your positive energy right up.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:37 AM   #11  
PamPSM644

I keep a diet diary and plan each meal ahead of time. Don't worry if you backslide occationally.Just dust yourself off and go back at it .I"ve found it matters more what I eat regularly then what I eat at a moment of weakness. Go places and do things where food is not welcome like the library or the dog park.Come talk and crow or complain to us, we'll alway listen.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:42 AM   #12  

Cool

Hi! This is Marie again. Thanks for your condolences. It is hard, but it is time to get motivated and move on with life. It helped getting on here already. I made myself do a 35 minute walk Friday when i got home. I am waiting for pay day so i can finally go to the store and buy some good diet food....right now we are living on a shoe string till next Friday. I don't have a computer at home so i need to check in on here during work. I need to do some digging to find my old Weight Watchers points schedule. I think just writing stuff down will help get on track. I think it makes you more aware of what you eat!

Everyone have a happy Monday!!
magrbag is offline   Reply With Quote