Old 10-06-2004, 12:47 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Need flexibility help

Obviously I have a bit of fat that generally gets in the way of my flexibility but I also have flexibility issues that aren't related to the extra fat

I'm actually flexible in some ways except if it deals with my legs/hips. When I took the kickboxing class today, I noticed that everyone was kicking way higher than I was and I was ok with it but I decided I wanted to kick higher. It is more than just making the effort, it is that I am not that flexible in that area. So today I bought "Crunch Candlelight yoga" which I think is a great yoga video but it again pointed out my inflexibility in the hips/legs.

So, can anyone recommend any videos/websites/specific stretch exercises that would help me increase my flexibility in the hip/leg area? I know yoga will help but i'd like to do some things that are specifically geared toward flexibility in this area.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I don't know a whole lot about flexibility, I just know what works for my body.. which is consistant stretching. You don't really have to do THAT much I find, just do it daily. The stretch which helps my legs the most is when I stand with my legs shoulder width apart, and bend at the waist and breath into the stretch. It gets those pesky muscles on the back of my thighs, which are always really tight on me from walking and my work. Hope this helps a little bit.
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:46 PM   #3  

First, there is a genetic component here, so improvement is possible but this may be an area where you are always more limited.

Second, keep doing yoga -- it WILL help. I speak from experience! If you can start attending a yoga class, that would be even better, because you can get more personalized help in these areas.

Third, you might also look into a video by Tamilee Webb called Total Stretch for Beginners. I like the DVD version because it is a compilation of two earlier videos. I started doing this before I even started yoga, and it really helped. I incorporated a lot of the moves in my post-workout routine, and drastically increased the amount of time I spend stretching after weight workouts. That really helped!
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:09 AM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Ok, here's one of my few fitness bragging points. I can kick WAY over my head. Mostly because I have incredibly flexible hip rotators (that's your hip socket). Sad thing is, I can't touch my toes because my Hamstrings are so tight.

My secret to flexible hips is ridiculous; I'm very comfortable watching tv in a butterfly stretch (http://www.idahofitness.com/running/...nditioning.htm). If I could, I would sit in a butterfly stretch all day. I have no idea why, it's just comfy.

But that's the cool thing about streching is that it doesn't have to be a workout. You can add it to your daily routine - brush your teeth while holding a butterfly stretch, read the mail while stretching out your hamsprings (or ham hocks as I lovingly call them).

Have fun!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 11:56 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Oh Jessica I'm so jealous. My hips are tight, my hamstrings are tight but my back is loose. The only thing I can do and that I've impressed a few people with is the cobra because I can bend my back way back.

Last night was my 3rd night of doing a yoga tape (I've done 2 different ones so far) and I could already tell that it is helping my flexibility, even though the difference is very slight. The butterfly stretch actually pissed me off though because my left leg didn't want to go down very far, but I'll keep working on it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 03:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Jessica I like to sit like that too. When I was younger and way more flexible I used to put one foot on my knee, cross my legs and sit with the other foot on top of the other knee (if that makes sense) I used to could also do the splits (legs beside not out in front and back) and then bend my legs behind me, lay flat and then get up. Now I'm lucky to get like 2 feet off the ground trying to do the splits.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote